Opinion of Henry VIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:19:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Henry VIII
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Henry VIII
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of Henry VIII  (Read 1715 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »

Well?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »

Certainly he was a Fat Fyck.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

An asshole of history™
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

As loathe as I am to speak ill of fellow fatties, he was a real asshole.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 07:35:39 PM »

Should've made the acquaintance of the Spanish Inquisition.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:36 PM »

Clearly terrible
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 03:44:10 PM by CrabCake »

Even aside from his monstrous treatment of his wives and children, the man was a failure of a monarch. He inherited a kingdom in relatively good shape, and left it divided, bankrupt and without a clear successor. Nearly all his foreign jaunts were utterly useless and with little financial gain, he tended to swap his favoured court members rashly, he half-arsed the "English Reformation" leaving numerous problems for his successors, and managed to spark an uprising in the North by destroying the only support for the impoverished (the religious houses) with no replacement. The only positive legacies of his rule were all largely independent of the king, and largely down to Thomas Cromwell and Wolsey.

He was certainly a man of some talent, but he was also petty, paranoid and ultimately a dismal failure, who is only really remembered as a grotesquely comedic figure. I would like to say he is one of the worst English monarchs, but sadly England is spoilt for choice as far as lousy monarchs are concerned.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »

Heinous. HP.

Every bit as bad as John (1199-1216) and Mary I (1553-1558).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:58 PM »

HP, like the vast majority of middle ages monarchs.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »

HP, like the vast majority of middle ages monarchs.

Not really, more of a renaissance man. Wink
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

Even aside from his monstrous treatment of his wives and children, the man was a failure of a monarch. He inherited a kingdom in relatively good shape, and left it divided, bankrupt and without a clear successor. Nearly all his foreign jaunts were utterly useless and with little financial gain, he tended to swap his favoured court members rashly, he half-arsed the "English Reformation" leaving numerous problems for his successors, and managed to spark an uprising in the North by destroying the only support for the impoverished (the religious houses) with no replacement. The only positive legacies of his rule were all largely independent of the king, and largely down to Thomas Cromwell and Wolsey.

He was certainly a man of some talent, but he was also petty, paranoid and ultimately a dismal failure, who is only really remembered as a grotesquely comedic figure. I would like to say he is one of the worst English monarchs, but sadly England is spoilt for choice as far as lousy monarchs are concerned.

Good post Cc. It is sad that popular history forgets those effective monarchs that don't have a dramatic and intrigue laden life story.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »

FF. A fascinating historical figure, and The Tudors is one of my all-time favorite shows.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »

HP (Catholic)
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »

HP.

Nonetheless, he is by far one of the most interesting figures in European History.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »

Is it any coincidence that the man turned into a monster when he abandoned the Catholic Church?  I wonder how differently his reign (and England's by extension) have turned out if the Pope had agreed to annul his marriage to Queen Catherine...  
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »

Is it any coincidence that the man turned into a monster when he abandoned the Catholic Church?  I wonder how differently his reign (and England's by extension) have turned out if the Pope had agreed to annul his marriage to Queen Catherine...  

He was a very strong Catholic prior to the break with the Church (and he would adhered to many traditional Catholic principles throughout his life). Had his marriage been annulled, England would've likely remained Catholic, and by extension Scotland as well. Mary and Catherine would've had probably just a terrible treatment however, with Mary being less devout (one core reason for her religious devotion was the fact the Church said she was legitimate. Had she been deemed a bastard by the Pope, and seen Luther in support of her mother, which he surprisingly was, perhaps she would look at Protestantism)

I'm not sure how Anne Boleyn would feel about England remaining Catholic, although her influence in her husband's affairs would likely be much smaller in this scenario, with Henry likely remaining a strict and stubborn Catholic.

It would've been interesting to say the least, especially if Anne only had one daughter (which some historians think the couple having one surviving child was inevitable due to some disorder Henry had due to genetic inheritance from Jacquetta of Luxembourg due to her being his direct maternal ancestor).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:16 AM »

Good post Cc. It is sad that popular history forgets those effective monarchs that don't have a dramatic and intrigue laden life story.

In a way, I consider Henry's latter day legacy quite amusing. He was an educated and artistic Renaissance man, brought up under a humanist education, a polyglot, an intellectual and (in his prime) a physically imposing, handsome figure; and how do we think of him now? Why, that oafish fat man with the wives you learn about in primary school right!

I think the Tudors are such an interesting dynasty to study, simply because I have so much ... cartoonish notions of them from endless primary school history lessons. It's weird viewing them through the prism of reality.

NB Before I am misconstrued in my first statement, I don't really think either Cromwell or Wolsey were good people, but they were competent.

He probably would have broken relations anyway, such was the tremendous spoils of the Church. Wolsey would have lost favour some other way, and a Cromwell and More would always be lurking in the background. I don't buy the idea that Henry suddenly changed personalities. I just think his numerous flaws and neuroses festered over time and burst out over time in great fits of temper.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:56:44 AM »

Clearly awful but I appreciate his musical contributions.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:19 AM »

Amazing potential .... ruined
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »

You mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFDeDh430Q
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

You aren't referring to Greensleeves are you? The style of composition its written in didn't exist in England until after his death, and there's about an equal chance that he wrote it as he did Rites of Spring's For Want Of.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »

You aren't referring to Greensleeves are you? The style of composition its written in didn't exist in England until after his death, and there's about an equal chance that he wrote it as he did Rites of Spring's For Want Of.

That's a bit hyperbolic, but no, I wasn't referring to Greensleeves except perhaps in the general sense of the impact of Henry VIII's patronage of the musical arts for his own time and later.  He was actually a musician and a composer of a number of songs, the most famous probably being 'Pastime With Good Company'.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

That's a bit hyperbolic, but no, I wasn't referring to Greensleeves except perhaps in the general sense of the impact of Henry VIII's patronage of the musical arts for his own time and later.  He was actually a musician and a composer of a number of songs, the most famous probably being 'Pastime With Good Company'.

I was hoping you were referring to Rick Wakeman's "The Six Wives of Henry VIII".
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

Without him, we'd never have had...

Her...

or this...
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »

Certainly a huge HP, but he is one of the more interesting figures of the time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies