Atlasians Against Politically-Motivated Expulsions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:17:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians Against Politically-Motivated Expulsions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasians Against Politically-Motivated Expulsions  (Read 1268 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »

The undersigned represent those opposed to the attempt by certain elements within the Senate to expel Senator Deus from the Senate on the grounds that he has advocated a position (the secession of the Northeast from the Republic) that is unpopular with the Senate and with the public at-large. We believe that the only people who should remove an active, committed Senator from office are the voters by means of democratic election.

x TNF
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »

X President Lief

And I think the entirety of the VPRFPS stands behind me on this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »

x Maxwell
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »

Normally I don't sign petitions in the Tyrant Lands, but x Pres. Alfred and the Ganonsyonian Senate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »

X shua
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »

xSirNick

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »

x Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »

X Spiral
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

Unless someone can provide me with clear evidence of committing treason as opposed to just advocated, I am going to tend to view it as a free speech matter and thus a matter for the voters in December.

Thankfully we have strict limitations on the expulsion procedure.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »

x Sawx

I second the sentiments of NC Yankee. As there is no proof, I must oppose Deus's expulsion from the Senate.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »

X bore

I think deus is wrong, but I'm fairly certain he never engaged in treason. Which leaves us with a free speech issue.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

My support for his expulsion isn't politically motivated. I feel very strongly that Deus engaged in treasonous activity and that kind of activity needs to have consequences.

I'm not even concerned with political motivation. My feelings on that sort of activity would apply to anyone holding office in the left, right or center.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »

x poirot
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 05:19:52 AM »

My support for his expulsion isn't politically motivated. I feel very strongly that Deus engaged in treasonous activity and that kind of activity needs to have consequences.

I'm not even concerned with political motivation. My feelings on that sort of activity would apply to anyone holding office in the left, right or center.

I get that, and sympathise with you.

If I thought deus had done a snowstalker then I would be first in line to expel him, but I think in his thread he was very careful not to do anything that can be called treason. Which I think is the crux of the matter- we both agree that treason should be punished, we just don't agree on the facts of this case.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:12 AM »

x Adam Griffin

Lumine has gone too far. It was bad enough when he led the Senate in blocking the appointment of a VP for a freaking month, and now this?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »

Well, to be perfectly honest I filed a motion and proposed the matter before the Senate because I believed there were treasonous actions based on the narrative of the SoIA and the consecuences of the pro-secession speeches, like Cynic and other officeholders, not because I seek to expulse a Senator on purely political grounds. If like Yankee, Bore and others have said these were not treasonous actions then he can't be expulsed because it would indeed be a matter of freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't even debate it, at least not in the middle of a crisis.  

Regarding the gone too far comment, I refer Griffin to my earlier speech on the subject, the fact that the PPT overreach lawsuit was what consumed most of that month, and the eventual outcome of said VP nomination, so please forgive me if I decide to dismiss said claim for the time being.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 06:49:16 AM »

Well, to be perfectly honest I filed a motion and proposed the matter before the Senate because I believed there were treasonous actions based on the narrative of the SoIA and the consecuences of the pro-secession speeches, like Cynic and other officeholders, not because I seek to expulse a Senator on purely political grounds. If like Yankee, Bore and others have said these were not treasonous actions then he can't be expulsed because it would indeed be a matter of freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't even debate it, at least not in the middle of a crisis.  

Regarding the gone too far comment, I refer Griffin to my earlier speech on the subject, the fact that the PPT overreach lawsuit was what consumed most of that month, and the eventual outcome of said VP nomination, so please forgive me if I decide to dismiss said claim for the time being.

You certainly find yourself engaging in actions "not on purely political grounds" quite often.

Also, the PPT debacle has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you led the charge to block the nomination; the nomination hearing should have been based on the merits and the qualifications of the nominee (just like they almost always were until very recently). The need for a PPT to break any votes in the case outlined above would have only been needed assuming the entire process had been turned into a gridlock, partisan episode of grandstanding during a time with a divided Senate. The Senate was perfectly capable of conducting many other items of business during that time (and as you inferred, was capable of eventually approving the nomination after all that grandstanding and with an even less-favorable composition), so let's not give excuses to the effect of "we could only do one thing at a time" because of said situation.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »

X Thomas Jefferson
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

X MadmanMotley
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »

personally, i don't think someone who advocated destroying atlasia should be involved in running it. and that has nothing to do with politics.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »

Griffin crying about partisan politics is Griffin playing partisan politics.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

x Marokai

Secession is something I am one of the farthest individuals from supporting around here, but anyone, even Senators, should be able to believe in it if that's what they choose to, because come on.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

I thought you and I had a common fondness for the Radical Republicans and shared their view on what should be done with secessionist treasonists, no?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 01:48:31 AM »

x peeperkon.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »

I thought you and I had a common fondness for the Radical Republicans and shared their view on what should be done with secessionist treasonists, no?

Context matters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies