Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:57:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170523 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:48 AM »

So while we're on the topic of our colleges, our LAMBDA GSA group on campus has a special guest coming to our meeting tomorrow, and an influential and prominent one at that.

Alana Jachum, who formerly worked for the Human Rights Campaign and now is a regional coordinator for Northeast Ohio for Equality Ohio, is coming to speak to us about legal stuff and getting involved even more in the process.

For the record, EqualityOhio is the main group collecting signatures to get same-sex marriage on Ohio's 2016 ballot and are trying to get our gay-fearing legislature to force a vote on the Equal Housing and Employment Act.

She also helped co-found the LGBT group here on campus today FWIW! Honestly, I have no idea how many signatures the group as a whole has collected so far for the SSM initiative, so I'll be asking her about that. Because if Justice Kennedy does rule in favor of bigotry, then the next best option is what EqualityOhio is proposing, and 400K sigs are needed which requires a lot of time and effort.

In regards to the boyfriend search, progress! The friend I was talking about before who's also gay is still single, and me and him are becoming more comfortable with each other. I think it might happen this semester! Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2015, 02:24:55 AM »

I ended up joining a union without knowing it. In my current university position I received a promotion, but HR neglected to update my appointment. When I wrote them and they fianlly got around to it, I was also moved into a different position that just so happened to be union. The first I learned of this was receiving a Teamster newsletter in the mail.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:35 AM »

Candidate for Student Government Association (SGA) President spoke at our chapter meeting last nigh. He's the only non-Greek running, but he made a pretty good case to me prior to the meeting. Needless to say, I'm glad to see that SGA politics is full of conniving and backstabbing. I'm running as a Senator for the College of Liberal Arts & Education.

They do it by college at your university? They did it by residence area at mine.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #453 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 02:02:32 PM by SMilo »

Another mediocre interview. It wouldn't have been bad, but they both mentioned how important communication skills are for the job, and I am entirely inarticulate. When I speak, words come out in a random order.
I'm never gonna get a job. Sad

Time to find a credit card machine sales position.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #454 on: February 11, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 07:28:42 PM by IDS Judicial Overlord PiT »

Another mediocre interview. It wouldn't have been bad, but they both mentioned how important communication skills are for the job, and I am entirely inarticulate. When I speak, words come out in a random order.
I'm never gonna get a job. Sad

Time to find a credit card machine sales position.

I used to have a severe speech impediment. It's tough to deal with and hiring managers who barely even know you aren't going to be very understanding. I was personally lucky in that it was something that I learned to manage and overcome on my own, but I'm not going to say that the same applies for everyone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »

I bought my Powerball ticket Tongue.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2015, 12:06:52 AM »

So, this is a bit old (end of January), but it's something I really wanna share, because it's definitely a highlight of my ~4.5 years at school in Kingston.

For those of you who don't know, Kingston, Ontario is right at the east end of Lake Ontario where it starts to narrow into the St. Lawrence River. When we have especially cold winters like this one, the lake freezes over (this wouldn't happen in Toronto). Usually it's pretty windy and the temperature fluctuates over and under 0 for a while before the water ultimately freezes, but this year was special. I guess the temperature dropped fast enough on a calm day for us to get exceptionally clear and smooth ice. It has been great for people who want to skate or hike on the lake.

So for the first time, my friends and I decided to explore the surface of Lake Ontario. It was so cool. Although most of the ice was covered in snow, the wind created a number of pockets, almost like windows, of clear ice. You could see straight down to the bottom in many places (admittedly we didn't stray too far from the shore), and the air bubbles in the ice are stunning. Many people were out playing hockey, and one family even set up a fire on the ice, over which they were cooking fondue. We crashed their party and got to try shots of maple syrup whiskey (#noregrets).

I just feel so lucky to live in such a great place!

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2015, 12:10:51 AM »

Whoa, that's awesome! (But also terrifying!! 😳)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »

Bob Dylan is coming to Ft. Lauderdale a week after my birthday!!!!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »

Isn't that photo between the shore and Toronto Island? I don't know if that makes a difference though, lol. I never did physical geography. I do remember growing up by the Credit River in Mississauga, and the water would freeze there but the ice was always broken up at the mouth of the river on the lake.

It fascinates me, though. I'm glad we're back to having more old-fashioned winters.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »

Rochester isn't on that map I call bullsh**t. Also praying for a wind-chill day tomorrow so I don't have to take precalc honors and AP chemistry tests.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »

I have an interview Tues. with ARI, a fleet management company.  They were ranked 27th best company to work for by Fortune last year and a bunch of my friends from college have worked there, all of them said it was/continues to be a great experience.  It's a 9-5 job in South Jersey that pays pretty well... exactly what I wanted.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »

I really want to quit my job, but I haven't been able to find a new one. I also ate a s@#$load of Valentine's candy today and said I was going to go to the gym after work but didn't do so.

Perhaps as Jeff slowly throws off his weaknesses and failings, they are being cast on to me, like The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #463 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

I spent my Valentines morning watching The Birth Of A Nation on CSPAN 3. What a bizarre film.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #464 on: February 15, 2015, 12:55:35 AM »

I spent my Valentines morning watching The Birth Of A Nation on CSPAN 3. What a bizarre film.

You spent Valentine's Day with your ex?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #465 on: February 17, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »

I designed a new kind of voting method that I'm going to show to my university's math dept (for my math and politics class) and see if it has any legitimate usefulness. If it turns out to be useful, who knows, maybe I can get some small municipality somewhere to try it out.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #466 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »

I designed a new kind of voting method that I'm going to show to my university's math dept (for my math and politics class) and see if it has any legitimate usefulness. If it turns out to be useful, who knows, maybe I can get some small municipality somewhere to try it out.

You should give us a preview of it
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #467 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »

Rough day, to say the least.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:45 AM »

You should give us a preview of it

I haven't patented it yet Wink
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #469 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »

Scored a followup interview Thurs. based on my first interview today and a couple assessment tests I took with my application.  Looking forward to starting the next stage of my life so I'm quite excited.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #470 on: February 18, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »

My parents might be separating.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #471 on: February 18, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »

Ugh, that's sad. Sorry to hear that. Sad
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #472 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »

Campus will be closed down all day tomorrow, so no classes! And that also means our 3-page essay on the breaking Nonverbal Rules of Culture experiment we did for our Interpersonal-Comm class and College Algebra test are both postponed!

This is all because the low is -15 tomorrow in Northeast Ohio. Hooray for Ohio's crappy weather canceling classes! Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #473 on: February 18, 2015, 11:41:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #474 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:55 AM »

Wait is there a non-college algebra class at his college? Huh
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies