Charlie Rangel, still a moron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:58:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Charlie Rangel, still a moron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Charlie Rangel, still a moron  (Read 1443 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »

I'm more pro-war taxes than pro-draft with what Rangel said. Young people are already anti-war. It's the elders that need to feel some sort of burden.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

If Rangel wants the people who vote for war to feel the burden, he should advocate that there be a draft just among the members of Congress. Not their children or family members - the members of Congress themselves.  After all, it's not like his concern is anything to do with military readiness.

Sure we can have a "war tax," whatever that is. Except that would just encourage politicians to do what they are already doing, which is to pretend we are not at war by calling it something else.  And since really we are almost continuously at war, we can expect whatever the war tax consists of will just become commonplace and become part of the normal budget over time.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »

If he tries to get me drafted I'm driving to Mexico. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »

People... defending Rangel. Done.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

Thankfully this will be Rangel's last term. He should've fallen on his sword back in 2010.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.  Sure, we can expect it from Snowbigot (who never even showed up), lief and Joe...the boring contrarians, but not from King and Franzl.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.  Sure, we can expect it from Snowbigot (who never even showed up), lief and Joe...the boring contrarians, but not from King and Franzl.

Charlie Rangel isn't the worst member of Congress by any stretch of the imagination.  He has been a powerful member and tried to do his job, even though it's fairly unnecessary in a district where Democrats can't lose.  And, he isn't Louie Gomert or really the root of the problem with Congress. He's better than  my Congressman until 2012, Ed Towns, was a old, crusty, corrupt machine politician representing a D + one billion and a half district too, but he barely ever did anything. 

That's the problem with these urban districts, there's no competition so nobody cares or pays attention.  You get these corrupt geezers in there and nobody can ever hold them accountable.  You can even get exposed as corrupt like Rangel and still win primaries because of the racial factors and machine politics of NY.  Unfortunately, NYC voters are so beat down we've come to expect it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.  Sure, we can expect it from Snowbigot (who never even showed up), lief and Joe...the boring contrarians, but not from King and Franzl.

I wasn't defending Rangel, for the record. Only remarked that there is a theoretical justification for conscription, which in practice doesn't work as intended.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 07:50:50 AM »

Yeah Rangel blows, but he's got a point here imo
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies