Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:08:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 171383 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: December 02, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »
« edited: December 02, 2015, 12:47:25 AM by Simfan34 »

About half of the people I've met here seem to have gone to a private school, so make of that what you will. Some may be narrow-minded, sure, but they're usually not going to be that kind of narrow-minded-- unless we're talking about "private academies" in the South.

e: Also he's supposed to be Catholic? What's with the effusive praise of Billy Graham and general Protestantishness? And "G-d"? Isn't that strictly an Orthodox Jewish thing?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1226 on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2015, 12:54:15 AM by smilo »

e: Also he's supposed to be Catholic? What's with the effusive praise of Billy Graham and general Protestantishness? And "G-d"? Isn't that strictly an Orthodox Jewish thing?

Yeah, I didn't mean narrow minded in the southern sense, just in general.

And I'd imagine when you're a freshman in high school who wants to become obsessed with an ideology, you do everything to conform to it. The Evangelicals associated with religion are the loudest speakers and therefore must be the most religious and moral even though you don't realize they are effectively in contradiction with your religion. (OK, maybe you didn't have that problem). I'm not sure if we should chalk that up to atheism taking over on the left, Catholics becoming less ethnic, or being a teenage boy. Probably a mixture

In fairness, he is all about that Latin mass if that means anything at all.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1227 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:29 AM »

That doesn't add up! I'm all for the Tridentine Mass, and while I don't make a big deal about it, I can't see how that reconciles with everything else.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1228 on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »

To be fair, I didn't realize quite how much the views of evangelical preachers contradicts my religion until I got to grad school. I still consider them something of a wayward ally most of the time. It would be a wonderful alternative reality indeed if the differences between Evangelical Protestantism and Catholicism were the worst we faced in society.

On the private school thing I was never able to detect a substantial difference in the behavior of my friends who went there or public schools. However, I did have one friend tell in an argument once that I would be a lot different if I went to a public school rather than a Catholic school. Of course I did go to a public school and have never enrolled in a Catholic school in my life.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1229 on: December 02, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »

I went to a Catholic Private school that cost abut $6,000 an year, plus some added ridiculous fees would add up to $ 9,000 but the fact is, $27, 000, your parents must be some rich people. Do you guys have religious classes, I wonder what they teach there because I know my Catholic School, was vehemently anti-capitalist, talking about equality and rich business, in their pursuit of greed, and money have no regard for morality or the other human being. There was also, things about a loving god, helping the meek and unfortunate, protecting the environment and god's nature. This was coupled with anti-abortion, anti-pre marital sex, anti-drugs however the school was progressive on gay rights, for a religious school in the 90's anyway.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1230 on: December 02, 2015, 06:09:15 AM »

I went to a Catholic Private school that cost abut $6,000 an year, plus some added ridiculous fees would add up to $ 9,000 but the fact is, $27, 000, your parents must be some rich people. Do you guys have religious classes, I wonder what they teach there because I know my Catholic School, was vehemently anti-capitalist, talking about equality and rich business, in their pursuit of greed, and money have no regard for morality or the other human being. There was also, things about a loving god, helping the meek and unfortunate, protecting the environment and god's nature. This was coupled with anti-abortion, anti-pre marital sex, anti-drugs however the school was progressive on gay rights, for a religious school in the 90's anyway.
My Catholic elementary school was about 4,000 then when I graduated my new school is around 27,000. My elementary school was somewhat mixed definitely anti-abortion, mixed on marriage, definitely a lot of social justice. While staunchly pro-capitalist. We were taught and founded by a more progressive order the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. While my new school is much more liberal.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1231 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »

Wait, this is a Catholic school? I've never heard of a Catholic school that cost so much. That's absurd. The Catholic schools near where I live are far more reasonably priced.

However, I did have one friend tell in an argument once that I would be a lot different if I went to a public school rather than a Catholic school. Of course I did go to a public school and have never enrolled in a Catholic school in my life.

Heh. I've had more than a few people assume I went to a private school, and they're usually surprised when I tell them I didn't. I sometimes I think I'll always vaguely wish I did, but I'm not silly enough to actually believe my parents should have spent over half a million dollars just to assuage some trivial elitist hankering I might have otherwise had. But perhaps I should have applied for Regis High School here in NYC, which is probably the best Catholic high school in the country, if not the best overall -- and completely free.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1232 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2015, 12:01:47 PM by smilo »

Yeah, I should definitely clarify - I was improperly using Catholic and private synonymously. Obviously these elite competitive privates that we see are in a separate category.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1233 on: December 02, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »

Yeah, I should definitely clarify - I was improperly using Catholic and private synonymously. Obviously these elite competitive privates that we see are in a separate category.

I suppose I was using it imprecisely as well. There's a difference between, the local Catholic school, which is in many areas what people have in mind when they think of a "private school", and places like Regis, Delbarton, Marymount, Loyola, or Sacred Heart, which are on par with the other high-powered private schools in this area (and cost around $15-20,000 less, to say nothing of Regis!).

I've definitely known the sort of people you describe coming out of the former sort of school-- they're generally no better or worse than people who went to public school (not that I'm calling them stupid or anything, but those I know who did well would have probably done just as well in a public school).

Around here, these kind of Catholic schools cost around $10-15,000, and they're obviously going to cost less in other parts of the country. Now this is the confusing thing. This would mean that Classic Conservative is probably attending the kind of competitive top-tier Catholic school I mentioned before, and those provide a first-rate education-- which makes his willful ignorance and seeming inability to punctuate even more perplexing. (I'd understand if he just didn't take this place seriously enough to bother, but that's clearly not the case.)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1234 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2015, 05:35:41 PM by Simfan34 »

Maybe it's just because being a black Republican has made it a necessity for me, but I can't imagine how someone with an education in that kind of environment can simply not know the value of being exposed to viewpoints contrary to your own. ChairmanSanchez was right-- it makes you more a well-rounded person, it ensures that your assumptions and opinions will be able to withstand scrutiny. There's value in watching MSNBC if only to be able to laugh at its ridiculousness, since you will be reminded of just why Rachel Maddow, and not you, is the one being ridiculous; if you didn't, there's no way of knowing if she's actually talking sense.

I can understand how the inbuilt biases of the intellectual establishment can leave a liberal who went to "good schools" with no appreciation for this-- how else do you think we could have wound up a generation of activists demanding "safe spaces" everywhere?-- but I don't see how any conservative, in the face of this bias, can manage to think this way. I mean, what sort of educated person thinks that they can get all their news from The Blaze and be fully-informed?

Classic Conservative, I'm sure you'd think that someone who got all of their news from Salon or Mother Jones and only ever saw conservative viewpoints when they were being derided, would be a rather poorly-informed person. Why is the opposite any better? You must know that on The Blaze you will almost always only ever read caricatures of liberal viewpoints rather than the actual thing. Now, actual arguments made by liberals may also sound like caricatures, but how do I know this?-- because I actually expose myself to them! I read articles in the college newspaper, shared by people on Facebook, and the like, and because of that, because I know what they're really saying, rather than what some biased person says they're saying, I am able to say that I disagree with them. This is not so much a valuable thing as it is a necessary one.

One of my favorite conservative thinkers is Princeton's Robert George, who I've actually had the privilege to meet a couple of times. He manages to be widely respected as a senior academic at a top university while simultaneously being unapologetically right-wing. He is also in the habit of holding debates with Cornel West, who I'm sure you're heard of. Why do you think he sees value in this?

I will have to challenge what you post from now on, because it's clear you're not being challenged enough as is. I will note that you will probably benefit from watching PBS and listening to NPR. PBS Newshour is by far the best daily news show on television-- I watch it most of the time when I'm at home. News on PBS is certainly more unbiased than anything on cable news, and does a very good job at representing different viewpoints on contested issues, not to mention covering stories (especially international ones) that most other networks overlook. As someone whose parents' car radios are perpetually set to NPR, I can tell you that NPR has a considerably more pronounced slant, if not so much in how they tell the news than what news they choose to tell-- a lot of it is what you think liberals would want to hear about-- in particular, poor people and LGBTs are over-represented topics. But there's no real harm in that.

One last thing. Why, exactly, did you choose to stop watching FOX News?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1235 on: December 02, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »

What is this thread?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1236 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »

This is where we detail our lives and critique those of others. 'Less boring, more 'whorin.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1237 on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:29 PM »

This is where we detail our lives and critique those of others. 'Less boring, more 'whorin.
So, would you say that it's like a...Social Thread?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1238 on: December 02, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »

Maybe it's just because being a black Republican has made it a necessity for me, but I can't imagine how someone with an education in that kind of environment can simply not know the value of being exposed to viewpoints contrary to your own. ChairmanSanchez was right-- it makes you more a well-rounded person, it ensures that your assumptions and opinions will be able to withstand scrutiny. There's value in watching MSNBC if only to be able to laugh at its ridiculousness, since you will be reminded of just why Rachel Maddow, and not you, is the one being ridiculous; if you didn't, there's no way of knowing if she's actually talking sense.

I can understand how the inbuilt biases of the intellectual establishment can leave a liberal who went to "good schools" with no appreciation for this-- how else do you think we could have wound up a generation of activists demanding "safe spaces" everywhere?-- but I don't see how any conservative, in the face of this bias, can manage to think this way. I mean, what sort of educated person thinks that they can get all their news from The Blaze and be fully-informed?

Classic Conservative, I'm sure you'd think that someone who got all of their news from Salon or Mother Jones and only ever saw conservative viewpoints when they were being derided, would be a rather poorly-informed person. Why is the opposite any better? You must know that on The Blaze you will almost always only ever read caricatures of liberal viewpoints rather than the actual thing. Now, actual arguments made by liberals may also sound like caricatures, but how do I know this?-- because I actually expose myself to them! I read articles in the college newspaper, shared by people on Facebook, and the like, and because of that, because I know what they're really saying, rather than what some biased person says they're saying, I am able to say that I disagree with them. This is not so much a valuable thing as it is a necessary one.

One of my favorite conservative thinkers is Princeton's Robert George, who I've actually had the privilege to meet a couple of times. He manages to be widely respected as a senior academic at a top university while simultaneously being unapologetically right-wing. He is also in the habit of holding debates with Cornel West, who I'm sure you're heard of. Why do you think he sees value in this?

I will have to challenge what you post from now on, because it's clear you're not being challenged enough as is. I will note that you will probably benefit from watching PBS and listening to NPR. PBS Newshour is by far the best daily news show on television-- I watch it most of the time when I'm at home. News on PBS is certainly more unbiased than anything on cable news, and does a very good job at representing different viewpoints on contested issues, not to mention covering stories (especially international ones) that most other networks overlook. As someone whose parents' car radios are perpetually set to NPR, I can tell you that NPR has a considerably more pronounced slant, if not so much in how they tell the news than what news they choose to tell-- a lot of it is what you think liberals would want to hear about-- in particular, poor people and LGBTs are over-represented topics. But there's no real harm in that.

One last thing. Why, exactly, did you choose to stop watching FOX News?

What Huh
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1239 on: December 02, 2015, 05:34:26 PM »

I'm not sure why I quoted your post there. Sorry about that, although I'm pretty sure I was sure to spell out that I was directly addressing Classic Conservative.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1240 on: December 02, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »

I'm not sure why I quoted your post there. Sorry about that, although I'm pretty sure I was sure to spell out that I was directly addressing Classic Conservative.
'

Yea, I thought so, I was just confused.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1241 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »

'

Yea, I thought so, I was just confused.

TELL US WHY YOU STOPPED WATCHING FOX NEWS INTELL. TELL US WHY.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1242 on: December 02, 2015, 09:13:30 PM »

Eurggh, so I have shinksy situation. For next year I'm trying to pick a roommate, and two of my friends have offered to room with me. The problem is is that I would definitely like to room with one, but the other asked me first and seems to believe that I've agreed to it--even though I haven't. And I don't want to hurt his feelings. What should I do?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1243 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »

Welp, finals begin next week. Looks like I'm gonna hafta resume absence.

Thanksgiving was kind enough to let things up a moment and I should be back after Tuesday when the worst finals are done.

But if I screw anything up, I'm super senioring rather than graduating...that would suck.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1244 on: December 03, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2015, 12:14:24 AM by Green Line »

Eurggh, so I have shinksy situation. For next year I'm trying to pick a roommate, and two of my friends have offered to room with me. The problem is is that I would definitely like to room with one, but the other asked me first and seems to believe that I've agreed to it--even though I haven't. And I don't want to hurt his feelings. What should I do?

Can you do a triple?

If not, you just gotta be straight up in as nice a way as possible.  Just say that you think you'll be better friends if you don't live together.  I was in the same place a couple years ago and I pussied out.  Trust me, if you have reservations before you ever start living together its not going to be a good year for you.  You need to be happy in your own place
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1245 on: December 03, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »

Attended a TRUMP rally last night. It was truly a life changing experience for me and I'd encourage any anti-TRUMP believers to attend one. So much energy!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1246 on: December 03, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »

So, would you say that it's like a...Social Thread?
More like a social disease.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1247 on: December 03, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2015, 11:47:47 PM by DavidB. »

But the Blaze TV is my normal news source especially most of their good recent documentaries about ISIL and the Kurds that was fascinating and the one they aired tonight about Judiasm in the Netherlands and how it's hard to be a practice Jew there.
Huh
As a practicing Jew in the Netherlands, I'm curious.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1248 on: December 03, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »

I'm currently organizing an event at GW that will be kind of like a mock primary for the presidential election, and takes place shortly before the Iowa Caucus. I have a bunch of ideas I'm working on, but I was wondering if anyone here could suggest something I could do to make it better. I was thinking the students (only GW students can vote) select the candidate they support, and offer additional information like Party ID, home state, political idealogy, etc and then use that to make some cool maps and charts. Thoughts?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1249 on: December 04, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »

My girlfriend is ill.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies