Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:11:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170622 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 20, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »

Today I was stumped by a very Scottish tongue twister - purple burglar alarm.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1051 on: September 20, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »

My aunt with cancer will probably begin receiving hospice care. 
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1052 on: September 20, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »

My aunt with cancer will probably begin receiving hospice care. 

Sad

I hope she does alright.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1053 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »

So this is what I saw walking home from work tonight:

The mountain in question is an active volcano, and the cloud trailing it are ash emissions from the volcano.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1054 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »

F**king air conditioning. It's f**king everywhere. In every. Damn. Building. I went to LA to finally get some warmth, and instead I end up freezing like an idiot. And now I thing I caught a cold. A f**king cold in LA in September!!!

And it wastes billions of dollars. And pollutes the environment. F**king disgusting.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1055 on: September 22, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »

F**king air conditioning. It's f**king everywhere. In every. Damn. Building. I went to LA to finally get some warmth, and instead I end up freezing like an idiot. And now I thing I caught a cold. A f**king cold in LA in September!!!

And it wastes billions of dollars. And pollutes the environment. F**king disgusting.

It's quite telling that everyone says they love hot and dry Southwestern weather, but can't live without cranking up the AC and draining the Colorado for their turfgrass lawns.

It's almost like, maybe just maybe, cold and wet is the way to go.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1056 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »

It's quite telling that everyone says they love hot and dry Southwestern weather, but can't live without cranking up the AC and draining the Colorado for their turfgrass lawns.

That's not the issue here. LA weather is perfectly livable without the AC. It's not that people need it - it's not even that it's a luxury comfort. I mean, some air conditioning would be fine for most people I guess, but here it's friggin' cold. It's the equivalent of buying a very expensive wine that tastes like crap when there are cheaper wines that taste better. It's doing it just 'coz we can.

Besides, it's a bit disingenuous to say "cold and wet is the way to go". Heating costs money and pollutes too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1057 on: September 23, 2015, 12:58:55 AM »

I now have a cat. A refugee cat. A white-light brown (orange) one.

Last weekend at 1 or 2am, there was a sudden screeching noise outside which woke me up. Apparently, a fight between the cat and another cat (or dog ?) was going on and lasted for about 15 minutes. This is not something unusual, because I hear it occasionally during the year (mostly when the male cats are horny and want to f**k the female cats and chase them around the area). So, I went to sleep again. The other day though, and there was a massive windstorm going on, the cat was sitting outside in a pile of leaves. The whole day, not moving. This was not normal I thought. The next morning the cat was still sitting there and I approached it. The cat was traumatized, shaking all over and apparently her paws were red with blood, so she was definitely in a fight. I made her a windproof shelter with a cushion inside and gave her milk and cat food. Now she's at good health again, eating a lot and purring around again. But (the male cat) won't leave again. Not that I mind the company, but it would be better if she'd go back to where she came from. Maybe someone is missing her. And she's made herself comfortable in my welfare shelter, when in fact she should be out catching mice on her own. What if more refugee cats are coming ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1058 on: September 23, 2015, 01:21:49 AM »

I sure hope Kal will integrate this into his story! Cheesy
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1059 on: September 23, 2015, 02:56:29 AM »

Air conditioning gave you the rhinovirus? Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1060 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »

Not sure what it was after all, but I had a runny nose and aching throat for a day. Thank God it didn't last.

AC is also great if you like to get headaches.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1061 on: September 23, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »

I now have a cat. A refugee cat. A white-light brown (orange) one.

Last weekend at 1 or 2am, there was a sudden screeching noise outside which woke me up. Apparently, a fight between the cat and another cat (or dog ?) was going on and lasted for about 15 minutes. This is not something unusual, because I hear it occasionally during the year (mostly when the male cats are horny and want to f**k the female cats and chase them around the area). So, I went to sleep again. The other day though, and there was a massive windstorm going on, the cat was sitting outside in a pile of leaves. The whole day, not moving. This was not normal I thought. The next morning the cat was still sitting there and I approached it. The cat was traumatized, shaking all over and apparently her paws were red with blood, so she was definitely in a fight. I made her a windproof shelter with a cushion inside and gave her milk and cat food. Now she's at good health again, eating a lot and purring around again. But (the male cat) won't leave again. Not that I mind the company, but it would be better if she'd go back to where she came from. Maybe someone is missing her. And she's made herself comfortable in my welfare shelter, when in fact she should be out catching mice on her own. What if more refugee cats are coming ?

awwwww.... post pics please!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1062 on: September 23, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »

I have to read eight chapters of Genesis, two of Exodus, one of Numbers, fifty pages of Understanding the Old Testament, Ambrose's sermon against Auxentius (notable for the charming use of 'worse than a Jew' as a term of opprobrium), and Jerome's letter to Eustochium, and I'm not really looking forward to any of it except Genesis.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1063 on: September 23, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »

Ah, the famed avalanche of assigned readings in US university classes... I'm dreading it too (classes start tomorrow).
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1064 on: September 23, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

I have to read eight chapters of Genesis, two of Exodus, one of Numbers, fifty pages of Understanding the Old Testament, Ambrose's sermon against Auxentius (notable for the charming use of 'worse than a Jew' as a term of opprobrium), and Jerome's letter to Eustochium, and I'm not really looking forward to any of it except Genesis.

Quit religion. Then you don't have to Smiley
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1065 on: September 23, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »

These kinds of classes are the kind that you take once you get out of Algebra and US History class Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1066 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »

That is literally the worst advice I've seen since R2D2 asked for help getting a girl to go out with him.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1067 on: September 23, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

That's not the issue here. LA weather is perfectly livable without the AC. It's not that people need it - it's not even that it's a luxury comfort. I mean, some air conditioning would be fine for most people I guess, but here it's friggin' cold. It's the equivalent of buying a very expensive wine that tastes like crap when there are cheaper wines that taste better. It's doing it just 'coz we can.

Besides, it's a bit disingenuous to say "cold and wet is the way to go". Heating costs money and pollutes too.
It's actually been really hot in LA lately.  Highs in the 90s with lows in the 70s.  While not as humid, as, say, New Orleans or Orlando... it has also not been dry by any means.

When you consider the southern location of LA, the strong sun heats buildings up so they are often hotter than the outside.  That would mean interiors of buildings getting at least into the low to mid 80s and staying there.  And those days when it gets to just shy of 100F...

Methinks you doth protest too much.  j

Or.... more likely... you're in a microclimate close to the ocean.  Something most people from LA are not part of.  So it's cooler there.  But your comment was about people in LA... so how am I to know?

THe forecast for the next week is for more of the same.  Highs ranging from 86*F (30C) to 93*F (37C) and lows around 70-75 or 21-23C.

Meanwhile, in Paris.. it is some 20*F cooler... so yeah. 

Also:  Your headaches might be caused by pollution rather than cool (read: 72*F) air.  It is LA.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1068 on: September 23, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »

F**king air conditioning. It's f**king everywhere. In every. Damn. Building. I went to LA Israel to finally get some warmth, and instead I end up freezing like an idiot. And now I thing I caught a cold. A f**king cold in LA in SeptemberIsrael in August!!!

This sounds quite familiar. Fixed it to cover my experience with Israel and the persistent habit of "over-airconditioning".
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1069 on: September 24, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »

That is literally the worst advice I've seen since R2D2 asked for help getting a girl to go out with him.

I remember that. Good times.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1070 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

I am writing another CPA exam tomorrow afternoon.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1071 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »

The Biblical readings, about half of the Understanding the Old Testament reading, and parts of Jerome are done. I've decided I don't give a  about Ambrose right now. I did the reading for Spiritual Autobiographies days ago. Now I need to focus on submitting my first paper for Buddhism in America and rewriting my first paper for Intro to Christian Traditions. Then the first quiz for Intro to Hebrew Bible.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1072 on: September 24, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

My courses this quarter are intro to computer science, linear algebra/multivariable calc, econ, and a P.E. jogging class.  The classes have gone pretty well so far.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1073 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »

Ah, the famed avalanche of assigned readings in US university classes... I'm dreading it too (classes start tomorrow).

Not so much for STEM majors.  My CS/math reading assignments take less than 20 minutes, though the psets and projects take quite a bit longer.  Econ takes a little more time though.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1074 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »

Not so much for STEM majors.  My CS/math reading assignments take less than 20 minutes, though the psets and projects take quite a bit longer.  Econ takes a little more time though.

STEM majors get long problem sets instead. Reading is an insignificant part of the workload in most courses.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies