Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)  (Read 2212 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: October 01, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »

I agree with a fair amount of hifly's foreign policy views, with the exception of ISIS, unilateral action with the veto power and a few smaller things. But that's not my problem with the nomination. Someone's personal beliefs, even pretty disgusting ones like in the concentration camps thread should not be completely disqualifying. Hell, snowstalker is our AG. This is less true for roles which have a lot of leeway like SoIA SoEA and especially GM, but I still think it applies.

More importantly, in his time in the mideast and on the forum more generally hifly has been a controversial character, to say the least. To be SoEA you need to be able to work with people and I have not seen any evidence that the nominee is capable of this. Atlasia is in a lot of ways proof that people don't change. Napoleon, for instance, has always given up the job after holding it for a while, no matter the assurances.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »

I agree with a fair amount of hifly's foreign policy views, with the exception of ISIS, unilateral action with the veto power and a few smaller things. But that's not my problem with the nomination. Someone's personal beliefs, even pretty disgusting ones like in the concentration camps thread should not be completely disqualifying. Hell, snowstalker is our AG. This is less true for roles which have a lot of leeway like SoIA SoEA and especially GM, but I still think it applies.

More importantly, in his time in the mideast and on the forum more generally hifly has been a controversial character, to say the least. To be SoEA you need to be able to work with people and I have not seen any evidence that the nominee is capable of this. Atlasia is in a lot of ways proof that people don't change. Napoleon, for instance, has always given up the job after holding it for a while, no matter the assurances.

All my bills, (Water Fluoridation, Illegal immigrants and abortion, and Marriage), have been controversial and certainly would not have passed had it not been for my ability to form working relationships with my fellow legislators. Despite ideological differences, I get on very well with Mechaman, Spiral and the present Executive leadership in the Mideast. Ideology is not a barrier to working relationships.
I certainly look forward to working with you, if you allow me to, senator.

Just to pick one example from there, the marriage bill passed after 24 hours of debate with no amendments and because DC happens to agree with it. I don't consider that a good example of having a good working relationship with political opponents.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

All my bills, (Water Fluoridation, Illegal immigrants and abortion, and Marriage), have been controversial and certainly would not have passed had it not been for my ability to form working relationships with my fellow legislators. Despite ideological differences, I get on very well with Mechaman, Spiral and the present Executive leadership in the Mideast. Ideology is not a barrier to working relationships.
I certainly look forward to working with you, if you allow me to, senator.

Just to pick one example from there, the marriage bill passed after 24 hours of debate with no amendments and because DC happens to agree with it. I don't consider that a good example of having a good working relationship with political opponents.

There was only one member who would vote against... And he would have voted against it regardless of how long it took to debate. The President would not have nominated me had he thought I was incapable of working relationships and serving Atlasia well. I encourage you to support me.

That's true, but it also means you can't use that bill as an example of you working with opponents.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies