Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:24:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170941 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »

Got a prom date!  Cheesy

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Nominated for prom court! Cheesy 

This has been a good week.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »

Just took AP Micro today.  AP Compsci is tomorrow, and that will be my last AP exam ever! 

HS is wrapping up nicely. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 09:07:23 PM by RFayette »

No you don't. Because then you wouldn't be you. 'Normality' is overrated.

As can be abnormality.

Not that I disagree.

What is normal?

That's my go to response, but you have to admit it is a bit of an empty cliche in practice. No one is truly normal, but not all abnormalities are created equal.

What ends up mattering is acceptance of yourself, I think.

True.  Another thing I noticed is that we always want what we don't have.

When I confided to some of my more socially-graced friends how bad I felt about my social awkwardness/suckiness at practical/spatial things, they said they wished they had my quantitative ability/knowledge about things like politics and religion (and the fact I got into a little-known school in Palo Alto).  So our abnormalities we see as awful are often less recognized by peers than our strengths.

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Just finished my last day of high school! Cheesy
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »

I had a potentially life/career-altering conversation with a professor at my school yesterday.

Care to elaborate, if you don't mind?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »

I had a potentially life/career-altering conversation with a professor at my school yesterday.

Care to elaborate, if you don't mind?

I was going to do my master's thesis on representations of Christianity in Japanese media, especially media created by and for non-Christians. Now I think I might instead do a comparative study of the discourse on the body in the second chapter of the Vimalakirti Sutra and the episode of Thomas putting his finger through the Risen Christ's hand in the Gospel of John. Obviously these ideas entail very different subfocuses within the field of comparative theology, and would probably lead me towards different doctoral programs.

Wow.  I knew academics were pretty specialized in their focus, but this seems very intense and narrow.  I'm sure you'll do great at it, though.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

My courses this quarter are intro to computer science, linear algebra/multivariable calc, econ, and a P.E. jogging class.  The classes have gone pretty well so far.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »

Ah, the famed avalanche of assigned readings in US university classes... I'm dreading it too (classes start tomorrow).

Not so much for STEM majors.  My CS/math reading assignments take less than 20 minutes, though the psets and projects take quite a bit longer.  Econ takes a little more time though.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »

Hagrid, can I come to your place for Canuck thanksgiving next year? I literally am starving now after reading that post.

Agreed.  Anyways, I have a math midterm tomorrow (differential multivariable calc + linear algebra).  I'm a bit nervous, but it should be OK.   
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 03:01:23 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Sad  May I ask what's going on?

I hope you feel better soon!
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »

A weight off of my chest, I've just been accepted to college!
Awesome!

I still have five more schools to apply to, and I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Good luck with that Clark!  My advice is that given the January 1 deadlines for so many schools, you're best off really kicking into high gear putting effort into writing essays and stuff....you'll be thankful for all that effort come April 1.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

Welp, I just had my last finals today, hopefully my last ever as an undergrad.

Cool!  I just finished my first quarter of school on Monday, so I have a long way to go. Tongue

So are you graduating a semester early or something, or are you doing a coterminal master's program?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Could you describe what the position is, by chance?

Anyways, over break I'm visiting my sister who is doing a NIH fellowship in Peru.  Excited to see the Andes Mountains, Macchu Picchu, and Cuzco. Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »

Awesome!  He's a great man of God.  Enjoy seeing Ted Cruz as well.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »

I'm beginning to reconsider presenting myself as transgender/a woman, primarily for religious reasons.

Interesting....do you mind elucidating on that? 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »

I also have a job again Grin Getting paid very nicely, so I'm happy.

Congrats! Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »

Had a conversation last night with a friend of mine who's in an accelerated five-year bachelors/masters computer program (it'd be an MS in "Information Assurance"). Apparently you don't actually need to already have computer skills to get in, which is cool, and she's interviewing with frickin' BAE--British Aerospace Engineering or whatever. Incredibly jealous, but I hate technology, and if I went onto do my dream job, it'd be much more theory-based than "cybersecurity" (can barely stand the word "cyber"; sounds like something a sixty-year old uses to sound "hip to the jive" on "tech"). And apparently all the Information Assurance grad courses are online, which means the school charges half-price. Tired of the feeling that the best path to employment in the field I want to get involved in something I have absolutely no instinct for. Looks like academia might be my best bet. Tongue F#cking computer nerds had to destroy the national security field.

Hey now, I'm one of those "computer nerds" you're speaking
 of, I'm a BSIT major myself.

Cool!  Same, BS/MS CS major here! Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 04:51:36 PM »

Had a conversation last night with a friend of mine who's in an accelerated five-year bachelors/masters computer program (it'd be an MS in "Information Assurance"). Apparently you don't actually need to already have computer skills to get in, which is cool, and she's interviewing with frickin' BAE--British Aerospace Engineering or whatever. Incredibly jealous, but I hate technology, and if I went onto do my dream job, it'd be much more theory-based than "cybersecurity" (can barely stand the word "cyber"; sounds like something a sixty-year old uses to sound "hip to the jive" on "tech"). And apparently all the Information Assurance grad courses are online, which means the school charges half-price. Tired of the feeling that the best path to employment in the field I want to get involved in something I have absolutely no instinct for. Looks like academia might be my best bet. Tongue F#cking computer nerds had to destroy the national security field.

Hey now, I'm one of those "computer nerds" you're speaking
 of, I'm a BSIT major myself.

Cool!  Same, BS/MS CS major here! Smiley

God, you guys are the worst. Tongue Are you locked-in to a masters program? My school has a rash of accelerated bachelors-masters programs (five year
  • --ranging from Criminal Justice to Engineering) along with "seven year dental", "five year physician's assistant" and so on.
Not locked in, but I've already made a 4-year plan (can get master's + bachelor's in 4 years) and discussed it with my counselor, though I suppose I could change it.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Clearly, you're on your way to greatness, my friend.  All that's left is a good CADD certificate. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies