Even the Independent admits: Irish are converting to Protestantism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:50:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Even the Independent admits: Irish are converting to Protestantism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Even the Independent admits: Irish are converting to Protestantism  (Read 2041 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: October 12, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »

I'm basically dying of ebola or something at the moment so I'll be quick but suffice to say the article is rubbish (you can tell without even reading it since it's written by one of our most prominent right-wing concern trolls). It's telling that she uses the example of Navan to back up her 'point' - "the population of Protestants in Navan has increased massively since the early 90s!"? Navan is one of the most (the most?) fastest growing towns in the country. "Some 10pc of Irish Anglicans studying to be ordained were former Roman Catholics." I have no idea how many Irish Anglicans are studying to be ordained by I can't imagine it's exactly a massive sample set.

BRTD also (as always) misses the point through insane literal-mindedness. That Americans have a far different (looser) relationship with religious identity is hardly a controversial point. Religions, like everything else in the US, operate on a free market basis - people shop around and conversion is an unremarkable phenomenon. The heinous Mary Kenny even refers to this by talking about the Catholic Church "losing market share" (!). The fact that there's been a  near-negligible (and that's what it is ) increase in adherents to CoI blah blah blah doesn't change the reality that the overwhelming majority of people don't think of religion in the same way some dude from Minnesota does. What's the percentage of people who tick "Catholic" on the census despite not being remotely religious?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies