White mother sues sperm bank for reparations for her black child (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:43:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  White mother sues sperm bank for reparations for her black child (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White mother sues sperm bank for reparations for her black child  (Read 6556 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« on: October 04, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

She's correct.

I would also be severely pissed if I got a black child, when my partner and I in fact wanted a white one.

That's like going to the tech store to buy a MacBook and the salesperson brings a Sony VAIO.

Of course there are some people out who actually badly wanted to buy the MacBook and taking the Sony VAIO with them "because they don't mind".

Nonetheless, because the small black child is a human being and not a PC, I wouldn't treat it any other than if the sperm bank worked correctly and a white kid was born.

Still, the sperm bank made an error and needs to pay for it.

You seriously are comparing this to buying computers? That's silly. And if somebody wants a child, it really shouldn't matter what color the child is, a child is a child.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »

Guys I'm sure this mother loves her daughter, but the sperm bank [Inks]ed up pretty bad here. Sperm isn't exactly a fungible commodity; the entire point of a sperm bank is that the future mother picks the specific stuff she wants from a catalog with all the donor's traits and characteristics. That they accidentally gave her sperm from a different donor defeats the whole point, and indicates there's something seriously wrong with their operating procedures. The race mistake is a big deal IMO because the child is obviously gonna be curious about that, and that will probably force her parents to tell her where she came from before she's old enough to handle it
^^^

I saw this on the Today Show as I was leaving the other day, and the woman clearly loves her daughter. This is not a race issue at all. It is an issue about the sperm bank really, really f[inks]ing things up.

Furthermore, would her detractors defend a woman having an abortion who became pregnant with a black child after voluntarily having intercourse and deciding she didn’t want a mixed race child? If that is justified, how is her right to chose which sperm she receives not justified?

She's correct.

I would also be severely pissed if I got a black child, when my partner and I in fact wanted a white one.

That's like going to the tech store to buy a MacBook and the salesperson brings a Sony VAIO.

Of course there are some people out who actually badly wanted to buy the MacBook and taking the Sony VAIO with them "because they don't mind".

Nonetheless, because the small black child is a human being and not a PC, I wouldn't treat it any other than if the sperm bank worked correctly and a white kid was born.

You seriously are comparing this to buying computers? That's silly. And if somebody wants a child, it really shouldn't matter what color the child is, a child is a child.
If somebody wants a child and has to go through a sperm bank to do so, they have the right to pick which sperm they want. A sperm bank doesn't have the right to randomly dump sperm on a patient anymore than a surgeon has a right to randomly cut off a patient’s leg during open heart surgery.

Calm down. I didn't say that the sperm bank didn't make a mistake, I was talking about how the mother is placing such emphasis on the color of the child, which isn't exactly going to be a good thing for the child in the long run. You know good and well I never posted that they didn't have the right to pick which sperm they wanted.

If they don't like the child, they should put her up for adoption.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »

She's correct.

No it's not.

And that's not the point here. The point is that the sperm bank made the silly mistake. Of course, the girl should be raised no different than the planned white girl - but the mistake makes it very complicated.

And besides, you seem to be one of these people who would take the Sony VAIO home, instead of the product you actually wanted all the time ...

I'm pretty sure a child is a human regardless of race, that was my point. The sperm bank made a mistake, that much is clear, but even with a settlement, these parents have to accept the child and move forward. Children don't come from stores, you can't exchange them or get a refund.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies