Is Homosexuality a sin? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:07:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Homosexuality a sin? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Being a gay is so gay.
100% sure, it's a sin

The deed is, but the attraction is not

It might be a sin, but I'm not sure

It's not a sin, Paul and Moses were refereing to something else

100% sure, it's not a sin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Is Homosexuality a sin?  (Read 8024 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 11, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »

I voted option 2; all sexual lust, as noted, is a sin. But all humans, regardless of their sexual orientation, are sinners. Homosexual love is just as wonderful in God's eyes as heterosexual love.

I don't want to get too graphic, but isn't sexual lust required for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman?   Does God want humans to slowly die off?  Or, is it that God will be angry if you don't have a big old Christian family, but he's also going to be angry whenever you have a boner?  That's a tad Kafkaesque, isn't it? 

I don't see how its any different from a variety of other vices. Do you think it's Kafkaesque to like food and condemn gluttony? We may disagree on the line, but the idea that there should be a line isn't very controversial IMO.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »

I'll concede that some people use "sin" to refer exclusively to actions deemed wrong by a deity, but I've always used it in a more generic sense, and I think my quote made clear I was using it in that sense, albeit with a bit of mild humor concerning the contrast with the theocentric sense, humor that apparently got lost and by now has been totally obliterated.

There's really two ways to think of those quips

1) Doing something one knows is wrong
2) Sticking a thumb in the eye of the socons

I think everyone was doing the latter, which is a bit immature, but not nearly as bad as the former option.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »

I'll concede that some people use "sin" to refer exclusively to actions deemed wrong by a deity, but I've always used it in a more generic sense, and I think my quote made clear I was using it in that sense, albeit with a bit of mild humor concerning the contrast with the theocentric sense, humor that apparently got lost and by now has been totally obliterated.

There's really two ways to think of those quips

1) Doing something one knows is wrong
2) Sticking a thumb in the eye of the socons

I think everyone was doing the latter, which is a bit immature, but not nearly as bad as the former option.

Meaning?

Meaning they're immature like that in-law of yours who insists on bringing up certain subjects to get a rise out of you.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2014, 08:15:35 PM by DC Al Fine »

You just have to use your common sense. Society will always change and hopefully improve and progress, but we'll never have any information about what God wants or even whether God exists.  So, it makes sense to just make your religion fall in line with being a decent human being, or else just keep it to yourself.  It's the same with how Christianity in the civilized world has moved past the idea that witchcraft is a thing.  Maybe God is super, super pissed at America for not burning witches.  That's doesn't mean we should set middle aged women on fire or mistreat gay people just to be sure. 

That's the thing about religion.  It's not about these specific rules, it's about spirituality and the ritual aspect.  So, when the rules are clearly wrong, just change them for crying out loud.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that the "common sense" and "decent human being" are incredibly nebulous things and often defined by the proponent of such arguments as "what I agree with".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies