FiveThirtyEight on South Dakota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:24:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FiveThirtyEight on South Dakota
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FiveThirtyEight on South Dakota  (Read 525 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/senate-update-whats-the-matter-with-south-dakota/

"Yet another complication is that Pressler has refused to say who he’ll caucus with. Our ideology ratings imply that he’s equivalent to a moderate Republican — just as they imply that Orman is equivalent to a moderate Democrat. So the model assumes there’s a 75 percent chance Pressler would caucus with Republicans if he wins, just as it assumes there’s a 75 percent chance Orman would caucus with Democrats. But Pressler endorsed Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012 and has at times implied that he’d refuse to caucus with anybody.

Rounds remains the favorite. It’s not clear that Pressler has enough money to run a substantial number of advertisements in the closing days of the campaign — or to finance a voter turnout operation. And for the time being, the SurveyUSA poll is mostly alone."
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »

I like Pressler, and I have a feeling he will caucus with the GOP if Rounds eats a baby and he wins.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »

I like Pressler, and I have a feeling he will caucus with the GOP if Rounds eats a baby and he wins.

Why do you think that Pressler would caucus with the Republicans?

Plus he enthusiastically endorsed Obama both times.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »

And for the time being, the SurveyUSA poll is mostly alone."

Yes, but the trend for Rounds has not been good. He's gone from 44% to 39% to 35% over the last three SUSA polls.

He's probably near (or at) his floor, but yeah, I would like to see another poll confirm this.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »

Why do you think that Pressler would caucus with the Republicans?

For one, the deeply conservative people of SD would the ones who elected him, so in that sense he owes them. Second, he still seems right-of-center, despite a few moderate positions. If he didn't differ, he wouldn't be an Indie.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »

Despite his conservative leanings, he is fruends with King, they will decide control of senate.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »

Larry Pressler on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/up/watch/could-south-dakota-upend-fight-for-senate--329028675664
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »

Is it too late for Weiland to pull a Chad Taylor?  Or if he can't pull his name off the ballot, just end his campaign and endorse Pressler anyway?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2014, 02:02:59 AM by Eraserhead »

Is it too late for Weiland to pull a Chad Taylor?  Or if he can't pull his name off the ballot, just end his campaign and endorse Pressler anyway?

It's too late for him to get off of the ballot. He could of course end his campaign and endorse Pressler but I don't think there's really much chance of that happening.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 05:24:19 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2014, 05:25:53 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Despite his conservative leanings, he is fruends with King, they will decide control of senate.

Things would get kind of weird if there was 49 Republicans, 47 Democrats, Sanders, King, Orman, and Pressler. I'm thinking that results in a Democratic majority, but I'm not certain. 50 Republicans and 46 Democrats seems like a sure Republican majority.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies