Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:34:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170883 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »

Applied to Millersville. Sawxy I'ma be in town on October 25th.

Are you coming to the "open house" event that day?  I've agreed to show people around my building from 10:30 till 11:45, then I'll head over to where they're giving away food. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 10:02:46 AM by angus »

What sort of studies interest you?  If you're into the physical sciences, you'll probably go on a tour of Caputo Hall.  It's a Saturday so there would not be much interesting going on, but it highlights the instrumentation and the facilities.  I'm not sure whether other academic departments do that.  Either way, if you're seriously considering MU, then take some time to visit the little booths and tables set up in the Student Memorial Center.  Talk to the faculty members who are there.  I imagine that at some point you'll have to listen to one of the deans drone on for about half an hour or so, but they might do that during the lunch so you can pay attention to your food while they're talking.  Usually it's light fare.  Sandwiches, wraps, chips, fruit, and cookies are commonly served at these things.  I'll probably be somewhere near the food around 12ish.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »

Glad you enjoyed your visit.  The English department has some interesting personalities, and from what the students say they span the political spectrum.  You'll be able to engage in conversation with enraged fascists yearning for a simpler time, tree-hugging hipsters in Che Guevara T-shirts and hemp scarves, and everything in between.  The Caputo Hall crowd tends to be a tad more stoic and apolitical than the English department, from what I have observed. 

You just missed PrideFest.  Here's a scanned front page of today's student newspaper. 

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

I'm also interested in writing for the paper, so it's pretty cool to see that they do issues far more frequently than my high school does.

They get pretty edgy sometimes.  For example, when the president made the unpopular decision to have Corbett speak at commencement, they supported a protest.  They also come off as very pro-union and minimum wage hike.  You'd fit right in.  They also have movie reviews, arts, sports (laughingly bad predictions about the MLB championship series), op/ed, and some national & world news.  I don't think it's daily, though.  Maybe twice per week.  I pick one up from time to time.  Not bad reading, as university newspapers go.  By the time you enroll Wolf should be the governor so they won't have quite as much to bitch about.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

My dentist keeps trying to get me to let her pull out my "wisdom" teeth.  No, thank you.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

Turned on the heat today.  First time this season.  It was 62 in the house this morning when I awoke, and I just couldn't take it any more.  Yeah, I'm a pussy.  I promptly set it at heat and 70.  Anyway, we have had that first-use-of-the-season burned dust smell in the house all day.  It's forecast to be in the high-30s again tonight, so I reckon we'll leave it on overnight, although I may set it at 68 or so.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 04:27:41 PM by angus »

Did y'all get Columbus Day off?  My son and I are on holiday, but my wife had to work.  He and I fired up the grill and peeled a few shrimp and did a dry rub and cooked them, along with a mess of chicken wings.  We had teriaki beef for desert.  All carnivore lunch today.  Mmmmmm.

Then we went to the gym for a couple of hours.  I did the circuit and the stationary bicycle while he played in the kidmazium for an hour, then we went to the pool and did some swimming, then just lounged in the hot tub for at least 30 minutes.  When we left it was raining.  Oops.  I hadn't brought an umbrella.  I told him to wait for me in the gym and I'd run home and get the car.  Luckily, just as I was exiting the gym, Master Kwan (from Tae Kwon Do) was also leaving so he drove us home.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies