Is Homosexuality a sin? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Homosexuality a sin? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Being a gay is so gay.
100% sure, it's a sin

The deed is, but the attraction is not

It might be a sin, but I'm not sure

It's not a sin, Paul and Moses were refereing to something else

100% sure, it's not a sin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Is Homosexuality a sin?  (Read 8015 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: October 15, 2014, 06:52:12 AM »

Now, does the Bible think homosexuality is a sin? Sure it does.

I think the Bible is such a tangle of contradictions that to say it "thinks" any one thing is folly.

To think something is a sin and to love doing it is truly depraved and in this it also confirms the worst opinions of those who are homophobes.

Seems pretty easy to reconcile to me. Follow along:

1) I accept that some people have need for a category of actions they label "sinful".
2) To them, homosexuality falls into that category.
3) There is some overlap between what they would consider "sinful" and what I would call "wrong", but that overlap is not complete.
4) Homosexuality is not in that overlap.
5) Therefore I can accept that homosexuality is "sinful" (a category which means nothing to me) while not thinking it morally wrong, and enjoy it as I will.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »

And I'm saying that I see no reason to believe that the poster to whom you were responding shares the conception of "sin" that he's saying he enjoys doing. I might employ "sin" facetiously, as in, "I know it's a 'sin' to take the Lord's name in vain, but I enjoy doing it." The semantics aren't obscuring the point, they are the point.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »

I didn't see the mild humor in this bit:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:46:41 AM »

I'll concede that some people use "sin" to refer exclusively to actions deemed wrong by a deity, but I've always used it in a more generic sense, and I think my quote made clear I was using it in that sense, albeit with a bit of mild humor concerning the contrast with the theocentric sense, humor that apparently got lost and by now has been totally obliterated.

There's really two ways to think of those quips

1) Doing something one knows is wrong
2) Sticking a thumb in the eye of the socons

I think everyone was doing the latter, which is a bit immature, but not nearly as bad as the former option.

Meaning?

Meaning they're immature like that in-law of yours who insists on bringing up certain subjects to get a rise out of you.

But if your in-laws want to get a rise out of you because you keep telling them that their very lives are inherently sinful, maybe it's past time to re-evaluate whose actions are more offensive here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies