Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:39:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170215 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »

For the record, the class I got today was Statistical Methods I, and it looks like it's mostly going to be a Math class on probabilities. Can't say I'm enthusiastic at the prospect, but it might be helpful in the long run.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1076 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »

Also I'm growing disenchanted with certain aspects of trans/queer Discourse and I'm not sure what to do about this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1077 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »

I'm super excited about Bob Dylan's announcement today.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1078 on: September 25, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »

Currently I'm stuck right in the middle of a huge traffic jam.

5 miles of cars in front of me and 5 behind me ...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1079 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:31 AM »

Also I'm growing disenchanted with certain aspects of trans/queer Discourse and I'm not sure what to do about this.

What specifically?

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1080 on: September 25, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »

What specifically?

The language games with constantly shifting rules, partly. Mind you I'm really reluctant to be openly critical of this because most people who are openly critical of it are so as an excuse to be bigoted but it's getting exhausting to keep up with. Relatedly the idea that's developing that every conceivable facet of sexual predilection or gender expression can (or even has to) itself be an 'identity', and the ethos that the LGBT community ought to be 'inclusive' of everybody who is anything at all other than 'straight in a really narrow, specific way', rather than being a space for specific groups of people who have a specific shared history. Does that make sense?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1081 on: September 25, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »

What specifically?

The language games with constantly shifting rules, partly. Mind you I'm really reluctant to be openly critical of this because most people who are openly critical of it are so as an excuse to be bigoted but it's getting exhausting to keep up with. Relatedly the idea that's developing that every conceivable facet of sexual predilection or gender expression can (or even has to) itself be an 'identity', and the ethos that the LGBT community ought to be 'inclusive' of everybody who is anything at all other than 'straight in a really narrow, specific way', rather than being a space for specific groups of people who have a specific shared history. Does that make sense?

It's why I prefer the term 'queer'. I'm not (that) old but I'm young enough to remember as a teen in the late 90's when there was an LGB. Mindful of my audience here, I think it was well intended but not necessary to bring into the LGB identity (as a circle within queerness if you will) trans* issues because they don't necessarily sit together. They are 'other' and suffer from being 'other' but to quote a 70 year old gay friend of mine 'they tried to fix us (emphasis on the 'us') in the 50's and we fought back but now they ask to be fixed'. I can see the angle he's coming from here. Bringing in notions of the need to change and conform into the LGB sphere doesn't sit well with those who have a different sense of themselves.

Which is why I think that different identities that are not (to be wonderfully crude) 'man with penis, who loves his penis, only screws and or loves woman with vagina' are queer identities but they are not necessarily LGB...T identities.

In terms of identities for, I would say to someone call me what you want, being okay with it is more important than what you're calling me. LGBT is now often deployed as a legitimate moniker within conservative social and religious circles but on the basis that they are not okay with it and that for me means that it is in danger of not meaning anything.

A looser association for example also extends to the understanding that queer issues and rights are historically linked with women's rights and feminism and even with minority rights. They were born from the same movement, the same countenance.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1082 on: September 25, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »

For the record, the class I got today was Statistical Methods I, and it looks like it's mostly going to be a Math class on probabilities. Can't say I'm enthusiastic at the prospect, but it might be helpful in the long run.

I don't know what all they will cover in your course, but statistical methods have continued to gain in importance in all fields with the prevalence of cheap computing and data storage. I suspect that you are correct in surmising that it will be helpful in the long run.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1083 on: September 25, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »

I've been elected President of my schools Student Council.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1084 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »

One of my molars has busted open in the process of eating cereal, somehow. I'm stuck with it until the beginning of the week before I can really do anything about it.

The inside of a tooth is gross, you guys.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1085 on: September 25, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »

I don't know what all they will cover in your course, but statistical methods have continued to gain in importance in all fields with the prevalence of cheap computing and data storage. I suspect that you are correct in surmising that it will be helpful in the long run.

That's for sure! I've already had several classes in statistical methods (one each semester since I started my Masters at Sciences Po). It's just that those classes were more practical in the sense that they focused on how to actually perform data analyses, rather than on the math behind them. The current one, on the other hand, seems to be pure math.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1086 on: September 25, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »

One of my molars has busted open in the process of eating cereal, somehow. I'm stuck with it until the beginning of the week before I can really do anything about it.

Ugh, that sounds horrible...

Isn't there an emergency room or some other place you can go to get at least basic treatment immediately?? I know the US healthcare system sucks, but this is insane.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1087 on: September 25, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »

Isn't there an emergency room or some other place you can go to get at least basic treatment immediately?? I know the US healthcare system sucks, but this is insane.

They'd probably just give me painkillers and tell me to find a dentist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1088 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »

Breaking a tooth on a Friday evening is bad, but unless you live way out in the boondocks, Marokai, you should be able to find a dentist that does Saturday emergencies, tho they might be pricier than your regular dentist.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1089 on: September 25, 2015, 11:46:52 PM »

So I had wayyyyyy to much to drink tonight. The most I've ever had, in fact.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1090 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:12 PM »

So I had wayyyyyy to much to drink tonight. The most I've ever had, in fact.

Not trying to jinx, but make sure you have something to puke when you wake during the night. I had a pretty embarrassing experience on New Year's Eve (and yes, I had taken much more than two glasses Tongue).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1091 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »

What specifically?

It's why I prefer the term 'queer'. I'm not (that) old but I'm young enough to remember as a teen in the late 90's when there was an LGB. Mindful of my audience here, I think it was well intended but not necessary to bring into the LGB identity (as a circle within queerness if you will) trans* issues because they don't necessarily sit together. They are 'other' and suffer from being 'other' but to quote a 70 year old gay friend of mine 'they tried to fix us (emphasis on the 'us') in the 50's and we fought back but now they ask to be fixed'. I can see the angle he's coming from here. Bringing in notions of the need to change and conform into the LGB sphere doesn't sit well with those who have a different sense of themselves.

Which is why I think that different identities that are not (to be wonderfully crude) 'man with penis, who loves his penis, only screws and or loves woman with vagina' are queer identities but they are not necessarily LGB...T identities.

In terms of identities for, I would say to someone call me what you want, being okay with it is more important than what you're calling me. LGBT is now often deployed as a legitimate moniker within conservative social and religious circles but on the basis that they are not okay with it and that for me means that it is in danger of not meaning anything.

A looser association for example also extends to the understanding that queer issues and rights are historically linked with women's rights and feminism and even with minority rights. They were born from the same movement, the same countenance.

I appreciate that someone finds this a salient distinction.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1092 on: September 30, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »

I've been elected President of my schools Student Council.
Mazal tov!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1093 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »

One of the most fun facts about the US healthcare system is that dental work is never covered by regular health insurance, and you need supplemental coverage or you pay out of pocket.  Even when it's an Actually Serious problem that can cause wider issues, not just something cosmetic.

IIRC there was a story making the rounds a couple years ago about a young single father who died from an infected tooth because he couldn't afford to fix it.

That reminds me, it's been way too long since I've seen a dentist.  Really should get on that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1094 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:18 AM »

For those curious I did manage to get that tooth filled and, it being a secondary molar, that's evidently good enough. My insurance doesn't cover crowns, unfortunately. I can chew once more.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1095 on: October 01, 2015, 12:46:05 AM »

For those curious I did manage to get that tooth filled and, it being a secondary molar, that's evidently good enough. My insurance doesn't cover crowns, unfortunately. I can chew once more.

Good to hear!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1096 on: October 01, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »

Good to hear!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1097 on: October 02, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

Went to the old strip club (properly) for the first time in my life. Whilst I wasn't my cup of tea, I understand the attraction.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1098 on: October 02, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »

Went to the old strip club (properly) for the first time in my life. Whilst I wasn't my cup of tea, I understand the attraction.
I never did that and don't plan to ever do so, but some of my friends went to such a place recently - in the Amsterdam red light district, of course. One of them tried taking pictures. He got beaten up by a bouncer. I hope you didn't have such an experience Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1099 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »

I've booked myself a Columbus Day (or Día de la Raza, to be local) long weekend in Bogotá - population 6.7 million - travelling alone. People here seem to think I'm somewhat crazy travelling to the big city all by myself just to visit, and I might be a bit naive, but what the hell. I can't have lived in this country for so many months without ever going to its largest city and capital.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies