Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:27:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170297 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »

Yesterday I played a Flash game called Mu Complex- Episode One. It's a puzzle game with a backstory involving a rogue and probably murderous AI named Lya with a sweet female voice.

Today I received a customer satisfaction survey robocall concerning a product I recently got and the canned female voice identified itself as Mya.  Needless to say, I hung up quicker than usual.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »

Today I received a customer satisfaction survey robocall concerning a product I recently got and the canned female voice identified itself as Mya.  Needless to say, I hung up quicker than usual.

1) You gave your  phone number to a company regarding a product you bought?

And

2) You have a landline?

This makes Grumpy sad.  Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

And

2) You have a landline?

It was eyeglasses.  The optical shop needed the number to let me know when it came in.  Actually the call came in on my cell phone instead of my landline.  (Incidentally, I have a rotary dial phone hooked up to my landline, tho I seldom use that handset.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »

And

2) You have a landline?

It was eyeglasses.  The optical shop needed the number to let me know when it came in.  Actually the call came in on my cell phone instead of my landline.  (Incidentally, I have a rotary dial phone hooked up to my landline, tho I seldom use that handset.)

Ha ha, makes sense.  Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

I'm at a psychologists office and my mom is currently speaking with her. The woman's name is almost identical too Angela Merkel, and so is her personal appearance. I literally became extremely nervous for a split second because I thought she actually the (new) Iron Lady herself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »

There is an account on Youtube that is named "Bob Dylan-Topic" with several full albums up. It will be gone in a few hours. Get your fill of the Complete Basement Tapes while it lasts!!

Link to the song I am listening to right now; everything else is up!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »

Feeling pretty down today. Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

Same here. It's hitting me right now that my dream of finding a teaching gig abroad for a few months may not work out, and I'm left without a Plan B to occupy my 8 months from graduation until I go to grad school. I may be up sh**t's creek.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »

Don't feel like making a new thread for it but the last two episodes of South Park Grounded Vindaloop and Cock Magic have been hilarious dumb fun. Best episodes they've had in a few years.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 03:44:31 AM by IDS Judicial Overlord PiT »

I have a temporary staff position that's expiring soon, but I should be able to get another one based on talking to one of my co-workers. I have inside tracks on a couple of permanent staff positions, and am interviewing for both on Monday. For one, my work experience has uniquely qualified me for the position and I have already passed one in-person interview. The other, I am already familiar with several people on the search committee and I know that they have high opinions of my work.

My attitude towards applying and interviewing is a rather existential state of not expecting any outcome and simply trying my hardest for the sake of trying my hardest. If I get the job, I can be overjoyed because I didn't expect to get it, and I will not be saddened if I am rejected for the same reason. However, I have no expectation of failure to hold me back in the interview process either. With that said, I am cautiously optimistic. As is typical for me, I have backup plans in place, in case things don't pan out.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2014, 06:51:27 AM »

I'm currently starting the GOMAD diet, combined with some serious squats. It's going to be fun Tongue
swl
France

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 08:52:14 AM by swl »

I've occasionally mulled over going back for a PhD but I feel like at my age (26) I'd just be ruining my life and end up being a bitter 30-something drawing price floors for hungover undergrads at some third-tier state school in the hinterlands.
Sorry I am bored and lurking old threads, but PhD in what? I am also 26 and considering it, there is a risk but on the other hand it it works well there is the prospect of spending the rest of my life having fun at work.

Also conditions for a PhD in the Netherlands are really good. PhD candidates are not students but employees of their university, meaning they save up for pension, qualify for unemployment benefits, health insurance etc. Salaries are also good, around 1500€ net per month, or more. And foreign PhD candidates get a 30% tax rebate because they are considered highly-skilled migrants.
The gap with neighboring countries such as Germany is crazy. It's not uncommon to have people in their 30s starting a PhD here, because there is no real financial sacrifice.

I think only northern European countries (Denmark etc) and Switzerland can offer similar conditions.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »

I've decided I have to emotionally detach myself from a close friend my feelings towards whom have become somewhat unhealthy. I hope that doing so doesn't completely destroy our acquaintanceship but if it has to then I guess it has to. I'm in a lot of pain right now.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »

Just bought Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

GAME ONNNNNNNNN!!!!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2014, 02:00:24 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

I've been having very vivid dreams due to the medication I am on, and one of them involved me and IceSpear meeting in person and I tried to trap him on a debate about Hillary and ended up being crushed. It was quite funny.

I don't even know what IceSpear looks like, which is the weird part.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »

I've been having very vivid dreams due to the medication I am on, and one of them involved me and IceSpear meeting in person and I tried to trap him on a debate about Hillary and ended up being crushed. It was quite funny.

I don't even know what IceSpear looks like, which is the weird part.

I guess you didn't see the picture then.

That's pretty funny though. Do you remember the content of the debate?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »

The ground here in Sioux Falls hardly has any snow left.  Very different from a few days ago, though we didn't come remotely close to Buffalo-level snow.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »

Whenever I dream about you folks, I picture y'all as personified versions of your avatars (unless it's Bushie or whatever where I know what he looks like). Like this basically:

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »

I just dream of youngish white men with glasses (again, except those whose faces I know - Snowstalker, Bushie, Afleitch, Adam Fitz).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »

Whenever I dream about you folks, I picture y'all as personified versions of your avatars (unless it's Bushie or whatever where I know what he looks like). Like this basically:

How do you differentiate between people with the same avatar?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »

Luckily my brain has never run into that problem, or if it has, I don't remember its solution.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »

Something like that
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »

I'm a much boring dreamer. When I dream of the Atlas, I just picture the forum taking up my entire line of sight (no computer, it's just a reality) and reading messages as a dream.

I didn't have a pretty cool lucid dream a few weeks ago. I realized I was dreaming because I noticed I was driving up the Pacific Coast Highway "late to work" but knew that made no sense because I don't live in SoCal. So, I got out onto the beach and made a "machine" to take me to the next dream level which ended up being a Stonehenge-like stack of mirrors all facing each other and when I stood in the middle everything turned purple and suddenly I was viewing my dream of being in California as a SimCity4-like 3D model of the dreamscape. The really interesting part was a ticking clock that was 37 seconds and counting which made me rush and when it hit 0 my alarm went off at 630 am. This makes me think my subconscious has an internal clock that knows when it's going to be 630 am.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »

BTW, my argument with IceSpear was in my grandma's apartment and she was in the kitchen not saying anything (which was odd, because she is the person who introduced me to politics and loves it almost more than I do).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »

BTW, my argument with IceSpear was in my grandma's apartment and she was in the kitchen not saying anything (which was odd, because she is the person who introduced me to politics and loves it almost more than I do).

Did we discuss the criminal? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies