Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170557 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »

My monthly salary in Colombia will apparently be 1,378,018...

Colombian pesos. Tongue I'm gonna need to wrap my head around big numbers.
Wait, you will win 766117 euros a month?

Ah, gagner... Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »

Ah, gagner... Tongue

Sorry,
you will earn Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »

Ah, gagner... Tongue

Sorry,
you will earn Tongue

Cheesy
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #303 on: December 24, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »

It kind of sucked having to work today on Christmas Eve (luckily, I (and everyone else) got off at 4, but still) though we're having a good night as a family.

My family and I went out for pizza and are watching a few movies now. We just finished National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation a little bit ago which is a really funny movie (I love the Aunt Bethany "Pledge of Allegiance" scene Tongue), and we're undecided on what to watch next. Polar Express, maybe?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »

It kind of sucked having to work today on Christmas Eve (luckily, I (and everyone else) got off at 4, but still) though we're having a good night as a family.

My family and I went out for pizza and are watching a few movies now. We just finished National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation a little bit ago which is a really funny movie (I love the Aunt Bethany "Pledge of Allegiance" scene Tongue), and we're undecided on what to watch next. Polar Express, maybe?

Do your patriotic duty and buy The Interview. My family already has.

Also, there are an increasing number of faranges at our Christmas party. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #305 on: December 24, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »

Ah, gagner... Tongue

Sorry,
you will earn Tongue
The English equivalent to gagner is garner.  One can garner wages, but that's more the act of collecting your pay check, which is the sum of money you earned by working.  You can also win a wage increase...but you do not win the wage itself.

I hope that's now absolutely clear Tongue
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #306 on: December 24, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Lucky. I got off at 7:30. Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #307 on: December 25, 2014, 12:17:03 AM »

I love the Uncle with the cigar in National Lanpoons.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:46 AM »
« Edited: December 25, 2014, 12:32:03 AM by Governor Varavour »

Movie was meh, and very vulgar, but it is still your patriotic duty to buy it nevertheless. As this editorial said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your patriotic duty: Laugh in the face of terror and go see ‘The Interview’
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »

So, I've been trying to lose weight since the summer. On August 2nd, after a family reunion that saw me eat way too much, I weighed 214 lbs. It was so gross and embarrassing.

I bring this up because the other morning I weighed 182 lbs. I know it's kinda cheap to compare a morning weight against a bloated end-of-day weight, but it made me feel so good about myself. I've been cutting out crappy food and trying to limit how much I eat. Anyway, I just weighed myself now after two days of gorging on turkey, Chinese food, and desserts, and it came up as 188. It's a pretty crappy feeling. I know I'll weigh less when it's all properly out of my system, but it's amazing how much of a number it can do on a person's self-esteem. Gah. I just want to look good, but right now I kinda hate myself. Sad
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »

I've apparently made a habit out of confusing my Carls. As in half the time I wind up texting 20RP12 weird sh*t that I mean for my other friend Carl.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »

I had a nightmare that I forgot to study for one of my exams. My god.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »

I've apparently made a habit out of confusing my Carls. As in half the time I wind up texting 20RP12 weird sh*t that I mean for my other friend Carl.

And I wake up, read the texts and go "wtf man" and then fall back asleep
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »

This happened to me last week about a class I took the previous semester. Horrifying.

Last night was just the usual, oh no, class started 10 minutes ago!! I don't know what to do! Just some mysterious ethics class after finance that I didn't even take last semester.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »

Don't worry friend, you're clever so you will succeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »

Observation: if someone likes me, or if I am admitted into something, or otherwise thinks highly of something I've done, I question their judgement and my opinion of them usually dims considerably. Sort of like Groucho Marx when he mentioned that he wouldn't join any club that would let him in.

"I did well? He must be a lax grader."

"I was accepted? They must let everyone in."

"Oh, she doesn't dislike me? Well then, she is too blasé."

Sounds like the recipe for eternal misery.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »

Simfan is letting his low self esteem ruin him.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:38 PM »

Observation: if someone likes me, or if I am admitted into something, or otherwise thinks highly of something I've done, I question their judgement and my opinion of them usually dims considerably. Sort of like Groucho Marx when he mentioned that he wouldn't join any club that would let him in.

Also, I managed to give myself a haircut the other day.

I have the same problem. I'm trying to force myself out of it (or force it out of me), and you should too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »

I have the same problem as Simfan does, and I think most of us do. I've noticed that my issues usually comes at the same time as another posters for some reason, like some kind of Atlas cycle exists. This round hasn't been so bad as the last one in November.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »

Last December, for my "resolution," I set a six-and-a-half year goal for myself.  I vowed to acquire an "expert" chess rating (nominally 2000 in ELO and USCF, though USCF ratings are inflated compared to ELO) by the time I turned fifty.  I've only recently taken up the game competitively again after a 25-year hiatus.  On the two chess websites--Gameknot and Chessworld, where I compete, which use ELO ratings, I've already gotten there.  On Gameknot I just reached 2001, and on Chessworld I'm 2102.  But I still have a long way to go.  A real expert is 2000 in over-the-board tournament play, not in online play.  Online chess tends to yield wildly high ratings for a number of reasons.  I played in two live tournaments this year, did reasonably well in the first and horribly in the second---giving me a rating that is still too poor for me to own up to.  But I'm off to at least a hopeful start so far, so maybe I can get there with five and a half years to go.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »

Also, I managed to give myself a haircut the other day.

I have the same problem. I'm trying to force myself out of it (or force it out of me), and you should too.

But I don't find it believable. I'm not that great, one might say a "loser" or a "dweeb", if you would. At the same time, why are so many people so unreliable and untrustworthy?

I sound terribly dramatic. I apologise.

Don't apologize. For me, my low self-esteem is mostly related to how I look and, in some cases, my poor work ethic. It sometimes makes it hard for me to have a boyfriend that I consider cute and hardworking. I need his reassurances that I'm still okay far more often than I should, and I thank my lucky stars that he doesn't seem to mind my occasional lack of confidence.

On another note, I'm applying for graduate programs in education, but I'm finding it extremely difficult and stressful to secure letters of recommendation. Taking this route was never my plan, so I didn't take time to build good relationships with my profs in undergrad. I have classes that I did really well in, but I feel weird contacting the instructors out of the blue. Ideally I would've been meeting with these people over the last couple months to build some sort of rapport, but this decision is recent and I didn't think to do it. What's more, one of the few profs who does know me has not even replied to my inquiry about a letter. It's a crappy feeling. Couple that with the fact that my marks were not fantastic (I always did well on papers but took the hit on participation marks and attendance), and I'm just not feeling good about myself.

And another note, I'm getting more and more nervous for May when me and Tommy graduate and have to confront "the future" head on. Bleh.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #321 on: January 01, 2015, 02:22:09 AM »

Whelp, 2015 is off to a great start.

Was going to meet some friends at a bar in town. Spent 30 minutes looking for parking, 30 minutes waiting in line to get in, 30 minutes wedged in a gaggle of really awful people waiting at the bar for a drink, 30 minutes hopelessly texting/calling trying to figure out where the hell everyone else was only to find out that half of them weren't even there anymore, gave up and left. Those ers.

Why must Indy's social life always suck?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #322 on: January 01, 2015, 03:45:05 AM »

What happened my last post was here 3 times I thought I accidently triple posted it so I went to delete two of them but when I deleted one of them all of them disappeared.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #323 on: January 01, 2015, 04:17:01 AM »

I also have self-esteem issues, mainly due to my difficulty in getting ahead in life. The people I work with lavish me with praise for my performance (which I don't work very hard at, but I still produce what they need and very quickly to boot), but it doesn't help me get a permanent position. I get along well and make fast friends with everyone I meet, but it doesn't help me get a date. It's hard not to think that I am at fault for this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #324 on: January 01, 2015, 06:42:45 AM »

Whelp, 2015 is off to a great start.

Was going to meet some friends at a bar in town. Spent 30 minutes looking for parking, 30 minutes waiting in line to get in, 30 minutes wedged in a gaggle of really awful people waiting at the bar for a drink, 30 minutes hopelessly texting/calling trying to figure out where the hell everyone else was only to find out that half of them weren't even there anymore, gave up and left. Those ers.

Why must Indy's social life always suck?

I was going to stay in and post on Atlas all night (#YOLO), but I decided to get off my lazy ass and go to my friend's party for a few hours. It ended up with me hooking up with a guy who was extremely intoxicated. I'll spare you all the details, but it did not end well.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies