Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170496 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: August 18, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »

So, I just moved to Vancouver for school. The avatar change is jarring, but it is what it is. I'm already loving the city.
I here that it's nice.  My Aunt says the climate can be hard though.  Also good luck to you.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #926 on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »

I just came back from a long weekend trip to Cali (not California), which was quite nice - it's a rather fun city once you get to know it. It is, however, a far more dangerous city than Medellín or Bogotá, with far more sketchy types hanging around - and, as it turns out, my hotel was located smack middle in one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods of downtown Cali - the taxi driver on the first day locked the doors as soon as we drove into the neighbourhoods (during the day!) and another taxi driver drove at high speed through the area to get to the hotel (at night). On Sunday morning, I took my chances and opted to walk from my hotel to where I wanted to go, against the advice of the taxi driver the previous day; fortunately, it was fine.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #927 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »

Ugh, I bought Microsoft Office and the keycode won't work. And of course, the tech support doesn't help at all.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #928 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:07 PM »

Ugh. So I woke up at 5:00 AM, drove myself to Tallahassee and arrived at three, only to find my apartment littered with drug paraphenalia and a used condom on the floor. I kid you not. I found a new, nicer apartment at the last minute, but my dad is going to have to break the lease with the previous location, which could be ugly. None the less, the presence of pills and a large amount of weed, plus the fact that the apartment literally had holes in the wall, should support his case.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #929 on: August 21, 2015, 01:11:57 AM »

Oh gosh, I'm sorry it didn't go smoothly. Hopefully you guys aren't given too much trouble.

As for me... I have a gorgeous view of downtown Vancouver in my lovely 300 square foot studio. I've been sleeping in a nest of blankets on the ground. Hopefully my mattress arrives soon. But I have wonderful plans for the place. I really love this unit though. Great location. Vancouver is amazing so far.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #930 on: August 21, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »

Oh gosh, I'm sorry it didn't go smoothly. Hopefully you guys aren't given too much trouble.

As for me... I have a gorgeous view of downtown Vancouver in my lovely 300 square foot studio. I've been sleeping in a nest of blankets on the ground. Hopefully my mattress arrives soon. But I have wonderful plans for the place. I really love this unit though. Great location. Vancouver is amazing so far.
They allowed my dad to break the lease, no strings attached! I am in a much nicer location just across the street from FSU! Glad your move was successful as well!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #931 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »

I had to drop my first class of the semester because today I got an email making vague but ominous allusions to hundreds of pages' worth of reading that I'm expected to already have done that nobody told me about. I decided that playing catch-up was impossible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #932 on: August 22, 2015, 07:28:05 AM »

I had to drop my first class of the semester because today I got an email making vague but ominous allusions to hundreds of pages' worth of reading that I'm expected to already have done that nobody told me about. I decided that playing catch-up was impossible.

Couldn't you have just explained your situation to the Professor? Or are teachers at your university unusually intransigent/uncaring?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #933 on: August 22, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »

I found out just last week that my text book went out of print this year and was replaced by a new edition. The bookstore can't automatically replace my request, and I was out of town for the road trip. Now I have to rearrange the course to avoid using the text during the first couple of weeks until it comes in. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #934 on: August 22, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2015, 11:55:14 AM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Couldn't you have just explained your situation to the Professor? Or are teachers at your university unusually intransigent/uncaring?

I could have--I've heard he's a great guy--but I decided against it because the class:

1. Was seven hours a day for seven days, which I chickened out of committing to, and:
2. Also involved a field trip to  ing Andover. Andover is in the Merrimack Valley, up near the New Hampshire border, and I have a long commute already--Porter Square to Boston University is about an hour each way. It just wasn't worth it.

Besides, the class I added to replace this one, Buddhism in America, is a lot more in my wheelhouse anyway.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #935 on: August 22, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »

I could have--I've heard he's a great guy--but I decided against it because the class:

1. Was seven hours a day for seven days, which I chickened out of committing to, and:
2. Also involved a field trip to  ing Andover. Andover is in the Merrimack Valley, up near the New Hampshire border, and I have a long commute already--Porter Square to Boston University is about an hour each way. It just wasn't worth it.

Besides, the class I added to replace this one, Buddhism in America, is a lot more in my wheelhouse anyway.

I'm surprised that it's an hour from Porter Square to BU. Years ago I covered that regularly by bike in about 20 minutes or less. Is this not at the main campus?

BTW my daughter lives near Powder House Square.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #936 on: August 22, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »

7 hours a day all week? Shocked I had no idea a class like that could even exist. That's just insane.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #937 on: August 22, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »

I dreamt I had a conversation with someone I knew in one of the university libraries. Now I feel weird, because I vividly remember the mildly interesting things we were talking about and keep on wanting to message this person but have to remind myself that this conversation did not happen.

Perhaps this is my way of telling myself that I want to get back to school and am bored with summer.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #938 on: August 22, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »

7 hours a day all week? Shocked I had no idea a class like that could even exist. That's just insane.

Well, the entire class is just the one week.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #939 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:22 AM »

But then on other weeks you'd presumably have other classes?

Having 49 hours in a single week taken up by schoolwork is just wrong. Even in France that would never fly, and France usually has busier school weeks (35-40 hours in High School, around 20 in common universities, and up to 40-45 in specialized schools). In the US, College is 13 hours a week on average, right?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #940 on: August 23, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »

But then on other weeks you'd presumably have other classes?

Having 49 hours in a single week taken up by schoolwork is just wrong. Even in France that would never fly, and France usually has busier school weeks (35-40 hours in High School, around 20 in common universities, and up to 40-45 in specialized schools). In the US, College is 13 hours a week on average, right?

The typical course load in US universities is 12 to 20 hours in class, with the higher number for schedules with laboratories. There is also an expectation of 2 hours of work outside of class (reading, writing, problems) for every hour in class. Under the semester system a typical class (without labs) has 150 minutes scheduled per week, so the expectation is 450 minutes = 7.5 hours total work per week. Five such classes is a normal schedule, so at 37.5 hours a week the student should have the same amount of work as a typical employee.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #941 on: August 23, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »

School begins tomorrow Smiley / Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #942 on: August 23, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 01:25:18 PM by Srs Trump Supporter »

Ahhh, officially moved a few towns west to a slightly nicer apartment yesterday. Two more small pieces will arrive Tuesday and my bedroom will be complete! A little sad to be a bit farther from the city, but I'll certainly manage. Too excited for something that minor to be an issue.

Even more sadly though, the the tv/wifi wires in the wall are broken so my time without cable is approaching 4 months. It was good to go without it for awhile as it was a bad habit of mine to have that on all day, but this better be fixed before college football kicks off. I don't know what I'll do for the US Open...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #943 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »

Ahhh, officially moved a few towns west to a slightly nicer apartment yesterday. Two more small pieces will arrive Tuesday and my bedroom will be complete! A little sad to be a bit farther from the city, but I'll certainly manage. Too excited for something that minor to be an issue.

Even more sadly though, the the tv/wifi wires in the wall are broken so my time without cable is approaching 4 months. It was good to go without it for awhile as it was a bad habit of mine to have that on all day, but this better be fixed before college football kicks off. I don't know what I'll do for the US Open...

Is this for college, or like what?

Yes, senior year though it may be beyond that. We'll see where I manage to find employment. Even closer to my internship than where I spent the summer so that could be on the table.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #944 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »

IKEA adventures yesterday. Purple heart
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 08:22:02 PM by Srs Trump Supporter »

Same! It was my first time as there are few none near central NJ. I though I was simply in heaven.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »

Same. My Comp 2 class starts at 9:05 Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #947 on: August 23, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »

Yeah, not sure how I feel about going back this year. I'm only taking 4 classes

M/W - Professional Ethics, 9:30 - 10:50, work 12 - 5:30

T/R - Intro to Accounting 11 - 12:20, then Business Calculus 12:20 - 1:50, class in Chicago 5:30 - 7:30 (Tuesdays), work 2:30 - 6:30 (Thursdays); Chicago classes and work will flip at the end of September when I move up to the Intermediate level.

Friday/Saturday - work 10 - 5:30

Online class - Organizational Behavior

----------------------------------------------------------------
My Ethics professor sounds (and looks like) an enormous douche already from the syllabus, everyone else is up in the air. Now that the remainder of the few friends who stayed in the area transferred away, I actually have to make friends at PUN, ugh Sad

On the bright side, our new employees at work are pretty cool people and seem competent, but there's a sh_t ton of drama that's been plaguing the company since we opened the new store in May. It now appears I am caught up in it, as I spoke up about my new boss never really showing up, and now she thinks I'm "spying" on her for my old boss and the Big Boss. So that sucks.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #948 on: August 24, 2015, 02:41:26 AM »

I also start class later today, but while looking at the syllabus for my online Intro to Us Goverment, I found this assignment. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looking forward to this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #949 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »

I also start class later today, but while looking at the syllabus for my online Intro to Us Goverment, I found this assignment. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looking forward to this.

Personally, that's an assignment I'd love to write, but isn't it pretty intrusive? Not everyone wants to share their political views (event though I seem to gather that Americans do it more easily than Europeans).
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies