FCC considering banning Redskins name (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:55:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FCC considering banning Redskins name (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FCC considering banning Redskins name  (Read 2248 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: October 01, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »

I don't want to ban the word from usage on television, I want to ban it from usage anywhere, in any context.

I welcome a second civil war. It's about time we gave those uppity southrons another whoopin'.

Also this.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »

I don't want to ban the word from usage on television, I want to ban it from usage anywhere, in any context.

wow....you can stop changing your politics, you're certainly in the right party now.

It's like calling a team the Chinks or the Spearchuckers. You can rationalize it any way you want, if it's considered by the people it's targeting to be a racial slur, then it's a racial slur. White people don't get to tell minorities what is offensive to them, and they most certainly don't get to say "suck it up" if they find it offensive. It shouldn't even be a matter of one's politics. It's a matter of "how okay with you that people are using a dictionary-defined racial slur to refer to a sports team?"
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

That would make the news reports on the banning itself somewhat awkward.

"And in other news, the FCC has banned the name...the word...the racial slur...the..........other r-word"
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »

Um Carl, aside from the obvious constitutional and legal problems that would arise, how in the hell would this be enforced?

Obviously I didn't mean a literal ban on the word that would involve, like, jail for people who use the word. I'm talking about not using the word ever unless it's to say "the team used to be called the Redskins" or whatever. Using it as an adjective to describe people, essentially, is what I want people to stop doing. Basically, I want it handled the same way the n-word is handled. White people shouldn't use it unless it's in a historical context, but black people can use it because it's their word. If Natives choose to use the word "redskin" to describe each other, so be it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies