Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170807 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:13 PM »

So I went to go see The Death of Klinghoffer.  There were actually fewer protests and outbursts than I was expecting.  Might add some more thoughts about it later if I'm not too lazy.

(Spoiler: I'll probably be too lazy.)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »

I have never in my life seen such a feverish concentration of new construction- virtually entirely of the cookie-cutter three-story modernish townhouse variety- than I did while walking around Northern Liberties this weekend.

In other words, I was visiting Philly, as I am wont to do.  I promised this place several effortposts and I'll try to catch up this coming week.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »

My GF was hit by a car earlier today.  Not as serious as it could be– we're still waiting on MRI results but probably nothing broken?– but the whole incident was a shocking display of selfishness and inhumanity on the part of the driver and I have been quaking with rage all day.

Will have much more to say about this later.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »

I've been cooking pork chops a lot lately.  Yesterday I pan-fried 'em with apple, cabbage, garlic, fennel, and caraway, and some rosemary roasted potatoes on the side. 

It's a nice change from the endless pastas and stir-frys I was making in the summer.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »

It's Feburary 4, 2015, and I have for some reason just now decided to join the Twitters.

Which, if it sticks, probably means less time for Atlas going forward. Tongue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »

Allow me to explain the twelve-hour ordeal that I've had to deal with:

So speaking of train troubles, I went down to Philly for the weekend (said weekend also being my...ulp... 30th birthday, dear God what am I doing with my life I make Bushie look like a responsible and productive member of society), taking NJT/SEPTA instead of the usual BoltBus... and we sat in Penn Station for a half hour because they had to single-track under the Hudson.

Oh, by the way, that single tracking is gonna become way more common in the future given that those tunnels are a century old and got a bunch of Sandy damage we haven't had time to repair because trains are literally running under them as often as possible much of the day.

If only there was another tunnel that we could build, planned out and ready to go with federal help, to forestall the coming transitpocalypse.

Oh, if only. Too bad that never happened!  Ugh, don't get me started.  Because I will get on yet another (totally predictable rant) about our the f**kheads in Drumthwacket and Albany, and the sickening insistence that transit riders can get endless fare hikes and a crumbling system, whereas drivers can always get more and more lanes without ever having to pay a sensible level of gas tax... this whole system is just so horrifically f**ked.

Well, guess you got the Cliffs Notes of a rant anyway.  Happy March, everyone!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »

Truth-bomb from the GF, regarding those vocal folks on the internet who would go third-party in 2016 because Hillary is too right-wing:

"Voting with your moral heart is kind of a privileged position."

Of course, we'd both go third-party in event of Cuomo The Horrible– we're not completely without privilege ourselves.  But there are degrees.  Both of privilege, and of horribleness.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »

Good evening, Whinge Bingers!

I start the job tomorrow at 08:00, the 24th day of April this year of our lord 2015, officially my 29th year on this Earth.  It's not in the field of political science, and THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.  It's a good job and it'll pay the bills and I'm truly grateful for the fruits levied upon me by my savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.  I called up Mom and we are going to go to Wal-Mart in Willingboro tomorrow to pick out some new khaki slacks.  Tonight, I had pizza for dinner.  (Dad gummit!)  But it's a celebration of the job so it's perfectly fine.  I'll go back to tuna salad tomorrow.  Tonight it's Washington Capitals Hockey Club vs. New York (Long Island) Islanders Icesticks Team on National Broadcasting Company Sports Network at 19:00, followed by Chicago Injuns Savages Red Men Blackhawks vs. Nashville Predators Puck Men at 21:00!  I'll go to bed around 23:00 and awake at 06:30 for Work Day #1!  I'm so blessed.  The most important thing for every single person on the face of the Earth is thanking their Jesus before bed. 

Ah Willingboro. You might consider reading Herbert Gans' (Yale sociologist) seminal book on the place -Levittown (the city later changed its name, because "Levittown" seemed too down market). He moved in for a year when the subdivision tracts first opened up, and studied the habits of the natives. It was in the 1950's. Speaking of pizza, one thing he noted was that many who moved in had never lived in a heterogeneous community before, and thus the Italians in the hood introduced the WASPS and Jews to the pizza cuisine. They had never consumed one before. Yes, it was a long, long time ago. Smiley

And when they changed their name, Mr. Levitt had a snit fit and refused to donate any more schools!

Combine that with his policy of not selling to blacks, and you have a real charmer.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

A friend and his other half from America staying with us (who was not injured) was involved in a serious road traffic accident. His other half is here and will be here for as long as it takes but our friend has been unconscious for three days and is critical. Things are a little tough right now.

Good Lord!  You (and your friend) will be in my thoughts.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

Heading on a road trip with my father to St. Louis for my cousin's wedding, bright and early tomorrow morning, not returning back East until Tuesday.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that being able to add to this might be one of the more exciting aspects of this whole adventure.  

Anyway, see y'all on the flip side.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:40 PM »

A friend and his other half from America staying with us (who was not injured) was involved in a serious road traffic accident. His other half is here and will be here for as long as it takes but our friend has been unconscious for three days and is critical. Things are a little tough right now.

He passed away today.

That is so awful.  My condolences.  Sad
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »

Heading on a road trip with my father to St. Louis for my cousin's wedding, bright and early tomorrow morning, not returning back East until Tuesday.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that being able to add to this might be one of the more exciting aspects of this whole adventure.  

Anyway, see y'all on the flip side.

So I saw this sign en route:

I know it's not the same Paul Simon, but still the highlight of the trip out. 

The lowlight would probably be all those pro-fracking billboards in Western PA.  Ugh.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:17:53 PM »

So the hotel TV just aired an ad paid for by the Club For Growth attacking Rep. Bill Schuster it seems for his support of the Export-Import Bank.

Said institution was described as "crony capitalist," while at the same time "many conservatives want to get rid of it."
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »

Indy Texas will be re-branding as Indy Wisconsin later this summer.

Huzzah!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »

F**king air conditioning. It's f**king everywhere. In every. Damn. Building. I went to LA to finally get some warmth, and instead I end up freezing like an idiot. And now I thing I caught a cold. A f**king cold in LA in September!!!

And it wastes billions of dollars. And pollutes the environment. F**king disgusting.

It's quite telling that everyone says they love hot and dry Southwestern weather, but can't live without cranking up the AC and draining the Colorado for their turfgrass lawns.

It's almost like, maybe just maybe, cold and wet is the way to go.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »

One of my molars has busted open in the process of eating cereal, somehow. I'm stuck with it until the beginning of the week before I can really do anything about it.

The inside of a tooth is gross, you guys.

Ugh, that sounds horrible...

Isn't there an emergency room or some other place you can go to get at least basic treatment immediately?? I know the US healthcare system sucks, but this is insane.

One of the most fun facts about the US healthcare system is that dental work is never covered by regular health insurance, and you need supplemental coverage or you pay out of pocket.  Even when it's an Actually Serious problem that can cause wider issues, not just something cosmetic.

IIRC there was a story making the rounds a couple years ago about a young single father who died from an infected tooth because he couldn't afford to fix it.

That reminds me, it's been way too long since I've seen a dentist.  Really should get on that.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 12:46:05 AM »

For those curious I did manage to get that tooth filled and, it being a secondary molar, that's evidently good enough. My insurance doesn't cover crowns, unfortunately. I can chew once more.

Good to hear!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »

On account of the city-wide threat of a college campus shooting at 2pm tomorrow, I will be taking my 2nd intentional unexcused absence during my time here. Better safe than sorry in spite of the low chance considering my classroom is the "open-room design" in the lobby of the building with by far the highest traffic. Seems like no one will be going to class tomorrow across the city from what I'm hearing. #StuffHappens
Where does this threat come from?

The same 4chan board that appears to have nurtured the Oregon shooter.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »

"Cuck" is a useful term insofar as you can safely assume anyone who uses it is an awful human being and an out-and-out white supremacist who is not worth your time.  I guess it might almost be a good thing, in a way, that more people are able to make out that dogwhistle's frequency.

In other, allow-myself-to-brag-for-just-a-moment news, I had a sip of Sam Adams Utopias today.  It was delicious, but no of course it's not worth the price tag.  Not that I would have expected different.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies