Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:49:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your overall opinion of Christianity?
Good

Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Christianity  (Read 11724 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
« edited: October 05, 2014, 05:04:19 PM by DemPGH »

IMO, its impact has been overwhelmingly negative, so I have to lean bad. Although, Islam is far worse.

I will say, though, that the interpretations of religion by adherents is usually more insidious than the religion itself, which is interesting and probably says more about the person than the religion.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 09:46:30 AM by DemPGH »

Negative, though Islam is far, far, far worse. I will never understand how seemingly secular and progressive people will go out of their way to coddle and defend Islam.

Definitely agree on the first point. As to the second point, it's simply that it's not "our religion," so secular humanists are kind of careful with it. We also don't have the baggage associated with Islam, while Christianity has more than enough of its own. I agree that there needs to be more criticism of Islam, though, and that that criticism can be respectful.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »

Absolutely, and that's its beauty and why it's good. Any ideology or belief system that claims utility is...perhaps not inherently worthy of hostility, but certainly arouses my skepticism. Scientific and "practical" philosophies top the list. Christianity is so metaphysical and interested in a second, spiritual life that its few suggestions as to how to live a just life end up evaporating into "believe in Christ" and doesn't have much if any actual requirements for behavior beyond "splash some water on your face."

How you can make that argument with a straight face as you make it has perplexed me for a while. Essentially, it's useless, so it's useful. Huh

Then it dawned on me that something that's "useless" is actually useful in a different way, and if you made the argument that way it would make a lot more sense. I find a good movie with good performances edifying for whatever reason(s). I love to watch an epic movie that has a lot of punch, like a good Scorsese movie. Humans love good stories, and they always have - I suspect it's a higher brain function. But to say that myths are more relevant than scientific evidence on general grounds is frankly absurd. The "metaphysical" is just more make-believe. Can it be edifying? Sure. But it's not astrophysics, and it could never compete with astrophysics.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

The "metaphysical" is just more make-believe. Can it be edifying? Sure. But it's not astrophysics, and it could never compete with astrophysics.

But metaphysics doesn't compete with astrophysics. "Metaphysics" does mean "after physics", after all.

You have to judge it on some standard, though. It's make-believe because nothing supports it. Which on its own is fine because it's emotionally satisfying. I can and will accept myth on those grounds.

But otherwise it's the Laws of Planetary Motion of 1619 against the Earth-is-at-the-center-because-we're-special. And you better bet on the former. Smiley Myth is personal in a way that scientific evidence is not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies