SCOTUS rejects all SSM petitions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:49:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS rejects all SSM petitions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SCOTUS rejects all SSM petitions  (Read 3947 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

Chalk up another win for progressives.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »

Glorious news!  Especially here in Virginia.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »

Spot on analysis
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

I like how Puerto Rico and the other territories don't even make the map. As usual. They are part of the United States too.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »

Excellent news.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »

This means 30 states will have SSM next week.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

The backlash from going the judicial route doesn't seem that bad yet.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »

Wasn't there one court that upheld a SMM ban? Or did that get that get overturned by a higher court?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »

Wasn't there one court that upheld a SMM ban? Or did that get that get overturned by a higher court?

Yes (it think it was Louisiana), but that was appealed to the Circuit Court, which didn't ruled yet on it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

...and we continue to look utterly ridiculous.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2014, 05:56:14 PM by Joe Republic »

Come on, Nevada.  It doesn't look great for our reputation as the state of debauched marriages when gays can get married in the Deep South and friggin' Utah and not here.
CJK
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »

Disgusting that the court refuses to perform its job again.

You know who I blame for this fiasco? The Founding Fathers. They invented an imaginary right, no taxation without representation, even though their own laws excluded large numbers of taxpayers from voting. Now we have an imaginary right to homosexual marriage.

If stayed with Britain we wouldn't have the out-of-control court system caused by "judicial review".
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

You know who I blame for this fiasco? The Founding Fathers. They invented an imaginary right, no taxation without representation, even though their own laws excluded large numbers of taxpayers from voting. Now we have an imaginary right to homosexual marriage.

If stayed with Britain we wouldn't have the out-of-control court system caused by "judicial review".

Good news! Looks like the social conservatives are angry and everyone else is rejoicing!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »

Good news! Looks like the social conservatives are angry and everyone else is rejoicing!

It's kind of amusing since all 'rights' are in one way or another invented or imagined.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »

Wow. Republicans frequently look fondly upon the Reagan years of the 1980s. I've heard conservatives pine for the old-fashioned family values of the 1950s, or the small government of the pre-new deal 1900s. I've even read opinions of Supreme Court justices arguing that we should revert back to the early 1800s understanding of the commerce clause. But I don't think I've ever heard a conservative go so far as to advocate that things would be better if we had never left Britain in the first place. Roll Eyes
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

Calm down, woudjya? Read the 14th Amendment.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »

Pence has announced that while he still opposes it, Indiana must obey the court's decision, i.e. he's not going to fight it and the gay marriage ban amendment is dead Cheesy
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but now a majority of Americans live in a state where SSM is legal.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

Wow. Republicans frequently look fondly upon the Reagan years of the 1980s. I've heard conservatives pine for the old-fashioned family values of the 1950s, or the small government of the pre-new deal 1900s. I've even read opinions of Supreme Court justices arguing that we should revert back to the early 1800s understanding of the commerce clause. But I don't think I've ever heard a conservative go so far as to advocate that things would be better if we had never left Britain in the first place. Roll Eyes

I never know when CJK is trolling, but some conservatives have indeed criticized the intellectual basis for the Declaration.  There's a lot more to conservatism than what you see on Fox News.

Really though, from a conservative point of view, this is a far better path to nationwide gay marriage than another precedent setting opinion from Kennedy.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »

Should I remind you that he's a Godwin's Law apologist?

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »

Some good things about sticking with Britain:

1. We would have abolished slavery about thirty years earlier. I think that Abraham Lincoln was contemplating use of the model of Britain in America -- buying the freedom of slaves from their owners, which would have been much less costly than the American Civil War. 

2. We would have licked the Kaiser earlier and spared the world of the Bolshevik Revolution and Stalin  -- maybe Hitler, too. Figure that the treaty ending WWI would have been less vindictive.

3. We would have sent Hitler to Hell faster if he appeared on the scene -- with the aid of our good buddy, Imperial Russia (which would have likely reformed into a very different, more liberal, just, and tolerant society). Likewise any militarist thugs in Japan.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »

Looks like Colorado will play ball. Republican AG says Colorado's ban is invalidated. Don't color it in yet, but marriages likely to begin there soon.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/10/06/same-sex-marriage-colorado/16801731/

Colorado should be number 25.
Chilltown
Rookie
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »

Some good things about sticking with Britain:

1. We would have abolished slavery about thirty years earlier. I think that Abraham Lincoln was contemplating use of the model of Britain in America -- buying the freedom of slaves from their owners, which would have been much less costly than the American Civil War. 

2. We would have licked the Kaiser earlier and spared the world of the Bolshevik Revolution and Stalin  -- maybe Hitler, too. Figure that the treaty ending WWI would have been less vindictive.

3. We would have sent Hitler to Hell faster if he appeared on the scene -- with the aid of our good buddy, Imperial Russia (which would have likely reformed into a very different, more liberal, just, and tolerant society). Likewise any militarist thugs in Japan.

History doesn't work like that...
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

Really though, from a conservative point of view, this is a far better path to nationwide gay marriage than another precedent setting opinion from Kennedy.

I totally agree. A drop by drop approach, continuing uninterrupted for months and even years, is probably much better for long term acceptance across the board than an atomic bomb detonating once and for all from the Supreme Court's head quarter in that hated and much-maligned city called Washington DC. People need to get used to the very idea, at least older people, and that sure takes time. It's simply not done with a magic wand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies