What are the saftey Nazis going after this week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:33:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What are the saftey Nazis going after this week?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the saftey Nazis going after this week?  (Read 1168 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »

Swings!  The playground killer.  The most dangerous thing (left) at school.

My dog would approve as he hates it when me and the boy hit the swings at the park.  Bites my feet.  Very weird*.

*I've googled it, it's actually not that weird, but it is a pain the ass....and feet.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »

RIP children of Richmond, WA
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »

Are you on a mailing list of inconsequential things to be outraged about or what?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

Are you on a mailing list of inconsequential things to be outraged about or what?

WEST COAST PC LIBRULS AT IT AGAIN!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »

All liberals = nazis. Makes sense.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »

All liberals = nazis. Makes sense.
yes, that's exactly what I said....Roll Eyes

WEST COAST PC LIBRULS AT IT AGAIN!
So you agree with this idiocy?  Not surprising at all.

...and mailing lists...what is this, 1996?  Aren't you still in diapers?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

My son loves swings.  The elementary school he attends doesn't have swings but there's a park a few blocks from my crib with the swings.

My son's first elementary school had lots of swings.  Get this:  The safety people at that school decided right before he started kindergarten that the grass was too dangerous, so they put out wood chips.  Then, when school started, a boy in my son's kindergarten class fell and got one eye poked out--I think they managed to save they eye, but he now has to wear glasses with an extremely thick lens on that side--so they decided that the wood chips were unsafe and the following summer they removed the wood chips and put some foamy stuff that sprays on concrete.  That fall, when my son was in the first grade he fell from the monkey bars broke his left arm and had to wear a cast for seven weeks.  I'm sure I posted about that a few years ago.  Anyway, the school decided that the foamy stuff on concrete was not safe, so the following year that school again tore up the playground and tried something else.  I don't know what is there now because we moved in Pennsylvania and he goes to another school.  One without foamy stuff, wood chips, or swings.  (They have several inch-thick layer some low-density, porous stones covering the playground, which features monkey bars, some four-man see-saws mounted on springs, and lots of spinning equipment, but no proper swings.)

I never cared for the wood chips, but I'm okay with either grass, porous pebbles, or the foamy stuff.  Also, I'm okay with swings, merry-go-rounds, see-saws, monkey bars, and all the rest.  From time to time a child will break an arm but I don't think that's any reason to remove the playground.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »

This isn't the fault of liberals, it's to avoid lawsuits; and I imagine one of the reasons lawsuits are so high is because medical bills are high for this sort of situation.

Incidentally, why are they bitching about concrete floors of playgrounds being removed, as if concrete flooring is part of the essential childhood experience?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »

I guess they're not really bitching about concrete flooring.  The first sentence is cut off but she was saying "...and rubber surface; the cement was just too dangerous..."  You don't actually see the cement.  It's some bouncy foamy stuff on top.  It's not really rubber.  It's probably a polystyrene butadiene composite with polyurethane binder.  I can assure you that bones also break on that "rubber" surface as well.  I suppose that this is what they were saying.  I actually prefer they bouncy stuff (which sometimes yields broken arms) to the eye-poking woodchips, which invariably end up being piled up on the slides and used as projectiles by sensory-deprived children during recess. 

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

The word is spelled safety, not saftey.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »

Where are the spelling Nazis going after this week?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »

loldead0
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »

Do we have any Atlasians who are so deranged as to want the banning of swings? I bet we have one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »

Do we have any Atlasians who are so deranged as to want the banning of swings? I bet we have one.

That's not the school board which is deranged. It's the laywers and the judges. If some kid get injuried while using the swing, they will have to pay hundreds of thousantds or perhaps even millions in damage.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »

The funny thing is this is seen as an encroachment of "big government", when it seems to be a reflection of the "everything should be solved by courts" that libertarians love.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »

The funny thing is this is seen as an encroachment of "big government", when it seems to be a reflection of the "everything should be solved by courts" that libertarians love.
We do? I'm pretty sure most libertarians don't think you should be able to sue at all if your kid gets hurt on the swings.

Also, no one has blamed this on liberals or big government. The only people in this thread who have associated this with those things are themselves left-liberals who are strawmanning or preemptively attempting to deflect criticism.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »

We do? I'm pretty sure most libertarians don't think you should be able to sue at all if your kid gets hurt on the swings.

Also, no one has blamed this on liberals or big government. The only people in this thread who have associated this with those things are themselves left-liberals who are strawmanning or preemptively attempting to deflect criticism.

I'm pretty sure that's the standard response if you bring up pollution...

I wasn't talking about this thread, but people tend to blame this thing on local councils who are just trying to prevent a financial liability.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »

I usually appreciate your posts, but I'd really prefer if you didn't make petty Nazi analogies like this.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

First they came for the swings, and I did not speak out...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »

That's not the school board which is deranged. It's the laywers and the judges. If some kid get injuried while using the swing, they will have to pay hundreds of thousantds or perhaps even millions in damage.
You can get hurt doing anything. Every single action has an underlying danger. How can a child falling off a swing be able to win damages when the only parties involved are the child and the swing, an inanimate object. It's not like a person developing cancer through illegal chemical dumping-IE the actions of another individual. Can we sue over lightening strikes now?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »

You can get hurt doing anything. Every single action has an underlying danger. How can a child falling off a swing be able to win damages when the only parties involved are the child and the swing, an inanimate object. It's not like a person developing cancer through illegal chemical dumping-IE the actions of another individual. Can we sue over lightening strikes now?

One can argue than it's the fault of the school board. You shouldn't get injuried while using a swing. Either it's the kid who did an error (he did something he wasn't supposed to do), either it's the school board (the swing was unsafe, the surroundings were unsafe...).

And, even if they are wrongly sued, they still have to pay a lawyer and the like. Ever heard of "compensation culture" and "tort reform"?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »

In what way would libertarian sentiments be espoused by supporting collective abuse of the individual via the court system? In this instance, it's collective beat down of the collective, but I don't see any libertarian virtue.

The pro-judiciary arguments, which pertain the theoretical civil cases between people with differing economic interests, have long been replaced by mediation and binding arbitration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies