How many detentions and suspensions did you get in high school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:29:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many detentions and suspensions did you get in high school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
No detentions

1-2 detentions

3-4 detentions

5 or more detentions

No suspensions

At least 1 suspension

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 129

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: How many detentions and suspensions did you get in high school?  (Read 7239 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 02:33:26 AM »

I had heaps of detentions, but only a handful were for behaviour. Most of them were of the "didn't strictly follow dress code" variety. No belt, shirt not tucked in, wrong brand of pants (seriously), no tie on chapel days, etc etc. Absurd stuff. Those netted me more than 5 detentions easily. I did run into trouble several other times for talking out, being a pest, not doing homework, but nothing ever serious (no suspensions).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »

3 Detentions I believe.  And all of them were absolute bullshit.

I'm shocked I didn't get more, given the authoritarians who ran the school.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 03:43:53 AM »

What the f**k? Just three? What kind of pussies were in charge of your school?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:56 AM »

What the f**k? Just three? What kind of pussies were in charge of your school?

That's another way of looking at it, hahaha.

Well, they were the kind of pussies who never heard me swear in class but managed to give a shit if I ran late to class because my car broke down on the way to school, my backpack was stolen by some unknown person(s) (probably a meth addicted piece of shit, knowing Tulsa), or if I just got a nasty case of the runs and had to hit the restroom right before class started and came back 11 minutes later even though my almost girlfriend at the time said I was there before the bell rang.

So yeah.
Panda Express

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »

2-3 detentions- checked off 3-4. I know for sure I got only one in Ottawa in 3 years for not doing Grade 10 science homework, and like half the class that day got a detention for that (the teacher was in a bitchy mood). I got at least one in Riyadh in Grade 9, in the principal's office, for a gross misunderstanding; I may or may not have gotten other ones in MS, though. In both those schools, detentions were served over lunch time, and you just sat around in some classroom and ate your lunch there (and your parents weren't notified). Being a good kid and a dork back then, I kind of panicked when given those detentions and felt really terrible, fearing that I'd be in bigger sh**t.

No suspensions. As far as I know, it was very tough to get suspended in either Ottawa or Riyadh - it would have required something really bad.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »

A few times. It was 30 minutes afters school but my parents never picked me up until an hour after school if I didn't walk home so they never knew about them.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »

Even though I got through high school without any, it was pretty easy to get a detention.  You got one for being late to class for the first time or for forgetting to bring your ID badge.  
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »

A few, mainly because I was a lazy bastard who often didn't do homework.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »

Around 100 detentions. No suspensions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »

A few, mainly because I was a lazy bastard who often didn't do homework.

You're still not doing your homework, as evident from your posts.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »

I don't even know how I would get a detention. The teachers are so nice and lenient here that you have to be REALLY bad to get one, I honestly haven't witnessed someone getting a detention since 8th grade. So the answer would be 0/0.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »

Even though I got through high school without any, it was pretty easy to get a detention.  You got one for being late to class for the first time or for forgetting to bring your ID badge.  

That's screwed up.
GaussLaw
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »

I don't even know how I would get a detention. The teachers are so nice and lenient here that you have to be REALLY bad to get one, I honestly haven't witnessed someone getting a detention since 8th grade. So the answer would be 0/0.

That's interesting.  The general trend in schools seems to be more detentions/suspensions, not fewer.  The only discipline going on its way out is corporal punishment.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2014, 12:56:53 PM by angus »

The only discipline going on its way out is corporal punishment.

Yes, that has gone by the wayside.  Corporal punishment ended around the eighth grade for me.  Up till then we got "licks" from the principal.  After that it was SAC.  The licks were infinitely preferable.  First, it was a bit heroic.  You'd walk back into class and all the kids would look at you in awe.  You became an object of worship to the boys, and a subject of sympathy for the girls.  You get a lot of mileage out of a few licks if you play it right.  "Dude, how many did you get?"  "Did it hurt?"  Second, it never involved the parent.  The principal would always say, "Okay, you know the drill:  Do you take licks or do you take the alternative?"  The alternative being some formalities and paperwork.  It may or may not include detention but it definitely involved communication with the parent, which should be avoided at all cost.  That's a no brainer.  I'll take the licks of course.

My seventh grade principal was Sam Luciano.  Man, he was a perv.  Nothing pleased him more than a 12-year-old boy bending down in front of him while he swung his big, wooden paddle.  We all knew what a perv he was.  His brother Michael, who ran a deli, was an even bigger perv, but we'll save that for another thread.  

The problem with corporal punishment, of course, is that it doesn't work.  If you know that you're going to be "punished" by getting a few swats with a paddle and perhaps become the object of lust for a middle-aged freak for a brief interlude, and then walk back into class a towering mythical legend, then you're not really going to change your behavior.  As a kid, I loved having the option.  As a parent, I definitely would not like it.  First, I'd want to know if my child did something really naughty (and you don't get that under the "licks" system.)  Second, I really don't want old Sam Luciano making my child the subject of his masturbatory fantasies.  It's just creepy.

I think by the time I was in middle school many parents were starting to think that way, and it was pretty much phased out by the time I started high school.  

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

No suspensions, probably 4 or 5 detentions
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »

Suspended once and kicked off the cheer squad.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »

Nice.

Also, consider posting a photo of you in your cheerleader outfit sometime.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

I did several years ago.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

Damn.  I must have missed it.  Not sure how I'd have missed that, but thanks for the response.  Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »

One of each, both during middle school:

- I got a detention for calling some kid a "fat bastard."  I don't remember why, but I'm sure I had my reasons Tongue

- I think my suspension was when I was in sixth grade (could've been seventh though), but either way I did once get four day out-of-school suspension.  There was this kid named Andrew (I think is last name was Hoynen or something like that), who wouldn't stop calling me a Kike for some reason.  After a few days of this, I told him at recess that if he called me a Kike again, I'd break his nose.  He asked me what I'd do if he called my Mom a Kike and I distinctly remember being quite proud of the fact that he still had black eye when I saw him the next Monday (although in hindsight, I probably didn't need to punch him in the face a second or third time, given that he went down after the first one).  I suppose I probably "should" feel bad about not handling it better, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still quite pleased with myself.  While I do remember my Mom being pretty disappointed about how I handled the situation and wasn't allowed to watch any TV until my suspension was over (a pretty lenient punishment given that I could still read, play my gameboy, use the computer, do stuff outside, etc as long as I finished the makeup work my teachers sent home with me first), when my Dad came to pick me up and the Vice-Principal (Mr. Martin, IIRC) was telling him what happened my Dad literally told the Vice-Principal that it was a shame I didn't end up breaking Andrew's nose.  That was pretty awesome!  Plus, Andrew never called me a Kike again (oddly enough, we kinda became friends at some later point during my Middle School years).  Anyway, this was probably one of the high-points of Middle School for me and I'm glad I still remember it so vividly Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »

I probably didn't need to punch him in the face a second or third time

Legendary, my friend.  Nobody fucks with you after that. 

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

Indeed they don't! Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »

Indeed they don't! Smiley

Awesome, bro, just awesome.  Uncle Grumps is proud of you as well.  Cheesy

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »

yeah, I'm pretty sure jdb won the thread.  That's the stuff of Hallmark Channel movies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies