The GM Independence Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:31:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The GM Independence Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GM Independence Amendment (Passed)  (Read 4465 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: October 06, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

What I'm thinking is this, falls most inline with what Senator Cynic is proposing.

1. The President can petition the Senate to remove the GM by 2/3 vote.
1a. An unannounced absence of 7 days will trigger an automatic censure vote.
1b. A GM who is censured by the Senate twice in the same Presidential term, will be subject to a removal vote.
1c. An unannounced absence of 14 days will trigger an automatic removal vote.
2. Any office-holder who ignores or misrepresents the GM's intentions, by act or omission, should go through impeachment/or censure proceedings.

Frankly... Sections 1a-c should be applied to all Cabinet officials.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

Polnut, I like everything about your suggestion except for §2.

I find it disturbing that anyone would support penalizing an elected official over something as vague and subjective as "ignoring the GM." This skews too close to criminalizing independent research and unpopular opinions or interpretations of events. We already have a way of holding officeholders accountable for their bad policy decisions... elections.

In any case, this is an issue that deserves to be treated separately from this amendment, which was originally concerned with protecting the GM from executive overreach and sparing the President from angst over the political consequences of retaining any particular GM.

It's only in broad terms... this isn't an amendment, just outlining ideas.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »

I agree with Griff here. There should be something in there that codifies the ability of a new president to retain (without confirmation) the existing GM, or to select a new one, going through the normal procedures.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

I agree with Griff here. There should be something in there that codifies the ability of a new president to retain (without confirmation) the existing GM, or to select a new one, going through the normal procedures.

This would undermine the entire point of the proposal.

I agree. The underlying point here should be that the Game Moderator is not a member of the executive branch and should not be subject to its unchecked control. I'm not sure why his or her continued service should be contingent on the outcome of the latest presidential election.

I don't see an appetite for this element. I'm prepared to leave as is.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:06:18 AM »

The only people to have shown positive views towards this are myself and Senator Cynic. Plus I don't believe that it would have the support to pass. I have no interest in wasting the Senate's time in things that won't pass.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies