DEMOCRATS: Are you angry with my state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:25:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  DEMOCRATS: Are you angry with my state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEMOCRATS: Are you angry with my state?  (Read 4471 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: April 11, 2005, 12:51:36 PM »

I don't hate Ohio. I think Kerry's strategy in the state was brain dead, but that's hardly Ohio's fault.

Kerry was a lark.  Kerry is an excellent US senator with a fine voting record.  I think he can have that office as long as he wants it, but he is not an executive officer.  He's just not made that way.  He is nuanced and understands Law very well.  He is a legislator, and we should not apply the Peter Principle.  I'm not saying the democrats could have won with anyone, in light of the September 11, 2001 attacks which tend to help Republicans, but they certainly should have found a feisty attack dog, not the elder-statesman type that would have trouble winning even in peacetime.  I suspect Hillary and Company understand all that and in light of this it comes as no surprise that the Dems get behind Kerry understanding that this spells a loss in order to set up a free slate in both parties in 2008 which will, if things go well for the democrats, make them the party of the First Female President. 

Surely you were not surprised that Kerry lost.  (or that you lost your five quid on that silly Kerry wins Mississippi bet).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 02:50:20 PM »

But they didn't!!!

There are about a dozen democrats I can think of who could have had the sort of flyover country appeal necessary to make the race competitive.  That's the whole point!  And I suspect that the dems know this.  And I'm certain that the average MA voter really doesn't want to loose Kerry as a Senator.  So it all makes sense.  Vast right wing conspiracy??!  Hillary's been using that phrase so long that it ceases to make sense, except that in this case, there really is one!  The right wing of the DNC (i.e., the Clintonian Democrats, New Democrats, whatever they're calling themselves now) conspired to offer up someone who is a fine legislator, but who didn't have a snowball's chance in hell to defeat a popular wartime incumbent.  This neatly and openly clears the way for 2008.

quod erat demonstrandum.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:54:56 PM »

Fair enough.  ah, it's hasty posting.  like hasty pudding but less tasty.

Meals taken in haste, five hours of sleep, and all communism all the time.  I'm loving fatherhood.  did I mention that?

well, anyway, you are correct.  Kerry did very well.  I will say, as someone who has voted for Kerry as US Senator in the past, that I, for one, am glad that he has retained that seat.  I don't know whether the average MA voter is wise enough to feel the same way, I do what I can, but am only a mortal, not a god.  at least I have no worshippers as yet. 

Now, be gone.  I tire of this mode of entertainment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies