Hillary Clinton finds a message in Philly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:08:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Clinton finds a message in Philly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton finds a message in Philly  (Read 957 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
« edited: October 10, 2014, 07:14:52 PM by Mr. Morden »

Ignoring Politico's concern trolling, this was a pretty good article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/pennsylvania-governor-race-2014-tom-wolf-hillary-clinton-111760.html?ml=tb
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »

What does that mean?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

I used to enjoy reading Politico. For me, their reporting went sour in January 2013.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »

It means the old populist from 2008 is still alive in her, and she still knows how to talk about issues that Americans actually care about? This is good news from the perspective of Democrats... Frankly, the "Hard Choices" routine that she's been doing over the past year has been dry and uninspiring.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »

There's something to the tone in her voice here that makes me really excited about her upcoming candidacy Cheesy: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/10/10/hillary_clinton_stumps_for_tom_wolf_he_will_never_tell_women_stop_complaining.html
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »

So she's going to pick Tom Wolf as her VP?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »

Wonderful news! I can't wait to witness her 40-state victory in 2016!
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »

I can't wait for this board to erupt in shame on November 3rd, 2016.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

I can't wait for this board to erupt in shame on November 3rd, 2016.

Shame from what?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2014, 10:33:15 PM by smilo »

I was fortunate enough to be in attendance, and I was very impressed. Moved up about 25 spots on my top 100 to around #70 for 2016 so far this year between this and to a lesser extent, her 2 appearances on Comedy Central. Definitely liked Obama over her in 08 as far as Dems go, but Warren is no Obama (not that she'd run) and Sanders certainly isn't. I don't know what actual Democrat that will run I would support over her right now if Schweitzer disappears. Mark Warner is the only other one being seriously discussed (and perhaps Webb) that has a remote chance of challenging her. In a GE, I'd strongly consider her over Bush and some of those overrated "Midwestern Dark Horses" as well as Cruz/Perry/Romney and half of the fringe far right candidates.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »

I was fortunate enough to be in attendance, and I was very impressed. Moved up about 25 spots on my top 100 to around #70 for 2016 so far this year between this and to a lesser extent, her 2 appearances on Comedy Central. Definitely liked Obama over her in 08 as far as Dems go, but Warren is no Obama (not that she'd run) and Sanders certainly isn't. I don't know what actual Democrat that will run I would support over her right now if Schweitzer disappears. Mark Warner is the only other one being seriously discussed (and perhaps Webb) that has a remote chance of challenging her. In a GE, I'd strongly consider her over Bush and some of those overrated "Midwestern Dark Horses" as well as Cruz/Perry/Romney and half of the fringe far right candidates.

That's pretty interesting that you'd even consider voting for Hillary (and were attending a Democratic rally) considering your avatar and PM score. I'm curious, tell me more about yourself. Tongue
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »

That's pretty interesting that you'd even consider voting for Hillary (and were attending a Democratic rally) considering your avatar and PM score. I'm curious, tell me more about yourself. Tongue

Charisma means a lot to me (more than it should), and I care more about having a competent leader than being an ideologue. Either way, #70 is not very high even if some possible GOP nominees are behind her. I truly hope those I mentioned get no traction. In 08, I supported McCain despite his warmongering (which I wold have to overlook for many anyway), and in 2012 I voted Gary Johnson despite but preferred Obama to Romney. Ideally want Rand, Huntsman, Christie, Ryan or maybe Schweitzer in 2016. Don't think charisma is the only reason I'd support a Democrat though - horseshoe theory explains why my PM scores continuously support certain centre left democrat (far left by US standards), though perhaps not necessarily a centre right (centre left by US standards) candidate like Clinton.

As far as my attendance, I went as an objective observer considering is was meant as a women's issues conference. Not much clapping from me, but I was sure to dress extra left wing that day as not to stand out. As a pro-lifer, I was certainly not clapping especially when Alyson Schwartz spoke, but Rendell and Casey were fine. Wolf was tense. With Hillary so likely to be the next president, I really was dying to get to see her up and close. You don't get too many chances to do that during your life and the timing was perfect after my last midterm and before I go home. Was fortunate enough to beg my way into the VIP section so I really got up close, about 5 feet away as she walked out.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Even if that happened, why are you so excited?

The fine fellows below me will make Clinton's agenda flounder as ineffectively as Obama's:

KCDem

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

The fine fellows below me will make Clinton's agenda flounder as ineffectively as Obama's:

They will have no power after the 2014 and 2016 waves.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »

Not happening, old chum.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »

By January of 2017, John Boehner will be dead of lung/skin cancer and Mitch McConnell will have been run over by a car.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »

Her message doesn't sound any different than Obama.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »

Charisma means a lot to me (more than it should), and I care more about having a competent leader than being an ideologue. Either way, #70 is not very high even if some possible GOP nominees are behind her. I truly hope those I mentioned get no traction. In 08, I supported McCain despite his warmongering (which I wold have to overlook for many anyway), and in 2012 I voted Gary Johnson despite but preferred Obama to Romney. Ideally want Rand, Huntsman, Christie, Ryan or maybe Schweitzer in 2016. Don't think charisma is the only reason I'd support a Democrat though - horseshoe theory explains why my PM scores continuously support certain centre left democrat (far left by US standards), though perhaps not necessarily a centre right (centre left by US standards) candidate like Clinton.

As far as my attendance, I went as an objective observer considering is was meant as a women's issues conference. Not much clapping from me, but I was sure to dress extra left wing that day as not to stand out. As a pro-lifer, I was certainly not clapping especially when Alyson Schwartz spoke, but Rendell and Casey were fine. Wolf was tense. With Hillary so likely to be the next president, I really was dying to get to see her up and close. You don't get too many chances to do that during your life and the timing was perfect after my last midterm and before I go home. Was fortunate enough to beg my way into the VIP section so I really got up close, about 5 feet away as she walked out.

Very interesting. I didn't know there was a such thing as "left wing dress attire". Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »

If Hillary wins in 2016, Democrats more likely than not retain (or win back) the Senate.

As for the House, that's a lot more uncertain. But it's not completely implausible that a big Hillary win (assuming it has coattails) could cause Dems to retake it.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »

But it's not completely implausible that a big Hillary win (assuming it has coattails) could cause Dems to retake it.

Actually, it is.

I will concede control of the Senate might be up in the air, but I'm afraid if Ms. Clinton wants to get any bills to her desk she will have to go through this charming fellow here:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »

But it's not completely implausible that a big Hillary win (assuming it has coattails) could cause Dems to retake it.

Actually, it is.

I will concede control of the Senate might be up in the air, but I'm afraid if Ms. Clinton wants to get any bills to her desk she will have to go through this charming fellow here:

The gerrymandering certainly helps the GOP in the House, but it's not a lock for them. I believe I read an analysis saying that Democrats need to win the House PV by 5-6 points or so to take it back. They won it by 8 points in 2006 and 11 points in 2008 (and the GOP won it by 7 points in 2010), so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

Very interesting. I didn't know there was a such thing as "left wing dress attire". Tongue

Probably hipster style. Tongue Certainly no suit what so ever. Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »

Intriguing. Was it handwritten?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »