In Defense of Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:32:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In Defense of Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: In Defense of Obama  (Read 3342 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »

We're easing the money supply faster and accumulating deficits faster than the economy can grow, but you're convinced Obama is not interested in the economic veneer of Republican presidents, who managed to grow the economy faster than they eased and borrowed.

You know this about Obama because the S&P 500 finally broke through the 1600 barrier on record investor leveraging?

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2014, 07:15:57 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2014, 07:19:52 AM by Sbane »

There's nothing racist about saying blacks and Latinos vote Democrat. The way you say it is 100% racist, but that's because you're a racist who sees everything through a racist lens.

White urban voters vote the same as black and Hispanic urban voters. The only difference is most whites are suburban/rural while most blacks and hispanics are urban.

Urbanites see the benefits of the government first hand with public transportation, public schools, public libraries, etc. Urban culture is generally aligned with Democratic Party policy.

The thriving progressive urban metropolises of South Texas, West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Southern Colorado, and the Inland Empire. The progressive cosmopolitan powerhouses in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina.

How can you be from New Mexico, and know so little about minority demography?

OMG, you managed to post an even dumber post in this thread. Kudos, brother, kudos.

What is so dumb there?   It isn't true that racial differences in voting can be accounted for by the urban/rural divide.

There is so much dumb there that I am not sure where to start. First of all, non-white people in Louisiana and Mississippi do not vote Republican. Can we at least agree on that? Like, seriously, we need to agree on that or just commit suicide because there would be no point to living otherwise.

Ok, now that we have gotten beyond the deep south (hopefully), we can start discussing Hispanic voting patterns. Rove figured out in 2004 how to get middle class Hispanics to vote for the Republican party. Subsequently, the Republican party went on a mission to figure out how to repel such votes. If you do not understand that, then you do not understand contemporary American politics. You may want to apologize for the Republican party due to your own personal biases, but you need to understand that going nativist repels Hispanic and Asian votes, even if those individuals own their own businesses making more than $500,000 a year. It is more important to an individual that their success be celebrated and appreciated than them having to pay 3% more in taxes. Does that make sense to you? I know you are not a racist, and you may have a hard time understanding this, but many of your Republican friends and family are. That is why minorities, especially those who are doing well economically, don't vote for you guys.

At this point you may be pissed, protesting vehemently that the Democrats are just as racist as Republicans. That is not how things are perceived though, and perception is reality. I will admit that some Republicans have gotten smart about this, but it remains to be seen how successful this is. The Republicans need to push a message of prosperity regardless of race, ethnicity, religion etc. If they are successful at this, they will be successful in the near future. If they are not, then they won't be, as well off minorities vote Democrat because the alternative is a hostile Republican party.

When are Republicans going to be able to spread that message? Do they even care enough to spread that message? Are the Republicans interested in being the party of white people or well off Americans? That is a question the Republicans themselves need to answer. Are they content with being a fascist party or do they want to maintain themselves as a conservative party? That is something for the Republican party to decide for themselves.

I agree with a good portion of what you said, and it's part of why I'm not enthusiastic about the GOP even if I think a lot of the criticism of them on this board goes off the deep end. But I don't see what that has to do with the post you just said was dumb. Seems like you are responding to something else.  Do you really think that King's explanation of why minorities vote Democrat is accurate?  (From what you just posted it seems like you think it is something else) How does it account for the vote of Hispanics in rural West Texas or the vote of rural blacks in Mississippi to say that minorities vote Democrat because they appreciate urban public services?

(The Republican members of my family are no more racist than I am, btw. Maybe a bit less PC unintentionally sometimes. I'm guessing that was just a throw away phrase but that's kind of a silly thing for you to say.)

I agree with King to a certain extent but not totally. Some of the difference in racial voting is due to where people reside, but that is not always true. It is truer of the white population than it is of non-whites in particular.

Income is also very important in determining one's vote. That is why I don't see the Mississippi delta or Hispanics working in Central Valley farms voting Republican. That being said there are Hispanics who live in exurban/rural areas and are well off that started voting Democrat recently. The inland empire of California and the Central Valley are two examples as well as southern Colorado. I was mostly responding to AG's post though where he implies minorities vote Republican in minority heavy Republican areas. That is absolutely ridiculous in the Deep South and in the other places he listed (Hispanic heavy) would only be true in 2004. Since then the Republicans have repelled such votes from Hispanics. Indeed, in 2004 after adjusting for income and where Hispanics live, there would be almost no difference in the white and Hispanic vote. That is what the Republican Party needs to get back to.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

Middle-class Jews, Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, Asian-American, and homosexuals act as if they distrust the Republican Party -- but middle- class white, straight Christians do trust the Republican Party.

It may be that the speculative boom in real estate in the last decade (the "Opportunity Society" of George W. Bush) fleeced Hispanics and then hurt them worst when it imploded. Mexican-Americans buy into single-family housing at lower levels of income than any other ethnic group, and they got burned. They probably fault Republicans where such happened, especially in California and Nevada. Not in Texas, though, even if the Hispanics there are heavily Mexican-American -- Texas has tougher lending laws as the result of the boom and bust of the 1980s.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies