Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:46:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your overall opinion of Christianity?
Good

Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Christianity  (Read 11719 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« on: October 15, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

I have a very negative view of Christianity (like most religions that have stricter doctrines).

Christianity is pretty much the loosest religion in terms of requirements you're ever going to find, which goes a long way to explaining its success.  I don't see how you could possibly interpret it as a strict faith.
Compared to other religions (especially Islam), yeah it's looser. But I feel that most Abrahamic religions suck for a variety of reasons, but here I mean that they tend to not take into account an individual's experiences in life, they dictate moral rights and wrongs, and that unlike Hinduism, Baha'i faith, and Buddhism, there is less room to move around when considering that there may be more than one way to know God (e.g. "you either believe this or you go to hell forever") and concerning moral gray areas. 

On a related note, I think it's a sad testament to the Christian-centric nature of this forum that Christianity has a ~70% FF rating and Buddhism has a ~55% negative rating.

Have you seen the Noble Eightfold Path? 
Are you asking me do I know what it is or have I seen a certain documentary? The answer to the first is "I get the point", the 2nd would be "no".
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Okay, I worded my second post awkwardly. Yes, I understand that Buddhism demands a very Spartan life in terms of material possessions and fulfilling desires, but like you said, not many people actually follow it to the extremes. I'm not familiar with each Buddhist sect and school of thought, but rather just get the gist of Buddhism pertaining to India (despite it being pretty much gone).

When I typed that I had the hot-button social/moral issues in mind that Abrahamic texts obsess about (and how they micromanage your daily existence, as opposed to general rules in Buddhism), and how Buddhism specifically promotes mindfulness and "don't be a dick to other people because their experiences and beliefs are different from yours" that eastern religions emphasize.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies