Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:54:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170225 times)
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »

I bought some new Orbit strawberry gum and it's ok.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »

Got back from homecoming. Spent it with my guy. We were late for all our engagements because we were busy doing other stuff. Oh well!
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »

I love my chem professor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om8VC4IfeRY
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:13 PM »

So I went to go see The Death of Klinghoffer.  There were actually fewer protests and outbursts than I was expecting.  Might add some more thoughts about it later if I'm not too lazy.

(Spoiler: I'll probably be too lazy.)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »

Having a nice time in Halifax with life and classes and such.  But I was trying to lay the groundwork for a permanent teaching job here this year so that I could at long last live permanently with my lady.  But it's fairly obvious already that budget shortfalls and low enrollment in Nova Scotia schools will never produce a lasting gig for me here.  And it's pretty much becoming impossible for my girlfriend to viably relocate in the foreseeable future either.  So, next year it will be back to our lonesome corners.  I'm trying to take it in stride; I'm grateful for the year of employment I was granted up here now, and it's been nice living like a grown-up, in an actual house with a loved one, on a sustained basis for at least this time--it's been so long since I have.  I might not be so serene about it when I go back to the States by myself next year, and to a turbulent department to boot.  But, who knows what the future will bring?  One has to be happy in the moment when one can, because you never know about life tomorrow.

It's been, I must say, a fairly bad year in the world in general.  Conflicts, deadly illnesses, accidents, disasters, ect.  And a number of very nice people on Atlas seem to be having a hard time.  Hope things get better for everyone soon.  Let's hang in there for a few months and hope crossing the threshold into 2015 brings happier days for all.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:27 AM »

I can tell it's summer because the mirror ball I hung at the kitchen window only makes a light display inside when the sun is at particular angles in the afternoon from this time of year until mid March. Today it began. It wasn't done on purpose this way, it was a happy accident a couple of years ago. We call it "fabulous hour." Added bonus: from torturing our two cats playing with laser pointers they've learned to randomly attack the spots of light that twirl on the walls and floor. Life is good.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »

I'm so sorry for all of y'all who having bad psychiatric episodes; I know it stinks, and we up here in onlineland are willing to support you. Smiley

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

Welcome back, Yelnoc!

___

I'm voting for Dilma on Sunday after telling my (conservative) family I'd vote for Aécio.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »

I was accepted into Millersville!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »

Wonderful! I am going to be sending in my first application next week.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

Wonderful! I am going to be sending in my first application next week.

At first, I thought you meant you were applying to Millersville too and I was gonna say...Atlas party?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble, one of us.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

At the Melbourne airport, nearly time to board our flight to Adelaide to see the wrinkly old Rolling Stones.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »

I'm really sad. My school placement is going well, but living with my parents away from everyone is so awful. My guyfriend got to stay in our university town and today he told me he had one of the best days ever. I'm happy for him, but... I feel weird not being a part of it. Sad It's hard... I miss him, but he's keeping busy enough to not miss me as much. I just want this next chunk of four weeks to be over.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2014, 03:36:58 AM »

I'm really sad. My school placement is going well, but living with my parents away from everyone is so awful. My guyfriend got to stay in our university town and today he told me he had one of the best days ever. I'm happy for him, but... I feel weird not being a part of it. Sad It's hard... I miss him, but he's keeping busy enough to not miss me as much. I just want this next chunk of four weeks to be over.

Guaranteed way to make it feel longer is to focus on how long it is.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »

Just got home from The Great Millersville Excursion Of 2014. Met up with Sawx. Shyt was tite.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Apparently one of my friends is going through the same troubles I went through a month ago.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »

I have never in my life seen such a feverish concentration of new construction- virtually entirely of the cookie-cutter three-story modernish townhouse variety- than I did while walking around Northern Liberties this weekend.

In other words, I was visiting Philly, as I am wont to do.  I promised this place several effortposts and I'll try to catch up this coming week.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »

Just got off a plane from DC an hour or so ago. Unfortunately, I'm having some kind of cold/allergies/possible Ebola and am horribly congested; my mucus-clogged Eustachian tubes still haven't adjusted their air pressure so my head feels like it's about to explode.

The flight itself was equally unpleasant. I was seated in a row with an off-duty United flight attendant and a woman who insisted on trying to put two carry-on items in the overhead bin despite only being allowed one. She proceeded to pitch a fit about how as an Economy Plus passenger, she would not consent to be treated like a peasant from regular economy class and asserted her right to as much overhead storage space as she damn well pleased. After being forced to stow one of the bags underneath her seat, she proceeded to take out her iPad and take pictures of the overhead bin, the flight attendant sitting next to her and the flight attendant in the aisle who told her to move the bag. After refusing requests to delete the photos, she later posted them on Facebook, leading a flight attendant to angrily come to our row and very sternly tell her that she risked violating federal law by refusing to delete the pictures after being instructed to do so. The off-duty stewardess asked her why she couldn't have just put the bag under her seat to begin with and the woman started shouting at her that it was none of her business and she had no right to ask her personal questions. As we were deplaning, the woman made a point to hold up everyone behind her by stopping to inform the captain and the cabin crew at the front of the plane that their behavior was completely unacceptable and she would never fly on United again.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »

Played a solid 3 hours of Zelda after the football game.  Went nicely.  Plan to hit the job search again for the majority of tomorrow.  Still going for government jobs, as my year of grad school completed can often be used in lieu of actual work experience for better pay grades and positions (up to 60,000).  Kind of like... "Yea, he might not have worked in this administrative position... but he's smart and probably could figure it our pretty quick." 

Government jobs can be a pretty sweet gig, so I'm throwing a ton out there in the Philadelphia area. The Navy pays me through their form of unemployment until I land one, so still no need to settle for BS.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »

Surviving huddled in my dorm on peanut butter and tuna fish. Ran out of tuna fish. I woke up late, so this is my third meal, and I don't feel like running down my student account or my real account to buy food. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be doing something to get ready for tomorrow (study, maybe), but the urge isn't there. "Family Guy" on Hulu, however, is.

...midterms?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »

I'm in such a bad mood, stressed about so many things. The only person who can make it better and give me a hug is three hours away.

And the person I'd normally spill my guts to (someone else) also happens to be someone who stresses me out even more. To the point that I don't even know if it's worth starting a conversation with this person for a long, long time.

I dunno. I was doing so well back at school after a horrible summer. To be back at home sucks. Borderline depressing.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »

Here's a fun fact.  NJ is paying me more per week in unemployment benefits than the Navy was in base pay.  I don't even know what to make of that, but I'm glad that I REALLY won't be in any rush and can take the right job offer, as they last for 26 weeks maximum.  I have an offer to be a hotel engineer from Hilton up in Bergen County.  I'll take a look at it, but I have no idea what a hotel engineer does. 

On the personal front, I have a sushi date with a hottie from Rutgers on Monday.  Hope it goes well, because she is kinda one of those girls I knew and I wanted to take a run at when I got back to Jersey.  Smart little grad student, really pretty.  There's others, but she's the filet mignon to the other's Outback ribeye.  Definitely willing to put time in.  Wish me luck. 
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2014, 06:27:37 AM »

Analysing the Iliad is comparable to the fate of Judas Iscariot in Dante's Inferno.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »

I'm in such a bad mood, stressed about so many things. The only person who can make it better and give me a hug is three hours away.

And the person I'd normally spill my guts to (someone else) also happens to be someone who stresses me out even more. To the point that I don't even know if it's worth starting a conversation with this person for a long, long time.

I dunno. I was doing so well back at school after a horrible summer. To be back at home sucks. Borderline depressing.

Well, I can't speak for everyone here Hagrid, but I'm sad you feel this way.  I'm not any of these close people you know and I certainly can't give you a hug (unless I feel like taking a day off from work and flying up to Canada for the day), but if you need someone to talk to I'm here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies