During which period was Atlasia more fun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  During which period was Atlasia more fun?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: During which period was Atlasia more fun (for the record DemPGH resigned on 10/3 ?
The last month of DemPGH's Presidency
The period after DemPGH's resignation
It was just as much fun before DemPGH resigned as it was after he resigned
It sucked before DemPGH resigned and it sucks just as much now
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: During which period was Atlasia more fun?  (Read 835 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »

Well?

Option 2, imo.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »

I voted option 2, as did the citizens of Ganonsyoni.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »

Bump
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »

The last month, because then I didn't have to deal with people being like OH YEAH, WELL MY ARMY INVADED OKLAHOMA. Though I did appreciate Cranberry's attempts to organize all of the nonsense.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2014, 01:23:50 PM by Ectoplasm X »

Only 23 votes as of this post, but so far the results suggest that those who have been complaining about how "awful" the events after DemPGH's resignation have been compared to the old status quo are simply a very vocal minority.  The current results suggest that, contrary to conventional wisdom, a large plurality/small majority of Atlasians have been having more fun during the events that occurred after DemPGH's resignation that they were under the old system Smiley  If nothing else, this proves considering the post-DemPGH events more fun than the old system is hardly the fringe position some have tried to portray it as being.  Food for thought!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »

I still don't understand what's going on or what has changed besides these little side movements, but maybe I'm missing something here.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »

Roll Eyes k
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »

I still don't understand what's going on or what has changed besides these little side movements, but maybe I'm missing something here.

There has been a lot more interactivity and we've had crisis that (barring an awful GM or exceptionally competent/responsive regional executive) can't be legislated away in two seconds or fixed with a single deus ex machina post.  More importantly, whatever you may think of the merits of recent events (Northeastern secessionism, race riots, the Midwest crisis, the Atlasian Civil War, etc), it is pretty clear that people have been enjoying themselves more than they were under the old status quo.  Marokai argued that what has happened since DemPGH's resignation (specifically the increase in non-legislative interactivity for all players under SoIA Cranberry) was fundamentally different from what Atlasia is.  That may or may not be true, but if it is and a large plurality/slim majority of Atlasians had more fun during the post-DemPGH period while only a very vocal minority preferred the old system, I don't think it is unreasonable to start discussing whether the game needs to undergo some significant structural changes so that it becomes more fun for as many of its players as possible.  I'm happy to try things like legislative reboots, restructuring the government, etc, but I suspect even those won't fix the game's deeper structural problems.  And then you have some who say all we need are minor mechanical adjustments, but I suspect the impact of such small tweaks will be so negligible as to render them akin to doing nothing.  But I digress...

Truth hurts Tongue 

More importantly, what's your alternative?  I don't feel I need to ask Duke this because while we may disagree on what the best way to reform the game is, I don't think anyone can accuse Duke of not having already laid out a pretty extensive concept for how to fix the game (bicameral federal legislature, consolidation IIRC, and probably more things I'm forgetting atm).  As I've said before, if you disagree with what I've called for that's fine, but then I'd like to hear what you'd suggest we do instead, particularly given that it is clear a large plurality/small majority of players prefer what's happened since DemPGH's resignation to the old status quo.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Only 23 votes as of this post, but so far the results suggest that those who have been complaining about how "awful" the events after DemPGH's resignation have been compared to the old status quo are simply a very vocal minority.  The current results suggest that, contrary to conventional wisdom, a large plurality/small majority of Atlasians have been having more fun during the events that occurred after DemPGH's resignation that they were under the old system Smiley  If nothing else, this proves considering the post-DemPGH events more fun than the old system is hardly the fringe position some have tried to portray it as being.  Food for thought!

This defeats the point of hiding the results, no?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »

I've made the point that consolidation is the alternative for a long time. I'm not really sure why you re-entered the game, to be honest.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »

What kind of changes? Like a "war"? You say structural changes aside from consolidation or restructuring the government to make it more fun, but what does that mean? Will a civil war and race riots make more people want to play the game?

I guess the kids had fun during the chaos so they could act out, but I wasn't particularly interested in it.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

Also, I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all. I'm trying to understand what's going on.. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »

Only 23 votes as of this post, but so far the results suggest that those who have been complaining about how "awful" the events after DemPGH's resignation have been compared to the old status quo are simply a very vocal minority.  The current results suggest that, contrary to conventional wisdom, a large plurality/small majority of Atlasians have been having more fun during the events that occurred after DemPGH's resignation that they were under the old system Smiley  If nothing else, this proves considering the post-DemPGH events more fun than the old system is hardly the fringe position some have tried to portray it as being.  Food for thought!

It's also untrue. The majority of people in this poll voted an option other than "this last nonsense has been the most fun".
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »

2010 for me.

real answer: 2009.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2014, 08:21:01 PM by Ectoplasm X »

Only 23 votes as of this post, but so far the results suggest that those who have been complaining about how "awful" the events after DemPGH's resignation have been compared to the old status quo are simply a very vocal minority.  The current results suggest that, contrary to conventional wisdom, a large plurality/small majority of Atlasians have been having more fun during the events that occurred after DemPGH's resignation that they were under the old system Smiley  If nothing else, this proves considering the post-DemPGH events more fun than the old system is hardly the fringe position some have tried to portray it as being.  Food for thought!

It's also untrue. The majority of people in this poll voted an option other than "this last nonsense has been the most fun".

It was true when I made that post and option 2 still has nearly twice as many votes as "Atlasia was better when it was wounded animal begging to be put out of its misery."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »

Also, I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all. I'm trying to understand what's going on.. Tongue

I didn't take it as antagonistic Smiley  I guess my question for you would be this: who is to say that inserting race riots, economic crises, the occasional civil war or foreign invasion, etc into the game wouldn't make more people want to play and/or make it more fun for the greatest number of players?  What I had in mind was allowing players (and admittedly this would take some good-faith on everyone's part) to make up events and crises as we go and for the GM to incorporate them into a series of significantly more interactive story-lines whose outcomes depend upon how those involved (including elected officials) react (or fail to react in the case of the Midwest fiasco Tongue ).  I don't see what we have to lose from a month long trial period or something like that to see if it is sustainable in the long-term.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:53 PM »

So just make Atlasia chaos continuously?

I mean, we've had secessionist movements in the past, which is how the RPP was formed actually, but having the game in a constant state of chaos would be exhausting in my opinion. The GM needs to be the one to make up story lines. It would be a mess if we just allowed anyone to willy nilly make up story lines and crises I would think.

Has it really made Atlasia more fun? Is anyone having more fun? I don't think comparing it to the disastrous former President is a good measure of things since that administration shut down newspapers and fired GMs that did not cater to its needs. I don't think anyone but the most partisan Labor members would claim that period was a success.

Maybe its just me, but I'm not really entertained by people pretending to be young Vladimir Lenon's, civil war revolutionists,  or having riots in the streets. Maybe I'm just too old now to enjoy it, because like I said, I once led the Dirty South's secession in early 2008 and thought it was entertaining. Now I'm just an entrenched guy I guess.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »

I mean, we've had secessionist movements in the past, which is how the RPP was formed actually, but having the game in a constant state of chaos would be exhausting in my opinion. The GM needs to be the one to make up story lines. It would be a mess if we just allowed anyone to willy nilly make up story lines and crises I would think.

Has it really made Atlasia more fun? Is anyone having more fun? I don't think comparing it to the disastrous former President is a good measure of things since that administration shut down newspapers and fired GMs that did not cater to its needs. I don't think anyone but the most partisan Labor members would claim that period was a success.

Maybe its just me, but I'm not really entertained by people pretending to be young Vladimir Lenon's, civil war revolutionists,  or having riots in the streets. Maybe I'm just too old now to enjoy it, because like I said, I once led the Dirty South's secession in early 2008 and thought it was entertaining. Now I'm just an entrenched guy I guess.

That secession was organized. It had a philosophical basis. We were going to hold a vote to approve it, FFS. We changed Atlasia on a level that none since then have managed.

Now I don't pay too much attention, but from what I have seen the secessions these days seem to be much more fly-by-night lets-do-something-just-to-do-it impulsiveness. I am not opposed to secession or generally doing things to make the game interesting, but I feel like folks these days aren't trying like we did. There's no expectation of success there.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »

Maybe its just me, but I'm not really entertained by people pretending to be young Vladimir Lenon's, civil war revolutionists,  or having riots in the streets. Maybe I'm just too old now to enjoy it, because like I said, I once led the Dirty South's secession in early 2008 and thought it was entertaining. Now I'm just an entrenched guy I guess.

That secession was organized. It had a philosophical basis. We were going to hold a vote to approve it, FFS. We changed Atlasia on a level that none since then have managed.

Now I don't pay too much attention, but from what I have seen the secessions these days seem to be much more fly-by-night lets-do-something-just-to-do-it impulsiveness. I am not opposed to secession or generally doing things to make the game interesting, but I feel like folks these days aren't trying like we did. There's no expectation of success there.

You're right, that's my point. The new movements are just child's play in comparison. There's no structure, really no one banding together, it's just one person trying to start something and make a name for themselves or trying to be "different."

Our movement had a purpose back in 2008. We had a set list of things we wanted to see and we held a formal vote. We didn't just post a thread with demands and run around pretending to be a mock government and give each other nicknames.

But Atlasia in 2008 was lightyears beyond what it is today, so I guess it's unfair to compare the two periods.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »

Duke's reign. Obviously.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »

If we can answer other than the suggested choices I go for Winter/Spring 2013.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies