Should it be legal to request donors by race for artificial insemination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:50:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be legal to request donors by race for artificial insemination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should it be legal to request donors by race for artificial insemination?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Should it be legal to request donors by race for artificial insemination?  (Read 3952 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »

Might I point out that whether or not you approve of this is a completely different question.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »

How is it any different from knowing the race of an already-born child you're going to adopt?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »

How is it any different from knowing the race of an already-born child you're going to adopt?

Or considering race in selecting a mate?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:54:10 AM »

Sure it should be legal to request it, but it shouldn't be grounds for a suit if you don't end up with a donor of the race you wanted.  There shouldn't be any guarantee of the genetic characteristics beyond being healthy.  Otherwise it places too much of a burden on the child.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »

Of course, yes.  No question about it, yes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »

Certainly. Why not? And they should be completely forthright about the ethnicity or race of the donor and so on.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

I'm not sure why this is even something people want to discuss. Yes people like that their children look like themselves, that's not wrong and it's not racist.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »

Yes.  Reproductive autonomy is important, and liberals who oppose this should check their values at the door.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »

Yes.  Reproductive autonomy is important, and liberals who oppose this should check their values at the door.
This. Being pro-choice isn't just about abortion or some hillbillies in Colorado Springs or Greeley making fun of "Mark Uterus".

Reproductive Rights includes not only when you don't want to have children, but when you do want to have them. Provided that you can take of them afterwards lest they are taken into foster care. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »

This. Being pro-choice isn't just about abortion or some hillbillies in Colorado Springs or Greeley making fun of "Mark Uterus".

Reproductive Rights includes not only when you don't want to have children, but when you do want to have them. Provided that you can take of them afterwards lest they are taken into foster care. 

That, and the fact that a lot of these receivers of sperm are women whose husbands are impotent or something.  If the husband is Irish, what's wrong with requesting an Irish donor just to "get it close", so to speak.  Who is anyone to tell a woman to not care what her offspring look like?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

Well sure, its quite disrespectful to care about someone's race for raising a child, but it doesn't hurt anybody else.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »

Well sure, its quite disrespectful to care about someone's race for raising a child, but it doesn't hurt anybody else.
For the most part...
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »

Because adoption has nothing to do with genetic science
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

Technically, I guess the answer is "yes" because no one should be incarcerated for asking for a particular type of gamete. However, in the context of our discussion, which was about vending gametes, it should not be a legally enforceable aspect of the contract; therefore "no".

Nothing beyond viability, species, and male/female is suitable for contract enforcement. We are speaking about genetic science, not Sky Mall catalog shopping. You are not entitled to your own version of the rules, based upon your existential orientation. The government has limited power in this arena (for good measure), but using the commerce clause to put the kibosh on eugenics should be a foregone conclusion.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 08:55:17 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2014, 09:09:41 PM by Clarko95 »

I'm not sure why this is even something people want to discuss. Yes people like that their children look like themselves, that's not wrong and it's not racist.
I agree with you, but the reason it's being brought up is that a white woman requested artificial insemination and the donor was a black man, so now she's suing for not being informed. It's weird.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »

I don't believe in artificial insemination but what race they are makes no difference.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »

Is there any rational arguments against this? How can one be for reproductive freedom and also be against this?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »

I don't believe in artificial insemination but what race they are makes no difference.
Why not? Even if you disapprove of extramarital sex what difference does it make if two cells get mixed around in a jar?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »

Of course. And of course it should be actionable if the wrong donor is given.

The sperm bank is hired to provide a service, nothing more. If they give the wrong donor, they've failed to provide that service and breached their contract.

Someone who didn't want to raise a child of a different race is an HP, of course, but that's not the case in the case being discussed.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »

Is there any rational arguments against this? How can one be for reproductive freedom and also be against this?

because this is commerce, not reproductive freedom
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »

because this is commerce, not reproductive freedom

It's both. It's both things. Sometimes something can be two things.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »

I'm all about that bass, and maybe I like having musical children as well. 

Actually, I prefer children with good study habits.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I do admire your post-racial position.  I am curious, though, regarding your objection to artificial insemination.  I understand that it's not as much fun as procreating the old-fashioned way, but what if you married a woman with the plan of producing a brood of little TJs and discovered later that either you or she had some physical problem with making a baby? 

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 05:20:56 AM »

Why not? Even if you disapprove of extramarital sex what difference does it make if two cells get mixed around in a jar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »

Technically, I guess the answer is "yes" because no one should be incarcerated for asking for a particular type of gamete. However, in the context of our discussion, which was about vending gametes, it should not be a legally enforceable aspect of the contract; therefore "no".

Nothing beyond viability, species, and male/female is suitable for contract enforcement. We are speaking about genetic science, not Sky Mall catalog shopping. You are not entitled to your own version of the rules, based upon your existential orientation. The government has limited power in this arena (for good measure), but using the commerce clause to put the kibosh on eugenics should be a foregone conclusion.

That is like saying that if you go to a local restaurant and ask for a burger without onions and get onions anyway you have no right to complain.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism
I'm actually interested in his (or rather, his Church's) reasoning.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies