FCC considering banning Redskins name
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:07:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FCC considering banning Redskins name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: FCC considering banning Redskins name  (Read 2181 times)
Ntwadumela
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »

"The Federal Communications Commission is weighing whether to ban TV stations from saying the name of Washington's football team."

Our tax dollars at work.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:26:37 AM »

Good
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:27:17 AM »

Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:29:37 AM »

It's putting up with dumb stuff like this, day in and day out, that will drive this country towards civil war.  What next, does the left hate US traditions to the point that they will consider the Patriots' moniker offensive?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »

It's putting up with dumb stuff like this, day in and day out, that will drive this country towards civil war.  What next, does the left hate US traditions to the point that they will consider the Patriots' moniker offensive?

Yes, that's next on the Liberal Agenda.
Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »

Yes, that's next on the Liberal Agenda.

No, I'm sure the next Liberal Agenda will be something only a liberal could come up with, like banning toilet paper.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »

The Redskins should definitely change their name, but I've never heard of the FCC doing anything this drastic before. Probably not a good precedent to be setting, from a liberal standpoint. Wouldn't there be First Amendment issues at work?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:44 AM »

The government supports banning free speech because it's offensive? Good to know
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »

The Redskins should definitely change their name, but I've never heard of the FCC doing anything this drastic before. Probably not a good precedent to be setting, from a liberal standpoint. Wouldn't there be First Amendment issues at work?

The FCC regulates obscene language on broadcast television based on the fact that broadcasters use the public airways.  That's the logic that they use to regulate the use of swear words, nudity, etc.  You could argue that the FCC's policy on swear words is actually unconstitutional in general and I would agree actually.

But, if you regulate the f-word and the n-word, the racial slur "redskin" could easily fall into that category.
Ntwadumela
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »

But, if you regulate the f-word and the n-word, the racial slur "redskin" could easily fall into that category.

What I find really irritating is that this is all pandering.  Dems don't really care if a scant few find the name Redskins offensive.  It’s the worst kind of pandering, the kind that makes you want to take a bat to someone’s knees.

I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan, and I used to literally hate the Redskins in the 70’s and 80’s, but this PC BS makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of Redskins gear.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:18 AM »

Does the FCC actually ban the use of the n-word?  I've definitely seen it used on cable networks, but don't remember hearing it used on any of the broadcast networks since the 80s.  But I assumed that was just self-censorship.

Are there any other ethnic slurs (as opposed to swear words like f--k and s--t) banned by the FCC?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »

Does the FCC actually ban the use of the n-word?  I've definitely seen it used on cable networks, but don't remember hearing it used on any of the broadcast networks since the 80s.  But I assumed that was just self-censorship.

Are there any other ethnic slurs (as opposed to swear words like f--k and s--t) banned by the FCC?

The FCC doesn't ban words.  They ban profane language which would include someone using the n-word in many contexts, so yes.  Certainly, you could use the n-word in a historical film or documentary, but it would be profane in other contexts.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »

I know for a fact that Weezie said "n please" several times on The Jeffersons (always to George and always with a huge positive reaction from the live crowd) and I'm fairly certain it was used on Good Times and All in the Family as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 01:30:52 AM »

I know for a fact that Weezie said "n please" several times on The Jeffersons (always to George and always with a huge positive reaction from the live crowd) and I'm fairly certain it was used on Good Times and All in the Family as well.

Yeah, I know.  It was definitely used on broadcast television as late as the 80s, but I can't think of any examples after that.

Years ago, weren't there some broadcast stations that ran reruns of South Park late at night?  How would they have handled "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson"?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »

Yeah, I know.  It was definitely used on broadcast television as late as the 80s, but I can't think of any examples after that.

Years ago, weren't there some broadcast stations that ran reruns of South Park late at night?  How would they have handled "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson"?

OK.  But, as I said, it's not a list of specific words that the FCC bans.  Here's their definition of profane language.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The n-word can be about as offensive as any word in the dictionary, depending on the context. And, I also don't think these rules apply to late night TV anyway.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 01:43:54 AM »

I welcome a second civil war. It's about time we gave those uppity southrons another whoopin'.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

Why? You want to ban a word from TV?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »

The FCC doesn't ban words.  They ban profane language which would include someone using the n-word in many contexts, so yes.  Certainly, you could use the n-word in a historical film or documentary, but it would be profane in other contexts.
I don't see how they could justify that in the context of "redskin." It may be a slur, but when sports programs and the like mention the name of the team, they aren't slurring Native Americans. If you consider that to be a slur, then there's no way you could prohibit this "slurring" without banning use of the word entirely.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »

You can make the case that the government just shouldn't ban words on TV, but the government does engage in censorship. There should not be a double standard when it comes to different racial slurs.  I'm sure the FCC would act more swiftly against a name like the "Washington Negroes".
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »

You can make the case that the government just shouldn't ban words on TV, but the government does engage in censorship. There should not be a double standard when it comes to different racial slurs.  I'm sure the FCC would act more swiftly against a name like the "Washington Negroes".
Let's say the government bans all racist speech against blacks. Obviously, that's a violation of free speech. Would it then be preferable for the government to ban all racist speech against Hispanics? That would just be an even greater violation of free speech.

If we can agree that the government shouldn't be banning racist speech, then I don't see why it makes sense for the government to do so to an even greater extent. Imposing even more restrictions on speech in the name "fighting double standards" doesn't seem like a logical thing to do if you accept the premise that the government shouldn't be restricting this sort of speech to begin with.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »

Let's say the government bans all racist speech against blacks. Obviously, that's a violation of free speech. Would it then be preferable for the government to ban all racist speech against Hispanics? That would just be an even greater violation of free speech.

If we can agree that the government shouldn't be banning racist speech, then I don't see why it makes sense for the government to do so to an even greater extent. Imposing even more restrictions on speech in the name "fighting double standards" doesn't seem like a logical thing to do if you accept the premise that the government shouldn't be restricting this sort of speech to begin with.

I'm actually ok with some government censorship (though the government can get carried away).  I tend to be ambivalent about restrictions regarding racist speech on television.  Censorship can be a necessary evil in some cases.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »

I don't want to ban the word from usage on television, I want to ban it from usage anywhere, in any context.

I welcome a second civil war. It's about time we gave those uppity southrons another whoopin'.

Also this.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »

I don't see how they could justify that in the context of "redskin." It may be a slur, but when sports programs and the like mention the name of the team, they aren't slurring Native Americans. If you consider that to be a slur, then there's no way you could prohibit this "slurring" without banning use of the word entirely.

No, I think generally the FCC actually prefers when there is a contextual reason to use a profane word.  So, you can't use a lack of intent to harm or offend as a reason why you can use a certain word.  Really, the subjective intent not to offend is pretty much immaterial.  It's about whether members of the public would generally find the use of the word offensive.  We can argue about that, but it's certainly an offensive word to many people.

But again, in my opinion, it is a violation of the First Amendment for the FCC to regulate profanity.  There are a few areas where you can restrict speech, like libel, obscenity, the fire in the crowded theater scenario.  But, I don't think the government has any business restricting profanity. 
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2014, 10:30:49 AM by BaconBacon96 »

How utterly stupid. This will achieve nothing except the further erosion of free speech.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies