Webb takes federalist position on gay marriage UPDATE: not anymore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Webb takes federalist position on gay marriage UPDATE: not anymore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Webb takes federalist position on gay marriage UPDATE: not anymore  (Read 2126 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
« edited: June 30, 2015, 03:59:15 AM by Mr. Morden »

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-transcript-october-5-2014-n218796

You must be logged in to read this quote.

UPDATE:

The above was in October.  Now it looks like he's embracing SCOTUS's SSM ruling.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »

What does he think this is, 2013?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »

I think he just torpedoed his own primary bid with that.  Now a GOP candidate taking that position would be more interesting.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »

The media's fascination with Webb is adorable, but sorry guys, it isn't gonna happen. He didn't even have the guts to try to hold his Senate seat in 2012 (luckily we had Kaine to pick up his slack), why should he be trusted to fight for the presidency?

Webb/Schweitzer 2016, "Cut and Run!"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »

The media's fascination with Webb is adorable, but sorry guys, it isn't gonna happen. He didn't even have the guts to try to hold his Senate seat in 2012 (luckily we had Kaine to pick up his slack), why should he be trusted to fight for the presidency?

You're saying Webb didn't run because he was afraid of losing?  lol
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »

You're saying Webb didn't run because he was afraid of losing?  lol

Perhaps. Even if you take him at his word and assume he was just tired of government and wanted to return to the private sector, if he can't cut it as a Senator, why would he able to cut it as president?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

Webb certainly sounded like a candidate in MTP on Sunday, especially the way he pivoted questions about foreign policy to talk about domestic issues and the middle class.

If he runs in the Dem primary he will fully evolve to the accepted SSM position within the Dem party (and with 60% of the country). He isn't an idiot.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:02:07 AM »

Webb's focus, if he runs, will be on providing a foreign policy alternative to Hillary.  He will happily change his position on SSM if needed.
Chilltown
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:33:50 AM »

Haven't the courts sort of made this position impossible?
DS0816
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »

None of this topic matters.

Forget Jim Webb.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »

Webb's "natural constituency," inasmuch as he has one, is the 2008 Hillary voter. Which is somewhat problematic when his opponent is Hillary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »

Webb's "natural constituency," inasmuch as he has one, is the 2008 Hillary voter. Which is somewhat problematic when his opponent is Hillary.

It's not clear to me that Hillary Clinton was the most natural fit for the prototypical 2008 Clinton voter.  Part of why she attracted that type of voter was because she was running against a black.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

Jim Webb was so sick of Government that now, just 2 years later, he wants to be President.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »

It's not clear to me that Hillary Clinton was the most natural fit for the prototypical 2008 Clinton voter.  Part of why she attracted that type of voter was because she was running against a black.

Yes, but she also was a better fit than pretty much any other nationally-known Democrat (an argument could be made for Edwards) if you look at her as an extension of Bill.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 09:02:42 PM by Ectoplasm X »

Did you really just use the phrase "Cut and Run" to attack a veteran who was awarded two Purple Hearts, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and a Navy Cross?  Seriously?  I know you're a charter member of the Hacks for Hillary brigade, but show some respect Angry  I don't know how they do things in Pennsylvania, but in Ohio we don't take kindly to people accusing veterans of being cowards.  If you want to attack Webb, that's fine, but please stop disrespecting the sacrifices of the men and women who risk their lives fighting to protect our freedoms.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »

Did you really just use the phrase "Cut and Run" to attack a veteran who was awarded two Purple Hearts, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and a Navy Cross?  Seriously?  I know you're a charter member of the Hacks for Hillary brigade, but show some respect Angry  I don't know how they do things in Pennsylvania, but in Ohio we don't take kindly to people accusing veterans of being cowards.  If you want to attack Webb, that's fine, but please stop disrespecting the sacrifices of the men and women who risk their lives fighting to protect our freedoms.

Sarcasm I hope? It would take a massive lack of reading comprehension skills to interpret that post as an attack on Webb's military service.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »

Haven't the courts sort of made this position impossible?
So far, yes, but watch the 5th and 6th Circuits. If someone is going to rule against gay marriage, it will be one of those two.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »

Sarcasm I hope? It would take a massive lack of reading comprehension skills to interpret that post as an attack on Webb's military service.

Dude, you basically called a decorated veteran a coward and used the phrase "cut and run" to do it.  It's pretty obvious what you were trying to do in that post, you might as well own up to it.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

Did you really just use the phrase "Cut and Run" to attack a veteran who was awarded two Purple Hearts, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and a Navy Cross?  Seriously?  I know you're a charter member of the Hacks for Hillary brigade, but show some respect Angry  I don't know how they do things in Pennsylvania, but in Ohio we don't take kindly to people accusing veterans of being cowards.  If you want to attack Webb, that's fine, but please stop disrespecting the sacrifices of the men and women who risk their lives fighting to protect our freedoms.

Dude, you basically called a decorated veteran a coward and used the phrase "cut and run" to do it.  It's pretty obvious what you were trying to do in that post, you might as well own up to it.

That was clearly not what IceSpear was up to in that post. Slowly let go of your pearls.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2014, 09:44:22 AM by Ectoplasm X »

Dude, you basically called a decorated veteran a coward and used the phrase "cut and run" to do it.  It's pretty obvious what you were trying to do in that post, you might as well own up to it.

That was clearly not what IceSpear was up to in that post. Slowly let go of your pearls.

No, it seemed pretty clear that was what he was doing (term "cut-and-run" has enough of a history that I doubt he was oblivious to the implications of the wording).  That said, if IceSpear insisted it was simply a very poor choice of words designed to get a reaction rather than deliberately disrespecting Webb's service, I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't believe for a second that he was completely oblivious to what his post was implying.  I'll admit some of the things that I see on the forum (ex: the Update, Opebo's bizarre cult following, the racism of certain posters, etc) make me assume the worst here, sometimes wrongly, more than I should, but I don't think that was what was going on here.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »

Dude, you basically called a decorated veteran a coward and used the phrase "cut and run" to do it.  It's pretty obvious what you were trying to do in that post, you might as well own up to it.

No, it seemed pretty clear that was what he was doing (term "cut-and-run" has enough of a history that I doubt he was oblivious to the implications of the wording).  That said, if IceSpear insisted it was simply a very poor choice of words designed to get a reaction rather than deliberately disrespecting Webb's service, I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't believe for a second that he was completely oblivious to what his post was implying.  I'll admit some of the things that I see on the forum (ex: the Update, Opebo's bizarre cult following, the racism of certain posters, etc) make me assume the worst here, sometimes wrongly, more than I should, but I don't think that was what was going on here.
Do I have to spell it out for you?

"Cut and Run" was a reference to Webb's refusal to run for reelection to the Senate in 2012 and Schwietzer's  refusal to run in 2014.

You can't create some other random conclusion from what he said because you feel like it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »

Do I have to spell it out for you?

"Cut and Run" was a reference to Webb's refusal to run for reelection to the Senate in 2012 and Schwietzer's  refusal to run in 2014.

You can't create some other random conclusion from what he said because you feel like it.

Yup, thanks for spelling it out. It's not like wars are the only context in which the phrase "cut and run" is used. I also included Schweitzer in the post (who never even served in the military), so I'm not sure how anyone could possibly read it that way.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

I've never understood why people listed Webb as a Democratic presidential candidate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »

I've never understood why people listed Webb as a Democratic presidential candidate.

It's because he's visiting early primary states like New Hampshire and says that he's thinking about running for president.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »

Jim Webb was so sick of Government that now, just 2 years later, he wants to be President.

If Webb becomes President, how long before he would want to retire again?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies