Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:06:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)  (Read 1091 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
« edited: October 10, 2014, 08:53:52 PM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senators, you have 72 hours to question the nominee. That said, and since we need to fill the cabinet quickly I want to see if it's possible for the Senators not to question the nominee so the vote can start in 24 hours. I think we all know SirNick very well and remember his past hearing, so I don't think there's anything to be asked right now.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »

I think everyone knows my track record, but nonetheless I am open for questions.

I will mention that I strongly back the GM Amendment that the Senate is currently debating.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »

Can someone give me a run down on why he was removed. All I saw was because DemPGH hated the terrorist story?

Will that story be reinstated?

We need to make the GM more powerful regarding story making and I encourage the nominee to read my "A Speech" speech and give me his thoughts on making adhering to such stories a condition on participation in the game?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »

Can someone give me a run down on why he was removed. All I saw was because DemPGH hated the terrorist story?

Well, by Thurdsay DemPGH had not really reacted to the terrorist attack, which prompted SirNick to state that the market was in trouble due to the administration not bothering to act. It was reported that both held a conversation in which DemPGH apparently threatened him to turn the story into a natural disaster instead of a terrorist attack and SirNick refused. Then DemPGH stated in public that he would not acknowledge the story and that he had control over who was the GM.

It seems DemPGH's view was that there was a conspiracy by SirNick to undermine his administration and supposedly destroy the economy, so he decided to sack him, which in turn led to the backlash and his (apparently) forced resignation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »

The GM should be be the independent source of current events that we all, President included, react to.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »

Lumine has the storyline down.

Will that story be reinstated?

We need to make the GM more powerful regarding story making and I encourage the nominee to read my "A Speech" speech and give me his thoughts on making adhering to such stories a condition on participation in the game?

Yes, the story will be reinstated. I will attempt to incorporate almost everything that has happened into my next update.

I would read your speech, is it a recent one in your thread? If its older then could you link me? From what you said I'm very interested.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »

My favorite color is red, maroon in particular, for the record.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »

Will you execute the role in an evenhanded way rather than with political bias?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »

Will you execute the role in an evenhanded way rather than with political bias?

I'm going to try to, but at the same time, that opinion is rendered in the eye of the beholder. No bias to one can be bias to another.  

Nonetheless, I will reward and punish those as they merit not based on my own political predispositions.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »

If you are confirmed, will you stop making nasty comments about former Vice President Windjammer? Or do you not see those comments as a problem?

I wouldn't make comments about him in a formal capacity as GM. Personally, if it merits then I'd consider it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »

Will you please end this insanity?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't prescribe medication for insanity. As for the insanity in Atlasia, I will end it -- but actions need consequences.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

Right, it's about time we vote on this. Senators, a vote is now open, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »

Aye.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

Aye
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »

Thanks for waiting until voting to bring up your concerns Averroes Smiley
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »

This will probably upset some people, but I must cast a reluctant NAY.

President DemPGH's summary dismissal of Sirnick was wrong. We should not remove a Game Moderator simply because we dislike the story that he is telling. That is his job, and doing it well almost necessarily involves upsetting everyone.

However, I remain concerned about Sirnick's ability to serve without letting partisan and personal resentments get in the way. His behavior since his defeat in the June presidential election has been erratic and frequently cruel. If we want to restore the legitimacy of the Game Moderator, this is unacceptable.

First, I don't know how to prove that I won't do something in the future --besides not doing it in the future.  My track record as Game Moderator, and even as Governor, reasonably shows to my ability to do things without necessarily being partisan. Like I said earlier, partisanship is in the eye of the beholder.

Second, my behavior has not been erratic. I took a break from the game, then I came back. I've done this once since I've been part of the game (since 2012).

Third, I have been more blunt with my opinion on people's online personas. I'm not going to name names, but you know who they are, and you know I don't hit them negatively in GM updates. Example -- There is a certain Pacific Governor that I'm not a fan of. The Pacific's unemployment rate is below the national average as his made-up approval rating is very good.

Averroes, I said this when you considered me for GM as well (and appointed me), and when I was GM under Duke. You know exactly what you're getting with me. I write dystopian storylines. There will be ups and downs --but the downs will be well thought out and realistic. Not aliens.

I won't bend officeholders to my will, but I will make consequences for actions or inactions. This bring me into my next point.

I do think that there is no game without a Game Moderator. Without a storyline, and without consequences for actions, we really are just a bunch of people posting fake bills on a forum. You can try to color this in or spin it however you like (or hide reality) -- but at the end of the day without someone, ie the Game Moderator, pushing the storyline of the game and giving reactions for player's actions, then its a circlejerk.

The Game Moderator has the ability to both sit back and dominate the discussion when appropriate. Just because he has the ability to do one, does not mean it will be like that all the time. A good Game Moderator will be able to juggle both.

Your interpretation of what Atlasia is wrong, in my opinion. Without consequences, we really are just passing words with no effect.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »

I only swore in this morning, and I wasn't about to vote against your confirmation without explaining why. There's ample time remaining for you to assuage my doubts, if you're so inclined.

You know you could have asked me a question without being sworn in. It's not like I would blow you off Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »

Aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

I liked SirNick's stories when he was my GM for a week, and I was sad he left so quickly.

I support him and hope he will stick with the job. Stories are good for the game. Hell, aliens invaded Atlasia when I was President and I didn't fire Adam or cry foul. I'm confident that Cranberry has a big enough sack to deal with whatever is thrown at him. You don't become President because it's easy. You do it because it's hard and you know a lot of people won't like you. Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

AYE

I respect Nix's concerns but right now, I hardly think the GM having too much influence in the game is an issue of concern, if anything it is the opposite.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

Very well, we have a majority in favor of SirNick, and the nominee is confirmed.

Aye (6)Sad PPT Lumine, Senator Bore, Senator Cynic, Senator TNF, Senator JCL and Senator Yankee.
Nay (1)Sad Senator Nix.
Abstained (0)Sad

Not Voting (3)Sad Senator Deus, Senator Cassius and Senator Polnut.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies