Deaniacs take control, Where would we be now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:22:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Deaniacs take control, Where would we be now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Deaniacs take control, Where would we be now?  (Read 4608 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2004, 11:57:32 AM »

I wonder who he would have picked. My guess is Gephardt, since he'd need some experience and respectability on the ticket.

Agreed. I was predicting a Dean-Gephardt ticket once it looked like Dean was going to easily take the nomination. Things have really changed. Try to think back to early January when if you told anyone Dean wouldn't be the nominee and Kerry would be, you'd be laughed at by almost everyone.

Dean and Gephardt hated each other, no way would a Dean-Gephardt ticket ever have been possible, Edwards would be a strong possibility but in the end I think that Bob Graham with his moderate record his long career as a Governor and Senator, his opposition to the war in Iraq and his roots in the south would have been Dean’s running mate with many leading Dems such as Evan Bayh, John Breaux, Tom Vilsack, Ed Rendell etc… all trying to keep a modest distance from the new nominee, that said had Dean emerged as the front runner after Iowa and NH I think that either Edwards or Clark would have done well enough to drag out the nomination process by winning many moderate southern states and such a long campaign would have left Dean pretty battered… that said most polls would have had Bush will a modest (3-5 points) lead over Dean thanks to public unease over Iraq, if Iraq was to settle down that eventually becomes a 4-8 point lead for Bush, who has already won over many moderate Democrats scarred by Dean.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2004, 07:06:18 PM »

Fritz Hollings of South Carolina or something.

I don't think he'd run with an 80 year old
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2004, 08:05:59 PM »

Bush will win just as big as he would have with Howard Dean. Dean would just be a lot more entertaining.

But Dean would down right now. I dunno how much, but not that much less than Kerry.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2004, 12:06:42 PM »

Dean would have been a lot more int eh voters faces instead of the low key approach Kerry took after winning the nomination.  His tendency to get carried away emotionally and his embracing of moderate-left policies would turn off center voters a bit.  He would likely have headed into his own convention down a few points, but definately competitive.

His VP would be either Edwards or Hillary.  Edwards brings a play at a southern strategy.  Hillary brings Clinton on board 100%, which gives a shot in some southern states as well.  I guess Hillary.

The convention would be a disaster.  Kerry kept it from becoming one by keeping a tight leash on the speakers.  Dean would never do that.  If no one stopped him he might have MoveOn.org reps speak at the convention too.  

Gore and Kennedy go off on anti-Bush rants that play well to the democratic base, but turn off the center.  Dean follows suit and gives a similar speech.

Post convention Dean's numbers collapse, but his remaining support is VERY firm.  Bush would run a tight convention (as we are likely to see) and pick up the disenfranchised center and the election would be over.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2004, 12:13:20 PM »

His VP would be either Edwards or Hillary.  

I stopped reading when I got here.

Even if Dean was stupid enough to offer Hillary the VP slot, she wouldn't accept as she's already said a million times she never would. Plus even if she wouldn't be a total disaster for the ticket, she would never be added any way because of Pataki.

I don't see how difficult it is to understand that Hillary was never seriously considered for VP.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2004, 01:39:14 PM »

I still think it would be as close. Dean would appeal to some voters who Kerry doesn't, and vice versa. Dean would be weaker on national security, but probably stronger in terms of being a decisive leader (having been a governor, he would have executive experience that Kerry lacks). Dean would also be able to pound away on issues like health care and the deficit, pointing to the success he had in Vermont. I still think it would be a tight race.

Dean would have moderated his image and moved back toward the center. He wasn't as liberal as governor as he was making himself out to be in his campaign. If he went back to that, he would have had a decent chance. He wouldn't have run a left-wing campaign in the general election.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 04:14:36 PM »

Even if Dean was stupid enough to offer Hillary the VP slot, she wouldn't accept as she's already said a million times she never would. Plus even if she wouldn't be a total disaster for the ticket, she would never be added any way because of Pataki.

I don't see how difficult it is to understand that Hillary was never seriously considered for VP.

By John Kerry. Is Howard Dean John Kerry?

Different people would consider different Veeps.  If Dean had carried his momentum he would have a lot of pull in the party.  With his legion of Deaniacs he may be able to push a draft Hillary movement and convince her to join in.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2004, 05:22:43 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2004, 05:23:48 PM by Better Red Than Dead »

By John Kerry. Is Howard Dean John Kerry?

Different people would consider different Veeps.  If Dean had carried his momentum he would have a lot of pull in the party.  With his legion of Deaniacs he may be able to push a draft Hillary movement and convince her to join in.

But why would he want to if Kerry wouldn't? There's nothing about him that would make him more likely, in fact Kerry would be more likely since he's more of a party establishment candidate, Dean was the maverick outsider. He never once even hinted in his campaign he wanted her as VP so there's no reason to believe there would've been some "Draft Hillary" movement. And of course, there's still the Pataki issue. The Democrats weren't going to sacrifice another Senate seat for a VP who doesn't even bring any advantages to the ticket anyway.

Dean basically hinted that Clark would've been his top VP pick during his campaign, so I'd bet on it being Clark.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 06:15:22 PM »

OMG, this is a shame.

Why do people always think Dean is a raving lunatic?

I respected him before the scream and now I respect him EVEN MORE.

Voters really need to broaden their horizons.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »

Four years later, what do you guys think about this?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »

Four years later, what do you guys think about this?

Dean has been vindicated.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

Dean would probably do just as bad.  His weak DNC leadership probably makes his odds even less likely.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies