Anti-Smoking Ads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:24:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anti-Smoking Ads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How often do you get these?
Never

Rarely

Sometimes

Often

All the time

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Anti-Smoking Ads  (Read 1659 times)
New_Conservative
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »

I rarely see them, there should be more.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »

Sticking it to the man?  Hardly.  Not the man (besides, I'm a lower-middle class... the man would enjoy watching me inhale cancer), just the "the point of life is to extend it as long as possible" crowd that typically gets sexually excited by anti-smoking ads.

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea; anti-smoking arguments have just as much to do with quality of life and health care costs.

Cigarette smokers obviously believe that 50 years with a cig is better quality than 60 years without. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 04:38:25 PM by traininthedistance »

Sticking it to the man?  Hardly.  Not the man (besides, I'm a lower-middle class... the man would enjoy watching me inhale cancer), just the "the point of life is to extend it as long as possible" crowd that typically gets sexually excited by anti-smoking ads.

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea; anti-smoking arguments have just as much to do with quality of life and health care costs.

Cigarette smokers obviously believe that 50 years with a cig is better quality than 60 years without.  

Because the ten years of sheer agony with COPD at the end are TOTALLY WORTH IT.  Such quality of life!

Look, I get that a lot of these PSAs are ham-handed and kinda embarrassing.  Okay.  But if they actually want to make you throw away all your health and money on cigs, then congratulations on being a Rebel Without A Clue.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »

Sticking it to the man?  Hardly.  Not the man (besides, I'm a lower-middle class... the man would enjoy watching me inhale cancer), just the "the point of life is to extend it as long as possible" crowd that typically gets sexually excited by anti-smoking ads.

The problem is that smokers who make it to 65 tend to have very expensive deaths, meaning the rest of Americans have to pay for it. This is one of the best arguments for why cigarette taxes should be significantly increased, if the money goes straight to the Medicare budget.

And to be fair, smokers are hardly the only subset of people with unhealthy habits that this is true for, but they are one of the most preventable.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »

With the most recent tobacco tax increase it is now cheaper to smoke weed than cigarettes.

($300 per ounce of marijuana = 1 month supply for daily use)
($177 for 8 packs of 25 cigarettes each = 2 weeks supply for daily use)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »

There are two things I see these ads doing:

1) enable self-righteous f****ts to feel good about themselves
and
2) give contrarian morons something to rant about.

It's almost like the whole Vegan thing, if you think about it.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »

Given a steep enough discount rate, almost any form of indulgence is justified. That people choose to smoke despite its proven costs only tells us that they either (A) lack information or (B) don't care much about the future. There is no guarantee that they will be satisfied with their decision in five, ten, or twenty years.

They are certainly quite aware of the possibility that they will regret the decision later on.  ^ And of course I believe that any form of self-indulgence is justified; it's quite inherent with that whole "self" bit. 
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

Rarely. I have Adblock on Chrome and I just don't watch much TV.

Now time for me to rationalize that cigarillos aren't as bad as cigarettes. (Though honestly, I'm still probably ing my lungs over.)
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 09:48:42 AM »

The problem is that smokers who make it to 65 tend to have very expensive deaths, meaning the rest of Americans have to pay for it. This is one of the best arguments for why cigarette taxes should be significantly increased, if the money goes straight to the Medicare budget.

And to be fair, smokers are hardly the only subset of people with unhealthy habits that this is true for, but they are one of the most preventable.

I'm for cigarette taxes being increased to cover those costs, too.  But that has nothing to do with stupid, annoying TRUTH ads and the rest of their ilk and all their nanny nanny finger pointing at smokers and the obvious attitude that anti-smoking culture is a bunch of snobs that literally get mad that others don't do as they do. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies