What do you make of Leon Panetta's comments on Barack Obama's leadership?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:13:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What do you make of Leon Panetta's comments on Barack Obama's leadership?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What do you make of Leon Panetta's comments on Barack Obama's leadership?  (Read 2699 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »

What is your opinion on former Defense Secretary's new book in which he attacks President Obama on ISIS and his leadership? Is Panetta being disloyal?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/06/leon-panetta-obama-has-lost-his-way-created-vacuum-for-islamic-state/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/leon-panetta-criticizes-obama-for-iraq-withdrawal/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:02:43 AM »

Panetta thought that the Iraq war had something to do with 9/11. His criticizing Obama makes Obama look better.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2014, 09:07:23 AM by anvi »

So, Leon Panetta now thinks that a "30 years war" is something to be modeled?  Well, in terms of his criticisms, there is freedom of speech in the U.S., so he can say and write whatever he wants whenever he wants--doesn't bother me.  I'd fully agree that Obama has "lost his way" on this matter--but in the opposite direction that Penetta indicates.  

Is there any scale that can accurately measure the terrible learning curve the U.S. political leadership has?  We go to Iraq to remove someone we think a terrible leader and a threat (even though he wasn't threatening us at the time); we spend about a decade there with relatively penny ante forces, who we put in maximum danger there by not sending enough support, and go broke in the process to boot; we lend support to the wrong political factions who suppresses large portions of the populous when they govern; by the time we leave, we end up with a worse bunch threatening to take over the place than the guy we went to get rid of.  And the solution now, supposedly, is to do more penny ante bombing and throw in our lot with factions that, both short-term and long-term, both hate one another and have dubious motives?  At almost every single step in this incredibly sad process, we made things worse--and now we're going to poison the present and future some more?  Panetta wants leadership?  Ok, how about this?  In this kind of situation, if you go in, you go in with everything.  If you're not willing to do that, then stay out of it and force the players in the region to step up and sort it out.  I'm very sorry that there are lots of innocent victims in the region who are vulnerable to the huge variety of beasts running amok there, I really am.  But going about things in the way we have been is only making it worse.  Real leaders don't make things worse just so they can look tough--while they're losing.
KCDem

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »

Typical Republican spin.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

HA HA HA!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »

$$$
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »

The Iraq War raised the bar on the "burden of proof" necessary for military action.

We might have gotten involved in World War II earlier if not for Woodrow Wilson's decision to get involved in World War I. Who knows how many lives might have been saved from the Nazis?

We might have sought to contain ISIS earlier if not for George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq in 2003. Who knows how many fewer people may have died?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »

Panetta is the typical Republican kind of "Democrat".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »

I tell you how my boy Barry's handling it:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:14:19 AM »

Accurate comments. The guy has been a White House Chief of Staff, CIA Director and Sec Def.  He doesn't need to promote himself or have other motives.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »

Accurate comments. The guy has been a White House Chief of Staff, CIA Director and Sec Def.  He doesn't need to promote himself or have other motives.

To sell books, Grumps. To sell books...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »

Yawn. Looks like Panetta wants to follow the gravy train that Gates paved and sell some books. Though it's partly Obama's fault for keeping such obvious quislings on his team.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »

It's nice to have people like Panetta legitimize my existing opinion, but he doesn't really change anything. It's very clear Obama isn't the best decision-maker when it comes to foreign policy.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »

It's nice to have people like Panetta legitimize my existing opinion, but he doesn't really change anything. It's very clear Obama isn't the best decision-maker when it comes to foreign policy.

Indeed. So much better than Mr. "Let's destroy our relation with US because they don't approve Keystone".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »

yeah like when he killed Osama bin Laden, horrible decision making.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »

Oh he'd sell plenty without, but he's such a staunch Dem, blasting Obama solely to sell books makes no sense.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »

Oh he'd sell plenty without, but he's such a staunch Dem, blasting Obama solely to sell books makes no sense.

I'm not sure about that. It certainly starts a conversation that I'm not sure would occur otherwise. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems like some memoirs go unnoticed if they don't include "juicy" tidbits like these.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »

Accurate comments. The guy has been a White House Chief of Staff, CIA Director and Sec Def.  He doesn't need to promote himself or have other motives.

I'm not sure about that. It certainly starts a conversation that I'm not sure would occur otherwise. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems like some memoirs go unnoticed if they don't include "juicy" tidbits like these.

In all reality, Panetta is a Clintonista......so maybe a few jabs were necessary.  Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:45 AM »

Accurate comments. The guy has been a White House Chief of Staff, CIA Director and Sec Def.  He doesn't need to promote himself or have other motives.

In all reality, Panetta is a Clintonista......so maybe a few jabs were necessary.  Tongue

We really need to take down the entire Clinton wing of the party.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »

It might be stronger than the Obama wing.  Bill hasn't stopped campaigning since he left office.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »

Not the best, but certainly better than the numbskull before him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

Well considering half the party supported Hillary in 2008 and like 70% of the party supports her now, you'll be awfully lonely if that succeeds.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 12:11:11 AM »

Well considering half the party supported Hillary in 2008 and like 70% of the party supports her now, you'll be awfully lonely if that succeeds.

Most of that 70% has no idea how right-wing she is.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »

LOL

Hillary might not be as liberal as you like, but calling her "right wing" is ludicrous.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »

LOL

Hillary might not be as liberal as you like, but calling her "right wing" is ludicrous.

Are you going to tell me that her husband wasn't totally Republican-lite as President?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies