Not-so-ready-for-Hillary: Some big $ Dem. donors not on Clinton bandwagon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:52:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Not-so-ready-for-Hillary: Some big $ Dem. donors not on Clinton bandwagon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not-so-ready-for-Hillary: Some big $ Dem. donors not on Clinton bandwagon  (Read 1228 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/hillary-clinton-donors-2016-elections-111622.html?hp=t1

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »

The problem here is that even though liberal voters and donors might not like her there's no infighting among Democrats at the candidate level. Elizabeth Warren doesn't hate Hillary Clinton enough to run against her and bribing her to do so is against what makes Warren good.

More importantly, Obama is going to back the Clintons. He's still a rockstar in the black community. No matter how popular or unpopular he is next year with the national as a whole, if you don't have him to turn the black vote against Hillary, there's no way forward for a challenger in the primaries.
KCDem

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »

More desperate Politico spin.
Chilltown
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2014, 12:32:13 PM by Chilltown »

there's no way forward for a challenger in the primaries.

A challenger* is inevitable. The Democratic Party is far too diverse for a candidate to satisfy everybody in the early contests. As the presumed nominee, Clinton will not be able to take a lot of stances that satisfy a lot of the more activist types, which creates space for a challenger, and whoever this challenger is will get coverage by the media.

More than likely this challenger will be some loser congressman or something that has no chance of beating her, but I would not be surprised if Clinton was held to around 60-70% in Iowa.

*and by challenger I mean a non-negligible challenger, not a Randall Terry type.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »

Politico's concern trolling about Hillary is getting old. Maybe they should go back to talking about how Ed Gillespie is making it a race in Virginia.

Good lord. Are they seriously trying to compare Romney, who was polling at like 20% at best at this point, with Hillary who is polling at 60-70%? Politico's delusion knows no bounds.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »

Sad state of affairs. 

The reasons to oppose Hillary Clinton are plenty, and I've already enumerated just a few of them, but because of the way our system has evolved, none of these seem to matter.  All that matters is the money.  It's always the money.  Well, if that's the way it is, so be it.  I'd rather she lose for the right reasons, but any way that keeps her out of the government is a very good thing for the people of the United States.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm still not voting for Hillary. If Bernie Sanders runs, he's got my vote.

Which doesn't mean she won't get the nomination or win the Presidency. It's hers. I don't know why we even have to undergo the whole primary and general election process. No matter what, she's going to be President*

* = unless she like...dies or something. God forbid.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Yeah, I'm still not voting for Hillary. If Bernie Sanders runs, he's got my vote.

Which doesn't mean she won't get the nomination or win the Presidency. It's hers. I don't know why we even have to undergo the whole primary and general election process. No matter what, she's going to be President*

I wouldn't go as far as saying the general election is hers. It's possible that the environment could get so bad for Democrats that it would take a miracle for any D to win, or if she ended up running a horrible campaign, losing the debates, getting enveloped in some type of scandal, etc. could cause her to lose as well. But yeah, I'll go on record saying that the Democratic nomination is 100% hers if she runs. If I'm wrong, everyone can feel free to make this post my version of "Rick Santorum will win". Tongue
Chilltown
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 06:38:34 AM by Chilltown »

I'm sure the Clintons have a back up plan in that case. They probably have some sort of clone vessel for Hillary to store her soul (if she has one) into in case of untimely death like Emperor Palpatine.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:57 AM »

They probably have some sort of clone vessel for Hillary to store her soul (if she has one) into in case of untimely death like Emperor Palpatine.

"Bob Dole, not male, not female, not even human!  Bob Dole, beam of pure energy.  How about that?  Never tires, never ages."

"Senator, even assuming you could be converted into pure energy, where would this beam of energy be stored?"

"Well, the Bob Dole energy beam would be stored in a….a crystal.  Then when Congress is ready to pass real welfare reform, or real deficit reduction, Bob Dole, why he'd simply….jump out of the crystal and materialize."

"Like…Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Yeah, whoever that is, sure."

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

I'm sure the Clintons have a back up plan in that case. They probably have some sort of clone vessel for Hillary to store her soul (if she has one) into in case of untimely death like Emperor Palpatine.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=194715.0
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »

The nomination is hers for the taking should she desire it (not a 100% confirmed fact yet, though close enough for my purposes).

That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.  I know I'll cast a meaningless protest vote against whomever's primary challenging her.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »

Andrew Cuomo?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

The problem here is that even though liberal voters and donors might not like her there's no infighting among Democrats at the candidate level. Elizabeth Warren doesn't hate Hillary Clinton enough to run against her and bribing her to do so is against what makes Warren good.

More importantly, Obama is going to back the Clintons. He's still a rockstar in the black community. No matter how popular or unpopular he is next year with the national as a whole, if you don't have him to turn the black vote against Hillary, there's no way forward for a challenger in the primaries.
What would Obama do if Biden decides to challenge her?

Probably stay neutral, but it seems highly unlikely he will. I kind of doubt that Biden wants his final act on the political stage to be getting curbstomped by Hillary. He'd rather be remembered as Obama's loyal VP and Senate dealmaker.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:39 PM »

What would Obama do if Biden decides to challenge her?

Probably stay neutral, but it seems highly unlikely he will. I kind of doubt that Biden wants his final act on the political stage to be getting curbstomped by Hillary. He'd rather be remembered as Obama's loyal VP and Senate dealmaker.
Any chance he comes back for Secretary of State under a Hillary Presidency? That's the job he really wanted.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies