If you were drafted, would you serve or evade? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:35:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were drafted, would you serve or evade? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were drafted, would you serve or dodge?
Dodge half-heartedly

Depends on your support for this war

Serve

Sink to desperate levels to avoid service

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: If you were drafted, would you serve or evade?  (Read 1156 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

A few months ago, I'd have said evade without a second doubt. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm opposed to all inter-imperialist or imperialist conflicts, which is just about every conflict that the United States is probably going to be involved in for the foreseeable future. So no matter what, I would oppose whatever war is going on in the event that I am drafted. The question then becomes which is the better tactic for undermining the war? Is it better to encourage people to evade the draft en masse, or is it better to encourage people to accept the draft, learn how to use a gun and how to survive, and undermine the war from within the ranks of the armed forces?

That question is probably the most important. If there's a draft going on, we're in a situation in which mass numbers of working class kids are being forced into service, which creates the kind of situation that emerged in Vietnam -- internal military rebellion.

I would evade or serve based on which I thought would best advance the class struggle.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

I would evade or serve based on which I thought would best advance the class struggle.

Marxist rhetoric aside, I hope all your answers would be conditional- invading a random country is quite  different from the country being invaded.

The country being invaded would not necessarily be a reason to serve in the armed forces, especially if the invading country is invading doing so as an outgrowth of an existing imperial conflict between this country and our hypothetical invader. In that case, it would probably be best to openly organize a third camp to repel the invaders and take advantage of the weakened state of the capitalists in order to seize power domestically. Essentially the opposite of what the CNT-FAI and POUM did in Spain. Collaborating with the state when revolutionary possibilities exist is to act as a handmaid of reaction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies