Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:29:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170796 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »

Having a nice time in Halifax with life and classes and such.  But I was trying to lay the groundwork for a permanent teaching job here this year so that I could at long last live permanently with my lady.  But it's fairly obvious already that budget shortfalls and low enrollment in Nova Scotia schools will never produce a lasting gig for me here.  And it's pretty much becoming impossible for my girlfriend to viably relocate in the foreseeable future either.  So, next year it will be back to our lonesome corners.  I'm trying to take it in stride; I'm grateful for the year of employment I was granted up here now, and it's been nice living like a grown-up, in an actual house with a loved one, on a sustained basis for at least this time--it's been so long since I have.  I might not be so serene about it when I go back to the States by myself next year, and to a turbulent department to boot.  But, who knows what the future will bring?  One has to be happy in the moment when one can, because you never know about life tomorrow.

It's been, I must say, a fairly bad year in the world in general.  Conflicts, deadly illnesses, accidents, disasters, ect.  And a number of very nice people on Atlas seem to be having a hard time.  Hope things get better for everyone soon.  Let's hang in there for a few months and hope crossing the threshold into 2015 brings happier days for all.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »

I'm feeling more suicidal than I have in...weeks.

I know this is probably going to sound lame and cliche, Nathan.  But I think it's true anyway.  So much can change for the better in six weeks, one year, ten years.  There are so many great things I've experienced and learned since the times when I was at the lowest of my own lows--I really can't imagine now what a terrible shame it would have been to foreclose all those possibilities before I had a chance to experience them.  So, no matter what, just hang in there, man.  One upside to impermanence is that even very bad things pass.

Besides, a long time ago, in response to some mean post about how little the poor contribute to society, I remember you wrote that there was value in just existing--the quality of one person's experience and being increases the value of the world.  That's true of you too.

Besides, this forum needs every compassionate and smart poster it can keep. 

So, like I said, hang in there.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

My GF was hit by a car earlier today.  Not as serious as it could be– we're still waiting on MRI results but probably nothing broken?– but the whole incident was a shocking display of selfishness and inhumanity on the part of the driver and I have been quaking with rage all day.

Will have much more to say about this later.

Glad to hear it was not worse.  Still terrible.  
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »

I am becoming less and less tolerant of ideas I know I don't like.  I know the general point of life is that people are supposed to get better and more virtuous as they age, but, with regard to this issue, that's not happening with me.  Tongue
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »

It's grading week for me.  I'm almost done.  It's been an interesting semester.  A real "tale of two cities," with one third-and-fourth year class proving to be the best single group of undergrads I've taught in 20 years, and the other a second-year class that featured class absences, disregard for the content and plagiarism that at least rivals the worst I've seen in 20 years.  I suppose things are pretty much as they've ever been in that way.  But it's amazing how, when you teach for a long time, one semester can from day to day turn you from feeling fortunate and grateful into incredibly worried that the human species will cause its own end very soon.  
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »

Last December, for my "resolution," I set a six-and-a-half year goal for myself.  I vowed to acquire an "expert" chess rating (nominally 2000 in ELO and USCF, though USCF ratings are inflated compared to ELO) by the time I turned fifty.  I've only recently taken up the game competitively again after a 25-year hiatus.  On the two chess websites--Gameknot and Chessworld, where I compete, which use ELO ratings, I've already gotten there.  On Gameknot I just reached 2001, and on Chessworld I'm 2102.  But I still have a long way to go.  A real expert is 2000 in over-the-board tournament play, not in online play.  Online chess tends to yield wildly high ratings for a number of reasons.  I played in two live tournaments this year, did reasonably well in the first and horribly in the second---giving me a rating that is still too poor for me to own up to.  But I'm off to at least a hopeful start so far, so maybe I can get there with five and a half years to go.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »

On Monday, all the schools I'm affiliated with were complaining bitterly about having to hack their budgets to pieces, I got an "Americans overseas beware of terrorism" email from the State Department, my students this term firmly established a pattern of having no curiosity about the class they are taking from me this term, and it rained so hard in the afternoon, I was deterred from walking to a Happy Hour somewhere to comfort myself.  By sheer default, Tuesday was better.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »

I received author copies of my second book from the publisher today and distributed a few to friends.  Nice feeling.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »

I'm on a trip to Colombia at the moment.  Was invited through friends to give some talks here.  But I've been around the state of Antioquia a bit, but have spent most of my time in Medellin and Manizales.  I must say it's been really wonderful so far. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »

I'm on a trip to Colombia at the moment.  Was invited through friends to give some talks here.  But I've been around the state of Antioquia a bit, but have spent most of my time in Medellin and Manizales.  I must say it's been really wonderful so far. 

Oooh, that's awesome! I'm living in Manizales (which is an awesome city) right now, feel free to drop me a line if you want to meet up here or something.

Thanks, Hashemite!  I'm only here till Saturday and my friends have me doing stuff, but if I get some time, I'll definitely pm you.  I really like the city so far, it's very cool.  My friends, who live here also, tell me there is high unemployment in the city, but enough industries are doing well to keep it vibrant.  Love the people here too.  What brought you to live in Manizales?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:07:09 AM »

Sorry I couldn't find time to get in touch with you Hashemite, but my friends did take me all the places you mentioned in Manizales..  But those with a chance should visit Colombia.  What a wonderful time I had.  Heading back to Halifax tomorrow with its vast piles of snow.  Sad
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 04:35:32 AM »

The last month has been quite a whirlwind, including a big trip, a ton of work, taxes to file in two countries, ect.  But, though I didn't mention it here, a few weeks ago, one of my older brothers died unexpectedly.  He was really young, only 54.  Do fun, interesting, meaningful and good things with your lives, folks.  Life is rushing toward the finish line, and none of us knows where the finish line will be, so make it good while you have it.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:08:32 AM »

A few posts above I mentioned that an older brother of mine died a few weeks ago.  Not a single condolence response from any of you?  Ok.  Nice "community."
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »

Hi all.  I've been busy.  Been chair of my department for a semester now; got some good things accomplished and am, most importantly, still alive.  I really wish the folks in Springfield would pass a budget for this year.  If my university doesn't get state money by July 1st, I'll ask someone to send an FC update on my behalf as I sit outside on some hill in Jackson County and count the stars at night.

Hope everyone is well!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies