Cousin marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:19:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Cousin marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cousin marriage  (Read 2772 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

i don't support eugenics, so...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

I did. While the second one is more consistent, there is of course this, which is not really arguable:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It wasn't the best example, but I was hunting a .edu.

I find it most interesting that there is very likely an evolutionary impulse against inbreeding, which would make a lot of sense.

In any event, no one is going to convince me at this point in time that inbreeding is not harmful, so we probably just won't agree on it. Tongue

OK ... so even if you are shown direct scientific evidence you won't change your mind, because you really want not to believe it; to the extent you'll hunt down evidence and shoehorn it to your beliefs? Fair enough, I guess; but pretty much all the evidence suggests that inbreeding is only really dangerous to gene pools if it is widespread and repeated. Even if evolution "doesn't like" organisms inbreeding, nature considers it better than extinction so early humans almost constantly inbred (we are all inbred to some extent, your parents family trees almost certainly cross multiple times).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »

I find it most interesting that there is very likely an evolutionary impulse against inbreeding
must not be a very strong one.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »

I can't say it's something I'd personally approve of, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal. The procreation arguments for marriage have consistently failed across many courts. It doesn't even satisfy the simple rational basis test. Procreation is merely incidental to marriage. It is not a basis through which to restrict marriage rights. For those that make the argument against this for procreation reasons, how would you feel about same-sex cousin marriages? Should same-sex cousin marriages be legal and opposite-sex cousin marriages be illegal?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies