Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:48:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170956 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 21, 2014, 06:51:27 AM »

I'm currently starting the GOMAD diet, combined with some serious squats. It's going to be fun Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »

I had two that caused an acid reflex each night for about a year which not only meant I had to have them removed, but also resulted in fillings for most of my lower teeth.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

Dreamt that I hooked up with a mermaid that had human genitalia. Second dream involved taking the virginity of one of my best (female) friends. This isn't good.

You need Jesus, my friend.

kidding

Unless he dreams of taking his virginity.
Dan Brown said that Mary Magdalene already did that.

She wasn't as good as Peter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »

Our tree this year

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »

So after my civil partnership in 2012 and my New York marriage last month, we're now going to do it again for the 'third' time in converting our civil partnership to a marriage in Scotland.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »

I have some news.  A few weeks ago, I found out that I had a benign brain tumor.  At that point, I also found out that I had high cholesterol, and I was obese.  I have for the past few weeks been going through a diet and have so far lost about 10 pounds.  I just needed to get this off of my chest.

My mum has the same. Don't think about it; just keep it monitored Smiley Best of luck to you.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »

My grandfather passed away this morning. He had prostate cancer that had spread to his bones. He had a last hurrah, enjoyed his haggis, neeps and tatties and was comfortable.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 06:21:35 PM »

Still awaiting my husband's biopsy results. Hooray for February.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 04:24:56 AM »

Thanks Cathcon and Simfan. Still waiting to hear...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »

Thanks Cathcon and Simfan. Still waiting to hear...

He's clear. It wasn't cancerous. I am relieved.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

A friend and his other half from America staying with us (who was not injured) was involved in a serious road traffic accident. His other half is here and will be here for as long as it takes but our friend has been unconscious for three days and is critical. Things are a little tough right now.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »

No you don't. Because then you wouldn't be you. 'Normality' is overrated.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »

A friend and his other half from America staying with us (who was not injured) was involved in a serious road traffic accident. His other half is here and will be here for as long as it takes but our friend has been unconscious for three days and is critical. Things are a little tough right now.

He passed away today.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »

My husband just got accepted to study law.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:50 AM »

My husband just got accepted to study law.

Congratulations to him. Where is he going?

Glasgow. Three years. Scots Law (curiously)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 05:08:34 AM »

Tomorrow is AFP's National Day of Action. As a freshly hired Field Associate, I will be working 9-5 walking the streets of Boca Raton, knocking on hundreds of doors in 90+ heat, and will likely only get 10-15 surveys total. Plus I have to drive volunteers around, which makes me nervous.

9 to 5
What a way to make a livin'!
Things are less uptight
It's less takin' and more givin'.

Want to move ahead
And now that I can do it
Better get my rear in gear
And get right to it.

I enjoyed performing in 9 to 5, even if the number of cups of coffee my character drank exceeded the number of lines I had.

Who did you play?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »

Kudos Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »

Today I was stumped by a very Scottish tongue twister - purple burglar alarm.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:31 AM »

Also I'm growing disenchanted with certain aspects of trans/queer Discourse and I'm not sure what to do about this.

What specifically?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »

Also I'm growing disenchanted with certain aspects of trans/queer Discourse and I'm not sure what to do about this.

What specifically?

The language games with constantly shifting rules, partly. Mind you I'm really reluctant to be openly critical of this because most people who are openly critical of it are so as an excuse to be bigoted but it's getting exhausting to keep up with. Relatedly the idea that's developing that every conceivable facet of sexual predilection or gender expression can (or even has to) itself be an 'identity', and the ethos that the LGBT community ought to be 'inclusive' of everybody who is anything at all other than 'straight in a really narrow, specific way', rather than being a space for specific groups of people who have a specific shared history. Does that make sense?

It's why I prefer the term 'queer'. I'm not (that) old but I'm young enough to remember as a teen in the late 90's when there was an LGB. Mindful of my audience here, I think it was well intended but not necessary to bring into the LGB identity (as a circle within queerness if you will) trans* issues because they don't necessarily sit together. They are 'other' and suffer from being 'other' but to quote a 70 year old gay friend of mine 'they tried to fix us (emphasis on the 'us') in the 50's and we fought back but now they ask to be fixed'. I can see the angle he's coming from here. Bringing in notions of the need to change and conform into the LGB sphere doesn't sit well with those who have a different sense of themselves.

Which is why I think that different identities that are not (to be wonderfully crude) 'man with penis, who loves his penis, only screws and or loves woman with vagina' are queer identities but they are not necessarily LGB...T identities.

In terms of identities for, I would say to someone call me what you want, being okay with it is more important than what you're calling me. LGBT is now often deployed as a legitimate moniker within conservative social and religious circles but on the basis that they are not okay with it and that for me means that it is in danger of not meaning anything.

A looser association for example also extends to the understanding that queer issues and rights are historically linked with women's rights and feminism and even with minority rights. They were born from the same movement, the same countenance.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »

Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

Had a lovely chat with some Mormons.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »

Got a promotion at work. Up two levels to senior management. Very happy and a little overwhelmed!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »

Currently waiting in the cinema for The Danish Girl to start. I'm also going to New York in two weeks so hooray!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »

In New York...during a winter storm.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies