Charlie Rangel, still a moron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:44:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Charlie Rangel, still a moron (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charlie Rangel, still a moron  (Read 1488 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »

He has a point in general that the US would probably be more reluctant to fight wars if the average person had to actually fight them. Although practice shows that drafts are never fair and smart (and/or rich) peoole can always get out of them. I played the German system (where conscriptees would never actually do anything but basic training) too until it was abolished a few years ago.

So despite the theoretically sound argument in favor, it doesn't accomplish what it's meant to accomplish, and most militaries don't seem to want people that don't want to be there.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:36:42 AM »

He has a point in general that the US would probably be more reluctant to fight wars if the average person had to actually fight them.
AGAIN, the military IS a near perfect cross section of the US at large.  It's full of "average" people.

Poor wording in my post. I meant to say, if every person could be chosen randomly, as opposed to ensuring one does not fight by simply choosing not to join the military.

But again, I'm not advocating this as it never works.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.  Sure, we can expect it from Snowbigot (who never even showed up), lief and Joe...the boring contrarians, but not from King and Franzl.

I wasn't defending Rangel, for the record. Only remarked that there is a theoretical justification for conscription, which in practice doesn't work as intended.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies