Possible coup in North Korea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:29:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Possible coup in North Korea
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible coup in North Korea  (Read 931 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »

Though we (wrongly) suspected Kim Jong-un of being a puppet before, there is decent evidence that there was recently a silent coup in the DPRK.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »

Oh snap.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »

Yeah, like you said, the media has cried wolf too many times for me to believe it at this point.

If there was one though, I think the bigger sign was the DPRK official showing up in Seoul, rather than anything happening in Pyongyang.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »

Yeah, like you said, the media has cried wolf too many times for me to believe it at this point.

Pretty much. I wish beyond words this was real, but there's too much wishful thinking in rumor after rumor. It's getting cruel.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2014, 08:58:59 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

Pretty much. I wish beyond words this was real, but there's too much wishful thinking in rumor after rumor. It's getting cruel.

The lack of hard information from North Korea means that even wild, poorly-sourced rumors are often reported as fact. Of course, the documented facts we know about North Korea are crazy enough that it's little wonder rumors take hold. That being said,  Kim Jong Un is clearly unhealthy and it's possible that he's been incapacitated leaving a power vacuum (this is more believable than a coup anyway). Either way, we won't know for months or possibly years.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »

I highly doubt a coup has gone down; it is likely that the Kim faction is still in control, but not Kim himself (has he ever had total control?). I expect to see him in a few weeks as if nothing has happened unless things really change.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

I heard that he had gone through some operations after having been a little bit too fond of Swiss cheese. Leading both of his legs to strike at the same time. Though this might have been just another rumour. I also heard that his sister might have taken control of the daily business while he was in hospital.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

Don't worry, guys. If Kim Jong-un kickc the bucket, he'll still watch over North Korea as Eternal First Secretary or Eternal Something.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »

I highly doubt a coup has gone down; it is likely that the Kim faction is still in control, but not Kim himself (has he ever had total control?). I expect to see him in a few weeks as if nothing has happened unless things really change.

Who is the Kim faction?

His father's faction was the military but -un weirdly seems to get most of his power (officially at least) from the Korean Workers' Party.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »

The lack of hard information from North Korea means that even wild, poorly-sourced rumors are often reported as fact.

No, irresponsible assholes reporting wild, poorly-sourced rumors as fact mean that wild, poorly-sourced rumors are reported as fact.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Kims have been in control of North Korea since the 1940s. There is nothing in the "crazy" documented facts about North Korea that suggests a coup is occurring to overthrow a Kim every six months.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/8/us-intel-kim-jong-un-still-in-charge-in-north-kore/?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »

I mean, unless he was dying he could be carted out? I'm inclined to think even the North Korean people would be jarred by his absence.

If FDR managed to conceal his being wheelchair bound to the general public in a democracy certainly Kim Jong-Un could manage it.

He wouldn't have to be seen going out giving "on-the-spot guidance" but going to (another) concert of the Moranbong Band or visiting a youth centre shouldn't be impossible to manage. Heck, he could review a parade whilst sitting down, if need be. Which brings us to whether we'll see him on Friday at the WPK anniversary parade.

Something does seem strange here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies