School district of Philadelphia cancels contract with teachers union
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  School district of Philadelphia cancels contract with teachers union
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: School district of Philadelphia cancels contract with teachers union  (Read 1343 times)
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26713753/philadelphia-schools-ax-teachers-contract

They want them to pay for their own health care. Corbett says this will "close the funding gap" and allow new personnel to be hired.

Is it November yet?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »

Glorious News!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »

How is that legal?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26713753/philadelphia-schools-ax-teachers-contract

They want them to pay for their own health care. Corbett says this will "close the funding gap" and allow new personnel to be hired.

Is it November yet?

They already pay for their own health care. It's part of the package by which they're compensated for their labor.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:10:29 AM »

Is it November yet?

They already pay for their own health care. It's part of the package by which they're compensated for their labor.

Exactly.  And can we preemptively ban krazen from this thread before he train wrecks it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »

Well, they pillaged the treasury until the well ran dry.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »

C'mon krazen. You owe us a more entertaining response than that.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »

Is it November yet?

Actually, they want them to pay 13% of their own health care. But then again these people have failed at mathematics for some time, which is how they squander $3 billion a year in the first place.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »

Looks like Corbett is trying to wreak as much havoc as possible on his way out.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »

Well, yes, in the sense that Corbett has signed legislation permitting the draconian and agonizing Philadelphia City council to levy draconian and agonizing tax increases on the populace.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »

I find it odd that my employer can manage to pay 100% of my health insurance premiums but Philadelphia can't do so for the people who educate their kids.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

I find it odd that my employer can manage to pay 100% of my health insurance premiums but Philadelphia can't do so for the people who educate their kids.

Apparently the only district in the state(?) where teachers don't fully pay their own premiums(?) is Neshaminy(?)

I heard this from one of my teachers, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

The difference, however, is that other teachers make far more money than the ones in Philadelphia do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »

I find it odd that people think employers should have anything to do with health insurance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »

Well, yes, in the sense that Corbett has signed legislation permitting the draconian and agonizing Philadelphia City council to levy draconian and agonizing tax increases on the populace.

If the population, through its representatives, accepts a certain amount of government spending, shouldn't the government be entitled to fulfill the people's wishes and fund said spending?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »

not sure, there might be some 'emergency' power.  the article doesn't mention anything about the unions pursuing a lawsuit, which they doubtless would if they thought they had a chance.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »

I find it odd that people think employers should have anything to do with health insurance.

I find that odd too, but I also don't think that the way to fight against it is to start making it less affordable to a group of schoolteachers. This need not be the vanguard. The system doesn't get torn down by shafting individuals on a case by case basis.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »

they more or less agreed to as part of the grand bargain in ~1947 that avoided a national health care program.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Update: Michael Nutter came out in support of the cancellation, and there is an imminent chance that the teachers union will sue.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »

Lol, really?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »

Lol, really?

Yeah, really.  Why should employers be burdened by having to deal with selecting one or more health insurance plans their employees have access to?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »

Lol, really?

Yeah, really.  Why should employers be burdened by having to deal with selecting one or more health insurance plans their employees have access to?
So what are you proposing (if anything) in place of employer insurance? Pay raises in exchange for employees buying their own?

(Not trying to start a fight; actually interested in your response)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »

Lol, really?

So what are you proposing (if anything) in place of employer insurance? Pay raises in exchange for employees buying their own?

I think Ernest supports some sort of universal system...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

If the population, through its representatives, accepts a certain amount of government spending, shouldn't the government be entitled to fulfill the people's wishes and fund said spending?

Certainly they are entitled to do so. Given that Philadelphia fails to cover even 47% of the massive spending of the school district, these changes are perhaps good for the remainder of the Commonwealth that is burdened with dead weight.

Of course, these changes are perhaps not so good for the people obliterated by the draconian and agonizing tax increases.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 01:38:58 AM »

Lol, really?

I think Ernest supports some sort of universal system...

It would be rather illiberal to ban employer-sponsored insurance, but removing the tax advantages for going that route instead of giving employees more cash and having them buy their own insurance, should definitely be done.

Universal health care is a separate issue, and other than not having mandates that employers must offer health insurance, I'm fairly agnostic as the method used to reach that goal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies