Report confirms that FL is still a 3rd world-like state when it comes to voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:03:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Report confirms that FL is still a 3rd world-like state when it comes to voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Report confirms that FL is still a 3rd world-like state when it comes to voting  (Read 632 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »

Report: Fla. voters had country’s longest waits to cast ballots

Voters in Florida waited far longer than those in other states to cast their votes in the 2012 election, hampered by long ballots and cutbacks in early voting options, according to a new report by congressional auditors.

Voters in the state stood in line more than 34 minutes on average, significantly longer than ballot-casters did in any other state reviewed by the Government Accountability Office, Congress’ watchdog.

The shortest waits? Alaska, at just 1.4 minutes.

Three others states had wait times about 25 or more minutes: Maryland, Virginia and South Carolina. But most of the others fell somewhere between five minutes and 20 minutes, on average.

In Florida, the GAO estimated, 16 percent of voters waited 61 minutes or more to cast their ballots — tops among the states surveyed.

“People should not have to stand in line for hours to exercise their constitutional right to vote,” U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, said in a statement.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article2357245.html

And that means something: Not even in poor countries like Brazil you have to wait a few hours to cast your ballot.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »

Do you know what "third world" means?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »

Simfan, I have absolutely no clue what it means ... please educate me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »

23% of Floridian blacks are dq'ed from voting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/felon-voting-laws-disenfranchise-sentencing-project_n_1665860.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »

There is no constitutional right to vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

And much like a 3rd world country, a blatant criminal is in charge.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

And much like a 3rd world country, a blatant criminal is in charge.
And a corrupt opposition candidate who is frequently in and out of office is running against him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »

If there is one place where succession for a 51st state would do much more good than harm to many people, it would be for Dade, Osceola, Orange, Monroe, Palm Beach and Broward counties.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »

Please don't insult the good people administering elections in third world countries by comparing them to Florida.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »

If there is one place where succession for a 51st state would do much more good than harm to many people, it would be for Dade, Osceola, Orange, Monroe, Palm Beach and Broward counties.

We say this all the time. The state would be so much better if we could eject Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

We say this all the time. The state would be so much better if we could eject Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.
I live in Palm Beach County, and I can't wait to get out even if it means I have to move just one county up to Martin. These three counties are more like a tropical suburb of a freaky combination of New York and Las Angeles worst aspects.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »

I live in Palm Beach County, and I can't wait to get out even if it means I have to move just one county up to Martin. These three counties are more like a tropical suburb of a freaky combination of New York and Las Angeles worst aspects.

I know it'd shut down my party's chances of winning for another few cycles, but this would make sense. South Florida bears little similarity to the rest of the state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies