The Ebola Thread (US Domestic)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Ebola Thread (US Domestic)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Ebola Thread (US Domestic)  (Read 8148 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »

Second Dallas Hospital employee(?) has tested positive.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/ebola-outbreak-texas.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&assetType=nyt_now
On the bright side, the initial 48 people being monitored will be clear on Sunday, and none of them have gotten sick yet.

The bigger story here is that the person was on the monitor list and traveled to and from OH. The CDC protocol is supposed to restrict people who are being watched from traveling in "uncontrolled" transport, such as a commercial airliner.

And yet you advocate an extreme government overreaction and ban all contact with three countries.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/ebola-outbreak-texas.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&assetType=nyt_now
On the bright side, the initial 48 people being monitored will be clear on Sunday, and none of them have gotten sick yet.

The bigger story here is that the person was on the monitor list and traveled to and from OH. The CDC protocol is supposed to restrict people who are being watched from traveling in "uncontrolled" transport, such as a commercial airliner.

And yet you advocate an extreme government overreaction and ban all contact with three countries.

Why is it an overreaction? Why take the risk? Why take the risk with a disease like Ebola? Are you that worried about offending African nations? I DONT CARE WHO I OFFEND. I DONT BELIEVE IN OFFENDING! I dont care who they are or what damn student visa their own, if they come from an affected nation, they shouldnt come here. PERIOD. NO GRAY AREA.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »

Why is it an overreaction? Why take the risk? Why take the risk with a disease like Ebola? Are you that worried about offending African nations? I DONT CARE WHO I OFFEND. I DONT BELIEVE IN OFFENDING! I dont care who they are or what damn student visa their own, if they come from an affected nation, they shouldnt come here. PERIOD. NO GRAY AREA.
What does the Reagan quote have to do with that?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »

That listening to the Center for Disease Confusion is pointless. The government cant run a cathouse.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

That listening to the Center for Disease Confusion is pointless. The government cant run a cathouse.

Who do you believe would be closing the borders?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »

Your question is redundant. The government already missed their chance because the liberals in power care about the feelings of non-Americans more than the safety of Americans.

Seal the border, stop the flights. Sorry, but until things cool down that's the way it should be. I don't care who gets offended, or whose feelings get *sniffle sniffle* hurt. We're dealing with life and death.

This used to be such a great country until 50 years ago when we began feeling sorry for everyone. The second we lost our spine everything went to crap.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »

Your question is redundant. The government already missed their chance because the liberals in power care about the feelings of non-Americans more than the safety of Americans.

Seal the border, stop the flights. Sorry, but until things cool down that's the way it should be. I don't care who gets offended, or whose feelings get *sniffle sniffle* hurt. We're dealing with life and death.

Again: do you believe a non-governmental organization is going to provide the border protection you advocate?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »

The problem with Obama is that he doesn't want to play the political game. Would closing the border actually do anything to solve the problem? No. But it's the optics that count here. You gotta make the people feel like something is being done, even if it's all theater.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »

The problem with Obama is that he doesn't want to play the political game. Would closing the border actually do anything to solve the problem? No. But it's the optics that count here. You gotta make the people feel like something is being done, even if it's all theater.

Thank you, Leaf
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »

Thank you, Leaf

So you're willing to admit you care more about the theater than actually doing something worthwhile?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »

Thank you, Leaf

So you're willing to admit you care more about the theater than actually doing something worthwhile?

Appearances do matter.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

Thank you, Leaf

Appearances do matter.

Indeed they do. You, for example, do a very convincing job of making yourself appear even more brainless than you probably are.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »

[img]

Oh stop.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »

Gutting the CDC in response to the Ebola epidemic is one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard in some time. Congratulations, Naso. Who needs anyone making sure the sick don't go crossing state lines unnecessarily, am I right?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »

Of course we should institute a travel ban on majorly affected nations. Anybody who's even so much as played Pandemic knows this is the first step. I have yet to hear a serious argument as to why we shouldn't. We now have multiple Ebola cases in America explicitly because of our refusal to take this necessary step.

Containment is the first step to resolving this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »

Can we use robots to treat Ebola patients? Because humans are human and make lots of little mistakes that lead to their contracting it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »

Of course we should institute a travel ban on majorly affected nations. Anybody who's even so much as played Pandemic knows this is the first step. I have yet to hear a serious argument as to why we shouldn't. We now have multiple Ebola cases in America explicitly because of our refusal to take this necessary step.

Containment is the first step to resolving this.

If travel is banned to affected nations, then no one will be able to go to the affected nations to assist in the effort against the disease. How can you contain the disease without actually going to the place the disease exists?

Unnecessary travel should, of course, be avoided.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »

If travel is banned to affected nations, then no one will be able to go to the affected nations to assist in the effort against the disease. How can you contain the disease without actually going to the place the disease exists?

Unnecessary travel should, of course, be avoided.

Obviously there would be exceptions. I'm talking about commercial travel.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 07:21:15 AM »

Of course if Ebola's origin wasn't Africa, Naso would take more moderate approach.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

Of course if Ebola's origin wasn't Africa, Naso would take more moderate approach.

What Would Ronald Reagan Do?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »

What Would Ronald Reagan Do?

Forget the whole thing.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

Make a folksy joke about it, say some vague bullsh**t which conservatives find 'inspiring' and proceed to do nothing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »

RIP OBAMA Cry
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

The typical pandering to get the vote of the nurse-union folks in GA ... Tongue
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/10/shep-smith-ebola-panic-not-worth-the-ratings-197152.html?hp=l17

Shep Smith the voice of reason yet again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies