Anti-Smoking Ads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:44:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anti-Smoking Ads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How often do you get these?
Never

Rarely

Sometimes

Often

All the time

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Anti-Smoking Ads  (Read 1662 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:13:02 AM »

All the time. They're super annoying and disgusting too. I don't smoke and never ever plan to, yet these things pop up as 15-30 second ads that I have to watch every time I want to watch a video.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »

I see them from time to time.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »

Yea, all the time, using youtube on the go.  Here's a message to the anti-smoking agenda. 

SHUT.  THE.  [INKS].  UP. 

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »

they often make me want to light up
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »

Never, because I live in Austria (which is one of the most pro-smoking countries on the planet, at least in terms of consumption).

And because the restaurant lobby is extremely strong here, which means hardly any coherent smoking bans are in place.

In fact, if you go to a club or restaurant, in 90% of the time you will be in a smoke-filled room and if you get out after a few hours your clothes will stink for a couple days.

I'm one of these people who really don't mind it though, for example I cannot imaging a billiard pub (where we play sometimes) without being smoke-filled.

You see a couple anti-smoking ads in newspapers though from time to time by the Ministry of Health.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »

Seriously.  I only smoke occasionally, but nothing sparks a tobacco craving like inane crap from nanny-state doucheholes like TRUTH. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »

Never, because I live in Austria (which is one of the most pro-smoking countries on the planet, at least in terms of consumption).

And because the restaurant lobby is extremely strong here, which means hardly any coherent smoking bans are in place.

In fact, if you go to a club or restaurant, in 90% of the time you will be in a smoke-filled room and if you get out after a few hours your clothes will stink for a couple days.

I'm one of these people who really don't mind it though, for example I cannot imaging a billiard pub (where we play sometimes) without being smoke-filled.

You see a couple anti-smoking ads in newspapers though from time to time by the Ministry of Health.

Especially the women here smoke like sh*t:

The orange country in the center of Europe.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »

I think they're good.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

Especially the women here smoke like sh*t:

The orange country in the center of Europe.

So we're the country with the highest percentage of smokers? Good job Austria Tongue

But yeah, as you summed up perfectly; there are virtually no anti-smoke ads...

I also really don't mind people smoking, and couldn't really imagine a locality without people smoking, at least in the evening...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »

Seriously.  I only smoke occasionally, but nothing sparks a tobacco craving like inane crap from nanny-state doucheholes like TRUTH. 

Two brave souls, right here.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »

you're all so cool
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »

...all ads are terrible (literally normal).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »

Oakvale, smoking makes you fat :/
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »

Wait, you guys still get ads on the internet?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

All the time and I can't stand them. They do the opposite of what they are intended to do. I have watched my grandfather die from smoking, and I am watching my grandma's health begin to decline because of smoking too. Yet I am now a smoker. Watching the real consequences of smoking is a much better lesson (at least I now worry about my smoking and at least think about quitting) than watching the latest horrible ad from Tobacco Free Florida.

The worst ads are the ones with the teenagers running through the streets putting up posters that say "let’s be the generation that ends smoking." I can’t find a person my age, including myself, who actually thinks smoking is cool (and again, I am a smoker). We already are the generation that is ending smoking. More kids my age smoke marijuana than they do cigarettes, and once they get their legal pot, I guarantee you that the same additives and chemicals will find its way into marijuana products as well. And I know for a fact that most of the people I know who "like" Tobacco Free Florida's Facebook page also smoke pot. Why it should be legal for them to get high and kill their brain cells and illegal for me to take the edge off with a cancer stick makes absolutely no sense.

Not as cool as you guys and your constant drive to be the most contrarian cynics though Roll Eyes.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »

Seriously.  I only smoke occasionally, but nothing sparks a tobacco craving like inane crap from nanny-state doucheholes like TRUTH.  

Not as cool as you guys and your constant drive to be the most contrarian cynics though Roll Eyes.

?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

Wait, you guys still get ads on the internet?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »

Ugh, there are few things more cringe worthy than contrarian cynic libertarians who think they're sticking it to the man by inhaling carcinogens.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »

Ugh, there are few things more cringe worthy than contrarian cynic libertarians who think they're sticking it to the man by inhaling carcinogens.

Sticking it to the man?  Hardly.  Not the man (besides, I'm a lower-middle class... the man would enjoy watching me inhale cancer), just the "the point of life is to extend it as long as possible" crowd that typically gets sexually excited by anti-smoking ads.  Not to mention how patronizing those people are... literally "reminding" people in 2014 that cigarettes are bad for you.  Go kick rocks you little butthole.  

And mind you, I smoke literally one or two cigarettes a month. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »

I'm puffing right now RIP GRUMPS.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

FA
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »

I have watched my grandfather die from smoking, and I am watching my grandma's health begin to decline because of smoking too. Yet I am now a smoker.

All I can say is you better appreciate how Obamacare caps your health insurance premiums at 1.5x what they would be if you weren't a smoker.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

From an individual standpoint I think the libertarians have somewhat of a point. Statistically, an individual who smokes less than 10 pack-years over his or her lifetime, where a pack-year is defined as a pack a day (20 cigarettes) for a year, increases their chances of getting lung cancer by only a very, very small absolute amount. This is especially true if they quit by age 30; one study I saw even labelled the increased risk in this scenario as insignificant. The main problem by far is those who become addicted heavy smokers and continue to smoke a pack a day or more into middle and old age. These people can increase their chances of getting lung cancer from negligible to 10% or more. That being said, I would say smoking any more than one cigarette a day for a long term period would be inadvisable, given how horrendous lung cancer is as a disease. Even a 1% increased risk is scary.

However, from a societal standpoint, there is nothing wrong with trying to decrease smoking, as even a minor increase in the incidence of lung cancer raises health care costs. And anti-smoking ads are certainly the least intrusive form of social conditioning against smoking. One would think that heavy taxes and outright bans would be considered more objectionable to libertarians.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »

Oakvale is correct, but yes, anti-smoking ads annoy me. They don't make me want to light up though, only the smell of cigarette smoke does.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 12:56:19 AM »

I thought those new anti-smoking adds were kind of clever the first time I saw them, but hulu has basically been playing them every single commercial break recently, and now I find them annoying and unsettling, especially because I (a) don't smoke, and (b) tend to watch tv online during my lunch break. But I guess my complaint really lies more with an inherent flaw in hulu's commercial strategy than with the anti-smoking campaign.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies