what should be the burden of proof for campus justice system sexual assaults? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:03:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  what should be the burden of proof for campus justice system sexual assaults? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: what should be the burden of proof for campus justice system sexual assaults?
preponderance of the evidence

beyond a reasonable doubt

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: what should be the burden of proof for campus justice system sexual assaults?  (Read 2557 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

If the potential rapist is tried in a real court and found guilty, kick him out.  If me or someone I loved got raped and the only people punishing the bastard was the school I'm going to be super pissed.

But would you rather the school punish him or her, or the perpetrator not receive any punishment at all? What if it was the difference between the victim dropping out of school /transferring or not?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2014, 01:54:38 PM by Beet »

Essentially, deciding between those standards requires that you look at both what is at stake if you get it wrong.  Wrongly labelling someone a rapist and destroying their reputation and future career is really serious business.  That isn't something I would do because I was 50.1% sure they were guilty.  Wrongly forcing someone to pay $1000 damages in a traffic accident is just of a different order of magnitude.  

Well the difference is, everyone is entitled to their liberty and their property (after taxes, etc.) but arguably no one is entitled to a particular reputation or a particular future career. Which the school is not taking away anyway, since it technically isn't preventing the person from being hired or going to another school. Careers are ruined for dumber reasons all the time- someone posted the wrong thing on social media, and it went public, etc., or someone was arrested but never convicted, yet they still have an arrest record. Are those people entitled to compensation from the police, or others spreading harmful information about them?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

at its most basic level, this is one of the problems with a heavily privatized society.  power to mess with lives gets placed in Roger Goodell's hands, or the marching band exec's hands, or with the university professor.  at one level, since they act on behalf of private organizations, they can do whatever they want, fairness be damned... yet somehow, we know this isn't the whole story, that private orgs owe something to the public interest, owing to their social function.

Ok. Then where do you draw the line between an institutional power and a private power? You guys have brought up some good points, but this still makes me very uneasy. Should Roger Goodell have kept Ray Rice in the NFL, then? What if the probability that a rape occurred was substantially more than 50 percent? Should the university not be able to consider the psychological impact it would have on other students? Does the difference in severity between locking a guy up for 20 years, and expelling him from a school, or a marching band, make no difference at all in our willingness to apply remedies?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »

Does the difference in severity between locking a guy up for 20 years, and expelling him from a school, or a marching band, make no difference at all in our willingness to apply remedies?

the standard of proof necessary does not change based on the potential consequences to the accused.  both misdemeanor pot possession and murder call for the same standard of proof in the criminal system.

Yes but murder is a much more serious crime than pot possession, and the differential penalties reflect that. Here we are talking about remedies of a radically different nature for the same crime.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fair enough, the system is by no means consistent now, I'll grant that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies